Sign in with
Your question

How do I reinstall Graphics Card and other questions?

Last response: in Windows XP
May 4, 2006 2:53:57 PM

Here's my problem: I been experiencing problems that have been giving me the dreaded "blue screen of death". I'm not sure if it's a hardware or software problem that is causing the errors but anyway to get back on topic, I attempted to correct the problem by repairing Windows. Everything went fine until I went to load the Nvidia Forceware Drivers version 8xxx something. Rebooted, problems again. Had to restart Windows with the last good configuration (minus the Nvidia Forceware drivers). So, I thought maybe if I unstall the device (Nvidia 5200 FX 128 MB) and let Windows find it again it will setup properly. I went into device manger and removed the device and then tryed to do a search for new hardware but for reason I'm having difficulty detecting it. It just shows the generic VGA adapter. Incidently, when I look in device manager it shows an yellow exclamination point (!) over the VGA adapter.

Can someone give me advice on what I need to do in order for Windows to find my 5200 and install it? Am I going to have to resort to actually physically removing the card and reinstalling it in order for Windows to find it??

Also, one other question, if I decide to reformat my hard drive and start from scratch. Is there anything special I need to know before proceeding?

Thanks in advance for help you can provide.

-Danny
May 6, 2006 12:37:53 AM

Did you get the drivers from the nVidia site? I just installed XP and when I did the updates I was dumb enough :oops:  to use the video drivers the Windows Update showed. Totally screwed up the video. Uninstalled that driver and got the most recent driver from the nVidia website, installed it, just Click on the .exe file, and everything is working.
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
a b U Graphics card
June 21, 2011 9:10:41 AM

hi. I had exactly the same problem and still haven't resolved it. Have you had any luck???

dmoritz said:
Here's my problem: I been experiencing problems that have been giving me the dreaded "blue screen of death". I'm not sure if it's a hardware or software problem that is causing the errors but anyway to get back on topic, I attempted to correct the problem by repairing Windows. Everything went fine until I went to load the Nvidia Forceware Drivers version 8xxx something. Rebooted, problems again. Had to restart Windows with the last good configuration (minus the Nvidia Forceware drivers). So, I thought maybe if I unstall the device (Nvidia 5200 FX 128 MB) and let Windows find it again it will setup properly. I went into device manger and removed the device and then tryed to do a search for new hardware but for reason I'm having difficulty detecting it. It just shows the generic VGA adapter. Incidently, when I look in device manager it shows an yellow exclamination point (!) over the VGA adapter.

Can someone give me advice on what I need to do in order for Windows to find my 5200 and install it? Am I going to have to resort to actually physically removing the card and reinstalling it in order for Windows to find it??

Also, one other question, if I decide to reformat my hard drive and start from scratch. Is there anything special I need to know before proceeding?

Thanks in advance for help you can provide.

-Danny

Related resources
June 21, 2011 11:07:11 AM

Uninstall the drivers by opening device manager
Restart your computer
and on windows logon let the Windows install the drivers automatically.
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
a b U Graphics card
June 21, 2011 11:21:31 AM

The NVIDIA option in Device Manager has disappeared completely after I disabled it. It only shows the generic card now and I can't play games with the generic card and the res is fuzzy.
December 17, 2013 3:26:40 AM

i have intel chipset g45 ...if i uninstall it to install a nvidia graphics card.. can i reinstall the old chipset?
!