AMD/ATI r600 delay reasons revealed by AMD

I think the driver comment isn't a 'reason for delay' so much as a reply like the following;

"You're late with the R600.."
"Yeah, but the competition can't get their drviers to work so it's not life/death".

I don't think the drivers was a reason for delay, but if someone points out your weakeness you point out the opposition's and you take note that the extra time let's you improve further.

I think the replies in this interview (posted by Cleeve) were a little more enlightening;
http://www.pcgameshardware.de/?article_id=573129

Really without the pressure to release a product, there seems little reason to rush, and instead they can have a more solid launch and have something to show for it. I still think it's PR/Marketing crap, but it makes sense more than just drivers since M$ has been playing with the R600 for a while for FSX, and even those devs commented on the immaturity of G80 drivers as not being a comeling reason to get the FSX DX10 Beta patch out in a hurry.

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
I am so pizzzzzed -odffff--with this delay on top of the fact its barely better then the gtx - and it uses 100 more watts - why do we care?

i have been waiting for the r600 for months finally i bought some x1950xtx's through in my machine and then i sold them last week.

now its April no r600! i can not believe it no press!

i am ordering a nvidia 8800 after i type this!

mcain591

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2006
Ughh, you've been outta the loop for a little, haven't you? The x2900XTX will be 65nm, thereby cutting power requirements by 1/3.

I am so pizzzzzed -odffff--with this delay on top of the fact its barely better then the gtx - and it uses 100 more watts - why do we care?

It was never 100W more, it was about 50W more (the OEM version added another 20W for the 24W fan alone) and no one knows which is better yet.

finally i bought some x1950xtx's through in my machine and then i sold them last week.

If you bought them when they came out then you had a chance to enjoy them when they were number 1, if you bought them after the G80 came out then you're an idjit !!

Yeah, because buying that now makes the most sense instead of months ago. :roll:

It's almost here, but now you're mad, not when the delay was announced a month ago. Your best idea would be to buy your card the day before the R600 and GF8900 launch because that makes the most sense, riiiiight!! :roll:

For some reason I just don't believe your story, but even if it's true it's just proof you're a tool, little else.

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
As long as they make something that consumes less power than a dragon that was asleep for 500 years and suddenly woke up and consumes everything... they might as well delay it a couple of months. It's worth the waiting...

slashzapper

Distinguished
May 3, 2006

i have been waiting for the r600 for months finally i bought some x1950xtx's through in my machine and then i sold them last week.

now its April no r600! i can not believe it no press!

Easy Tiger :lol:

Relax ..now after me .rrreeeeelllaaaaaaxxxx , Patience is a virtue my friend :D the turtle wins the race , good things happen to those who wait ..see where i am going with this ...READ MY SIG :D

nicolasb

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2006
Ughh, you've been outta the loop for a little, haven't you? The x2900XTX will be 65nm, thereby cutting power requirements by 1/3.
I'm afraid you're a little behind the times yourself: that particular rumour has now been thoroughly debunked. R600 has always been 80nm, and will be 80nm. End of story.

DarkTide

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
Even if the R600 is faster than the G80 it's not like the G80 owners are going to be hurting for performance. The difference is the G80 owners have been enjoying their new toy for a few months already while the DAAMIT fans wait for the R600.

Well... unless you own the G80 and Vista... :roll: