I/O Controller Hub Overheating?

newnerd

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2006
Hi All:
I recently bought an "open box" Intel DG965WH motherboard for an inexpensive pc build to try out Vista O.S. The Intel Desktop Utilities is showing a temperature on the I/O Controller Hub of 80-82C. I have the same motherboard in my main home theater pc and the ICH runs 10 degrees cooler. The temperature reading is in the upper limits of optimal temperatures. Both cases have good ventilation and all other motherboard component temperatures are very good. Do I have a problem with the passive cooling on the ICH on the Vista pc? It never goes above 82C but always reaches that level within a few minutes of operation. Could the difference be due to the Vista operating system vs XP MCE2005 O.S. Anyone have some thoughts about this?

newnerd

tbuzz

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2007

Newnerd,
How are ya? I dont know if you will see this but, i see that there are no replies to your post and i was wondering if you ever found an answer to your problem, with the overheating? Because i have the same mobo and i am having the same overheating problem. If you or anyone else could help it would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
tbuzz

Xens

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
I too am having the same issues with the same MOBO. Been pulling my hair trying to decide if it is graphics card or I/O controller hub temps causing my computer to shut down during game play. Mostly only happens while playing Everquest, but seems decent with some lag during World of Warcraft. Any insight? any ideas? any input? I am to the point of modifying my case to add yet another fan. I currently have a rear chassis fan, front fan, processor fan, 2 built in power supply fans, and a fan on the graphics card fan.

mobo DG965WH
4 x1gig sticks of RAM
3.4 ghz Pentium 4 processor on a LGA 775 socket
PNY Verto Nvidia Geforce 9600GT graphics card PCIe
450 watt power supply (Gearmax)
using onboard IDT audio (best working driver hard to find (XP driver had issues))
onboard LAN
80 gig SATA hard drive
Windows XP service pack 3

Darren_1138

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
I have had an overheating problem for over 2 years, I built my computer and only have successfully used it 5 times with out it restarting on me. I have narrowed it down to the MOBO. My ICH idles at 72C and when the computer is doing anything apart from just being on It overheats and restarts. I wouldn't recommend adding fans. I had 3 fans starting in my computer and gradually moved up to 8. It didn't help at all! For those with this same board, same problem I recommend getting a new motherboard.

tempaccount

Honorable
Mar 29, 2013
I had same problem. ICH was 80+ degree. I had small cpu fan in my very old PC (not in use). I put that fan on ICH heatsink and now ICH is 66 degree :)