N85050

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2007
Hey ppl im a new guy here haha yeah big noob. I just got a ps3 and wanted to get it goin on the internet wirelessly. My network needs to be fixed up for sure. I have a 2wire home portal 1000hw originally set up on a pc running windows me which is not working properly. I have a second computer running windows xp home off a d-link di-604 router via eithernet cable. When i got things going at 1st it took me forever to get the d-link router working correctly and internet on the second computer which im using as we speak. I havent messed with the other computer for a good 8months since i had this working one and i use my ipod with it but when i got the ps3 i wanted to get that goin. I tried to get to my homeportal homepage to have a look at the settings but it wont come up anymore on either computer so i was thinking about using the system restore disk to reset the screwed up pc back to factory but im worreid i would lose internet on both computers which wouldnt be good since im hoping i can get some major help from u guy since sbc/at&t and 2wire customer support isnt worth a damn. I've learned alot about quite a few things an it seems to be the best place for help and to learn. Im pretty rusty on the computer lingo n such if u wouldnt mind dumbing it down for me till i catch on lol it would be appreciated along with everything else. Oh and i would like to say that i did search some and try to view the faq but the link no longer works. I dont like bein the the noob so please put up with my dumb questions. thanx for any help u can give me guys

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
It's been several years since I have done a 2Wire setup.

The 2wire is a good system if setup properly. You need to connect directly to the 1000hw to get to the setup page. If you have any extra pna transevers you can use the them anywhere you have a phone, if your house was wired correctly. The one I worked on only had a 11b wireless.

The the Dlink router will work like a normal router. But you will need to clone the mac address of the working pc in to the dlink router WAN settings. This way the 2wire will only see 1 pc (router) on the lan. All other pc using the HomePNA will still work.

As far as gaming you will be much better off connected by wire vs wireless. You may have to turn the dlink into a switch. To do this turnoff dhcp in the Dlink. then connect the dlink router with one of the lan port, not the wan (internet) to the 2wire. You may also need to setup port forwarding in 2wire for your game to work correctly.

N85050

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2007
i got another quick question that is a lil o/t. Whats the difference between a cat5e ethernet cable and a cat6?

Iceblue

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
i got another quick question that is a lil o/t. Whats the difference between a cat5e ethernet cable and a cat6?
Unless you have a special situation, the only pertinent difference is price.

Cat5e is sufficient for anything up to gigabit ethernet (1000Mbps). Cat6 will NOT be the cable of choice for the next step up (10000Mbps). Cat6 is a superior cable to Cat5e, but has no practical benefit for the vast majority of 1000Mbps or lower ethernet installations, and does not prepare the installation for future upgrades to 10gigabit.

Hence, the only pertinent difference is price.

If you are terminating your own cables, it is also a bigger PITA to work with.