Sign in with
Your question

Airflow through a Coolermaster Centurion 534

Last response: in Components
April 2, 2007 5:27:11 PM

I just ordered a http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681... today. I have been pondering the best setup to use for maximum airflow with this case. It comes stock with a 120mm side intake fan and a 120mm rear exhaust. It was odd to me that they decided to not put an intake on the front and put one on the side instead. I will definitely be using one of my spare 80mm fans as a front intake so I guess what concerns me the most is that there is no top exhaust whatsoever, be it a fan or just some ventilation holes. I certainly don't mind to get the drill out and alleviate that issue, but what would be my best course of action? Should I just put some vent holes in or should I put in an 80mm exhaust...or something different altogether? I really want to get this all done before I start throwing my other compnents in there, much better to get it done right the first time than to throw it all together and be regretful later on :) 

EDIT: Just remembered that there is an exhaust just above the side 120mm fan, would it be worthwhile to rig a fan up to accerate this exhaust?
April 2, 2007 5:53:01 PM

Quote:
I just ordered a http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681... today. I have been pondering the best setup to use for maximum airflow with this case. It comes stock with a 120mm side intake fan and a 120mm rear exhaust. It was odd to me that they decided to not put an intake on the front and put one on the side instead. I will definitely be using one of my spare 80mm fans as a front intake so I guess what concerns me the most is that there is no top exhaust whatsoever, be it a fan or just some ventilation holes. I certainly don't mind to get the drill out and alleviate that issue, but what would be my best course of action? Should I just put some vent holes in or should I put in an 80mm exhaust...or something different altogether? I really want to get this all done before I start throwing my other compnents in there, much better to get it done right the first time than to throw it all together and be regretful later on :) 

EDIT: Just remembered that there is an exhaust just above the side 120mm fan, would it be worthwhile to rig a fan up to accerate this exhaust?

The entire front bezel from top to bottom is meshed, the case has excllent front intake airflow as a result. You might consider using a 120 mm fan adapter and replacing the front 80 mm fan with the larger, more efficient 120 fan, but you may not even need that modification to achieve more than adequate case cooling. I have a different version of this case and along with a Zalman 9500 HSF the case provides one of the best cooling solutions to any system I have ever built. HTH.
April 2, 2007 6:51:00 PM

I have a Centurion 532 and I believe mine had a mount for a 120 up front, a 120 exhaust, and an 80 on the side. In the 6th image of your case, on newegg's images, it looks like there might be mounting holes for a 120 in front but you might have to drill out a bigger hole. It's hard to tell.

I put a 80mm fan where that airhorn thing is to blow air directly on my CPU.

It's a good case, pretty quiet if you use a quieter CPU fan and a quieter GFX card fan. And lightweight.
April 3, 2007 11:17:36 AM

So I really shouldn't mess with the top of the case since it has adequate ventilation already?
!