Sign in with
Your question

Thanks TheGreatGrapeApe on DX10. I have Xbox solution

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 2, 2007 6:53:29 PM

I this case you lead a horse to water and he will drink.

My two AGP DX10 threads have become so filled with excellent feedback that I became overwhemed keeping up with them however I did stumble on feedback from TheGreatGrapeApe that has put the whole thing to bed for me.

I had wanted to add an upcoming AGP DX10 card to my overclocked to 3.4 Mz P4 system. I posted that I would be satisfied running Crysis at a lower rez and lower quality setting.

TheGreatGrapeApe reminded me that -I cant believe I didnt consider this myself- "whats the point in DX10 at lower settings you may as well run DX9.".

After all of the other complex but excellent feedback from members this little common sense comment made the whole issue as clear as day.

Rather than spend on a AGP DX10 card, I have decided to use this P4 machine and a decent DX9 card in the same room with an Xbox 360. I have two

http://www.ecoustics.com/avrev/princeton/

monitors where one will host the Xbox and the other one the P4 PC. The P4 PC basically becomes a Home Theater PC.

The Xbox 360 will put out analog 6.1 audio thru my Megaworks 6.1 speakers using Creative Labs I/O drive.

I can now focus on building new a dual or quad core machine and adding a PCIe card latter when I can also afford a 30" 2500 X ??? rez monitor.

Thats for leading this "old horse" to water.
April 2, 2007 7:01:44 PM

My Home Theater room will have a P4 alongside Xbox technology and another room will have this new PC that I will build that has DX10.

I get the best of both gaming worlds.

Total cost of this new Xbox 360 approach:
Xbox approx 400
New DX10 PC approx 1500

Total cost of my old AGP DX10 approach (non Xbox 360):
AGP DX10 card approx 250-300 ??
New DX10 PC approx 1500

Almost the same money but with this new approach I get an Xbox 360 platform and a DX10 platform.
April 2, 2007 7:52:16 PM

A 30" LCD with a resolution of 2560x1600 will be at least $1600, and you'd need two 8800GTXs to really play at that resolution.
Related resources
April 2, 2007 8:03:28 PM

Why not skip buying the 360, and put the $400-500 you'd save towards your new system. Not to mention the money you'd have to spend on 360 games.
April 2, 2007 9:05:18 PM

If I bypass on the Xbox 360 then I still must do something to make the P4 system gameable. Id have to spend on a DX9 card that does not require I change my power supply. The P4 currently has a ATI 9100 64 meg card.

Maybe I could get a decent card for $150. We'll see.

The best part is that I no longer think about AGP DX10.
April 2, 2007 10:17:40 PM

Good cause there probably never will be a DX10 AGP card. :lol: 
It's time that technology dies.
James
April 3, 2007 7:31:02 AM

Quote:
I can now focus on building new a dual or quad core machine and adding a PCIe card latter when I can also afford a 30" 2500 X ??? rez monitor.

:? :? Quad core -Dual core , won't you need a new motherboard , can anyone please tell me why would you build a quad or dual cpu system and not have a PCie card 8O .

While you are drinking the water have a swim , :lol:  which actually may help re-energize your brain cells.

Good luck horsy :D 
April 3, 2007 2:31:17 PM

James 8970, AGP DX10 may in fact arrive. It will be a godsend for some people. With my situation though I am better off not getting one.

I will build an entirely new system either quad or dual core later this year after DX10 games arrive.

In the meantime I'll have a use 360 paired with the old PC.
April 3, 2007 3:47:03 PM

Quote:

:? :? Quad core -Dual core , won't you need a new motherboard , can anyone please tell me why would you build a quad or dual cpu system and not have a PCie card 8O .

While you are drinking the water have a swim , :lol:  which actually may help re-energize your brain cells.

Someone needs to lay off the crack pipe.
April 3, 2007 4:43:46 PM

Quote:

You seem to have a blurry vision of the situation here LOL :) 
April 3, 2007 4:56:09 PM

Quote:
Good cause there probably never will be a DX10 AGP card. :lol: 
It's time that technology dies.
James

That would be nice if it could die, but unfortunately AMD has announce the R600, R630, R610 are compatible with an AGP bridge chip, so ATi will be spitting out some DX10 hardware, may take a year or so for a lower powered version of the R600 to come out feasible for DX10 but it can happen and most likely will.

Its just like IDE DVD/CD rom drives, why can't they go away and join the SATA fun, and why do they keep making OS/2 keyboards and mice, USB ftw!!!!
April 3, 2007 5:00:51 PM

Quote:
why do they keep making OS/2 keyboards and mice, USB ftw!!!!

They make those for those 2 people that still uses DOS and Windows 3.1
April 3, 2007 5:30:28 PM

Quote:
The best part is that I no longer think about AGP DX10.

Wrong, when ati releases the r600 line up it will have a bridge adaptor for them to work with agp's. :wink:
April 3, 2007 5:30:47 PM

Quote:
im just using a DX10 x3000 part from intel it supports dx10 and dx 9
i have a DG965OT intel motherboard right now and my games play great
I'm sure. :roll:
a b U Graphics card
April 3, 2007 5:50:52 PM

Well I think if your focus is to wait for the better CPUs and the actual full compliment of DX10 cards when they are most needed it's a good strategy.

I don't do the either/or, I have an Xbox and PSP, and PC. My only limitation now is Laptop, but they are powerful enough finally for my needs.

So, if you're waiting for a solid CPU combination and going to focus the money wisely then it's a good strategy.

I agree with the person who said maybe taking the $400 from the Xbox and investing in the new build is also a good idea, but to each their own, there are some benefits of the Xbox because if the games you want are there, then you can focus on what you want for software dev, where I think even a dual socket (thus 2 x quad maybe) is also attractive if you find the right MoBo, I just helped a friend build a new dual socket solution for his design rig, and he's starting with just 1 dual core CPU and upgrading to a second one once his tax return comes back.

The main thing is to look at what you expect out of it and whether the money is well spent. Rememebr Xbox games are often more expensive at launch and you are somewhat limited so there is that factor, but as long as you take the time you were going to spend waiting for the DX10 AGP solutions, and instead invest it into building the best rig for the money, with or without the Xbox, I think that's a good strategy.
a b U Graphics card
April 3, 2007 6:22:54 PM

Thank goodness you figured out what you're doing because I don't think the forumz can handle another thread with you whining about what to do with your gimpy P4 system.

Personally, I'd build a DX10 rig, turn the P4 system into an HTPC, and still get a console. And, I wouldn't have needed two threads to do it, but that's just me...
April 3, 2007 6:42:17 PM

chunkymonster, that what I am doing.

Did you read my post ?
April 3, 2007 7:03:41 PM

die AGP die die! :twisted:

Actually, I was digging around in my storage unit looking for a low-voltage AGP card (couldn't use any of my many Riva 128s) and I found my Quadro 980 XGL (equivalent to Ti4200). I was all like "hot damn! where have you been?!" So now my planed storage server might also do a little DX9 gaming on the side. Sometimes it's really nice just to get a bunch of friends together and play some older games so no one has to worry about having recently dropped several hundreds of dollars on a new 'puter or console :)  Starcraft 4evar.
a b U Graphics card
April 3, 2007 7:27:08 PM

You mean DX8.0 gaming right? :wink:

No BF2 or Oblivion for you! :evil: 

At least not without a mod or two.
April 3, 2007 9:10:46 PM

Quote:
You mean DX8.0 gaming right? :wink:

No BF2 or Oblivion for you! :evil: 

At least not without a mod or two.

Oh yeah... I knew that :p 

Eh, screw BF2, EA needs to learn2code. That game came out years ago and it was like "Now you need 256mb GFX RAM, oh, and it's BUGGY as all hell, weeeeeee" and then I was like "excuse me what?" and they were like "no, we're serious" and then I stopped caring about anything EA did... Besides I'm planning on getting a PCIe x1950Pro for my main rig soon :)  This will just be an underclocked P4 rig that a guest can at least play some stuff on and a storage server/folding rig the rest of the time.

Never played oblivion. In general I'm not a fan of games that don't run well on anything when they are first released. Eye candy < playability and game design < my bank account. If nothing else hookers > oblivion and you could finance a pretty decent trip to vegas for the price of a high-end gaming machine that has to be replaced yearly.

When it starts to get to the point where it would be cheaper to shoot things for real it's time to reconsider your hobby xD Seriously, you can walk into a sporting goods store and buy a top-of-the-line handgun, shotgun, or rifle for less than some people spend on a GFX card and then you never have to buy another one ever again. They don't go obsolete xD If they just made one that could also check my email I'd drop computers all together xD WAIT! I copyright that idea along with any similar balistic weapons with user interface network browsing capabilities (i'm gonna be rich).

uh... back on topic: yay! No more AGP. Now I can focus on destroying the last remnants of PS2, FDD (hate FDD so much), and other things from the 80s that, like disco, just refuse to die. Less than 10 years later AGP is well on it's way out but that damnedable FDD...
April 4, 2007 4:59:58 AM

You got that right :oops: 

I am sorry i didn't read the "get the pcie latter part"

also for the record i don't smoke BAD habit , now drinking beers well :p 
!