Computer slow - ran almost every check and still nothing

koken2

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2006
Hey everyone. My comp recently suffered something that is making it run extremely slow (the mouse lags, booting up windows takes about 5 min, divx files run really slowly) and I don't know what it was.

I've run avg anti virus on both partitions of the harddrive, panda online virus scan, adaware, windows defender, cleaned out the registry with 2 programs, ran ewido, error checked both partitions and defragged both partitions. I've even checked every process in task manager and it's all clean.The computer is still running pathetically slow.

This has happened before and a reformat fixed it (this is becoming a pain because the last time i did this was only 3 weeks ago) but i would not like it to happen again and want to know the reason behind this. I'm running an athlon 1900+ and recently added a 6600gt and a seagate 80gb harddrive from my old wd 40gb.

If anyone can provide any help whatsoever please do so. Thanks

TechMaster

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2004
Without knowing too much of your surfing habits online, I would guess that you may be visiting some websites that may contain potential harmful scripts on them that are contributing to your slow PC. I am assuming that you always update your machine with all the current windows updates, update your antivirus and all other software updates for your machine. right????

Another reason for slow PC performance is that Windows has a slow memory leak. So if you do not turn off or reboot your PC often, your computer will start using more memory resources causing your PC to run slower. As a common practice, try to reboot your PC at least twice per week.

How much memory do you have installed? What OS are you using?

Good luck!

Cheers!

koken2

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2006
Hey thanks for the help, but my comp is clean :S. I never leave my computer on overnight let alone for weeks. I just finished reformatting and it worked perfectly.... but i defragmented and everything screwed up again.... I think there's a problem with the harddrive. This is really grinding my gears.

Thanks anyway.

P.s. I've run 3 registry programs now and still nothing.

Gneisenau

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
May also want to run a registry repair tool like RegScrubXP... I had a computer here that was doing something similar and running RegScrub fixed it up nicely.

It's amazing the information tucked away in these forums. I have been fighting this problem for weeks. Windows boots slowly, every program I open for the first time after a reboot takes forever to open. I have tried every repair/test/virus/spyware program I have. No luck.

So I read back through the forums and low and behold I saw this post. I tried RegScrub and bam! Everything runs much faster now. Thanks Zoron for the information. Months after you created this post, it's still helping people.

TRENDING THREADS