Sign in with
Your question

Intel Users Less Intelligent Than AMD

Last response: in CPUs
April 2, 2007 9:27:44 PM

Hmm.....I use an Intel and an AMD....does that make me only half stupid? :D  :lol: 

(I also use an ATI and an Nvidia....hmmm.....)
a b à CPUs
April 2, 2007 9:41:22 PM

All those smart enthusiasts who bought AMD last few years are of course switching to C2d. Check again in a few years and the roles will be reversed.
Related resources
April 2, 2007 9:43:30 PM

hahahaha, now obviously there is a strong correlation but its not that intel processors cause this...... its just that more people use intel than AMD because intel advertises up the butt and AMD does not advertise all that much.... So you could ask an average everyday user who AMD is and they wouldnt be able to tell you..... but they would be able to tell you about intel because of the insane in your face advertising.
a b à CPUs
April 2, 2007 9:52:49 PM

Sad but true. Working retail, I can vouch for that article. Here's some classic Intel "knowledge" I heard from customers:

"Isn't the Celeron faster than an Athlon?"

"All I want in my system is a 3.6Ghz Pentium 4." "What are you planning on doing with the system?" "Checking my email, that's it!"

"Is it true Windows won't run on AMD chips?"

"Office XP won't run on AMD, so I don't wan it!"

"This Athlon you sold me is no faster online than my old Pentium 3!" "Sir, the problem is you're on dial-up, which is the factor on how fast you can go online." "Well, AOL told me it's because their software doesn't support AMD!"

For everyone who reads this article, DO KEEP IN MIND it was a survey done with the average computer user, such as Grandma Jones, not ubergeeky Joes such as ourselves.
April 2, 2007 9:56:01 PM

Quote:
hahahaha, now obviously there is a strong correlation but its not that intel processors cause this...... its just that more people use intel than AMD because intel advertises up the butt and AMD does not advertise all that much.... So you could ask an average everyday user who AMD is and they wouldnt be able to tell you..... but they would be able to tell you about intel because of the insane in your face advertising.

There has always been an underdog element in tech supported by intelligent but less than well adjusted people. Most AMD fanboys are nothing more than vents for their own lifes frustrations; and unite with a company who has historically been just as whiny.

Your location suggests that you are nothing more than a vent for your life's frustrations.
April 2, 2007 9:59:48 PM

I think we should make one thing clear; People who switch from AMD to Intel and vice versa seeking performance or value are the real intelligent users The ones who kept buying Netburst crap for twice as much as an A64; those are Intel ZOMBIES :lol: 
April 2, 2007 10:03:52 PM

Quote:
Sad but true. Working retail, I can vouch for that article. Here's some classic Intel "knowledge" I heard from customers:

"All I want in my system is a 3.6Ghz Pentium 4." "What are you planning on doing with the system?" "Checking my email, that's it!"

"This Athlon you sold me is no faster online than my old Pentium 3!" "Sir, the problem is you're on dial-up, which is the factor on how fast you can go online." "Well, AOL told me it's because their software doesn't support AMD!"

For everyone who reads this article, DO KEEP IN MIND it was a survey done with the average computer user, such as Grandma Jones, not ubergeeky Joes such as ourselves.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
Bloody true man; I had an Intel-oriented vendor telling me these things last week; I saw all dark and almost hit him before regaining control of myself and politely telling him that he was an idiot :D 
April 2, 2007 10:08:16 PM

Quote:
if they were zombies, would that make it legal for me to take a double barrel shotgun and go zombie hunting for the good of mankind?

Don't think, but of course, that would be nice for the good of AMD :lol: 
Everybody knows they're lagging behind now but in the old K8 days,... man, I just can not believe how much money they have lost from these people who wanted "a Pentium4", dead or alive, like a newborn reaching for his mother's tits, that was the onlt CPU neme they knew; blind instinct, blah :evil: 
April 2, 2007 10:19:00 PM

Well, this *fact filled* survey has one phD (at least he claims he is) defending it...Mr. Shakirou himself.

That alone should give it credibility.... LOL
April 2, 2007 10:28:21 PM

Quote:
Well, this *fact filled* survey has one phD (at least he claims he is) defending it...Mr. Shakirou himself.

That alone should give it credibility.... LOL

Is that who runs maxit??? I was going to apply for a blog job 8O :lol:  :lol:  OOPs what a bad pun. :p 

Nah, the pretender does not run maxit, but he's spouting about it in his blog.

He's running out of material to make up about Intel being evil incarnate.
April 2, 2007 10:39:00 PM

Quote:
So how does it feel bieng so stupid? :lol:  :lol:  :roll: (joking)

It is simply incredible that this crap gets out there,So much great info comes from Intel enthusiasts ,who wont blink an eye to own AMD if its better.

I think this article borders on slander. :roll:

Being stupid rocks! I can blame my stupidity for every mistake I make at work, with people, everything. LOL :lol: 

Ah, it doesn't border on slander, but without any links to the actual research done, it's just dumb.
a c 102 à CPUs
April 2, 2007 10:45:36 PM

I wonder what the study would have said for Linux, BSD, Mac, and Windows users?
April 2, 2007 10:50:36 PM

Well, at least intel users can't break pins off the CPU on a 775 package. :?

Gee.. wonder how smart I'd be using an AMD system in a holiday-inn? :lol: 
April 2, 2007 10:53:15 PM

There's a great percentage of home-built AMD machines than Intel machines. Corporate America is run by Intel.

So, while it may be true that AMD users have more computer smarts it's actually a good thing for Intel. AMD envies that Intel runs America, and not AMD.

PS - Don't post this flamebate crap.
April 2, 2007 10:53:42 PM

So far, this is the best topic for flaming, this year. 8)
April 2, 2007 10:54:49 PM

Sad that someone had time to write that :( 
April 2, 2007 10:55:29 PM

And if you believe this study, you are an idiot regardless of what processor you use. The article doesn't even list who did the survey.

But, if you do believe the "study" then let me qualify that I'm a drooling nincompoop with a blazing system that will crush the living daylights out of any AMD system you can build right now. Ignorance is bliss. :D 
April 2, 2007 11:21:45 PM

I never went to Univ yet have an IQ of 125 when tested two years ago.....for all the good it does becuase at my age I can't remember where I layed my eyeglass. :wink:
a b à CPUs
April 2, 2007 11:37:17 PM

Quote:
I wonder what the study would have said for Linux, BSD, Mac, and Windows users?

Now that's a flame war right there!

By the way, ZOldDude, LOL!
April 2, 2007 11:38:06 PM

Age doesn't matter, I scored higher on an IQ test when I was 8 than I do now.
April 2, 2007 11:43:24 PM

Researchers today have found that 78% of the world is covered in water and that the Earth is not flat.
April 2, 2007 11:43:46 PM

Drink more alcohol. Since studies have shown that brain cells do, in fact, regenerate (albeit slower as we age) it makes sense to kill all the old ones and make room for the new ones. :D 
April 2, 2007 11:44:53 PM

No shiznit? Well I'll be darned. I think that raised my IQ at least two points.
April 2, 2007 11:45:17 PM

Any website with "Keira Knightley Wins Wet Tshirt Contest" as a headline is surely reputable! :lol: 
April 2, 2007 11:46:44 PM

Quote:
Researchers today have found that 78% of the world is covered in water and that the Earth is not flat.

Burn the witch!
April 2, 2007 11:48:26 PM

lol - another example how dumb statistics are - what a worthless class. statics is not math its a religion or art

lask week they said internet users had a 66% attention span as compared to new paper readers with 50%

there reason the pseudo science exists is due to liberal arts majors getting grants and having to due something scientific to get the grant money flowing.

al gore: viking invented golbal warming - golbal warming fact: co2 rises 800 yrs after warming on average!

the electric car movie: gm crushed them since they were not safe - a cold snap your batteries die and you die no go!

decafe is good for you - not! coffee is good for - antioxidants

hydrogenated veggie oil - is poison - doctors for years no butter eat margarine

on and on -- these are no science people doing pseudoscience called statistics's which is basically adding as you learned in 2 grade!
April 2, 2007 11:48:54 PM

Quote:
Any website with "Keira Knightley Wins Wet Tshirt Contest" as a headline is surely reputable! :lol: 

I just wish they had pictures.
April 3, 2007 12:04:07 AM

Quote:
And if you believe this study, you are an idiot regardless of what processor you use. The article doesn't even list who did the survey.

But, if you do believe the "study" then let me qualify that I'm a drooling nincompoop with a blazing system that will crush the living daylights out of any AMD system you can build right now. Ignorance is bliss. :D 

e6700 @ stock > Any AMD rig you could possibly build? I think you're exagerating a bit :p 

Less foruming, more OCing!
April 3, 2007 12:05:39 AM

I know why Intel computer users know less about computers. They don't need to, Intel computers don't break. :lol: 
April 3, 2007 12:11:04 AM

Quote:
http://www.maxitmag.com/loose-wires/articles/intel-user...

:tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

this is the most idiotic editorial ever.
1. it doesn't list the source.
2. it jumps to conclusion too fast without exploring other possibilities.
3. it uses misleading title.

it is true that most AMD users are more computer savvy, but that doesn't mean they are so called "more intelligent" than Intel users. it just means Intel's processors are accepted more by the public.

don't believe me? take Jack and BM for example :p 
April 3, 2007 12:14:07 AM

Quote:
Expect flames :evil:  This type of information has no relevance and wasnt even quantified by links to an actual study. :roll:

Jumping jack has a phd your basic IQ for attaining one is 110 and above yet comfortably begins in the 120's.there are only 270 some odd million people at that level of intelligence .

I would wager that there are more phd's with intel pc's because they arent stupid. What you have here is the herd mentality study for dell owners and the like.

The information is not informative its biased.

Coach, this is so gay!
a b à CPUs
April 3, 2007 12:22:00 AM

Quote:

I would also like to add some:

"The Centrino processor has Wi-Fi, Athlons don't!" "erm... Centrino is a platform, not a processor!"

"What processor have you got?" "My computer is Intel... what is AMD?"

"I have a P4 at 3.2GHz with HyperThreading that cost me $3,000 when i bought it, and i got my daughter's Duron for $300, so Intel is faster than AMD!"

So, yes that research is probably true for the average Joe who knows nothing about computers and all he knows is just what he sees and hears on the market (ads). But i wouldn't say stupid or clever, i would change the title to: People more technologically inclined and people who are not or even to: People who know what they are talking about and people who don't, LOL
a b à CPUs
April 3, 2007 12:26:50 AM

... i also heard that CyriX users are working for NASA and CIA locked up in a basement under the Pentagon... apparently they were the smartest users of all!... (next door they keep the Voodoo users along with the Trident and Tseng predecessors)
April 3, 2007 12:27:23 AM

Guess who picked up on this one right away? Shakiranoob!
April 3, 2007 12:29:41 AM

Is that true 110 seem a bit low to me I got tested years ago and got 135 and I'm not really that smart
April 3, 2007 12:30:13 AM

What people reading this article fail to understand, that even thought the statistics of the survey are right! (Don't shoot me down until you read all of my post) It's only a mean average, based on all PC users.

One of my past jobs was a quality control Expert at Ford Australia. When working in statistics you just take numbers or results, draw up a chart, take the lowest abnormal numbers or results out and the highest abnormal numbers or results out (Most of the Readers of THG).
Then you are left with a mean average, which is always taken from the most common denominator.

If they took this survey from say THG then yes you should different result and if all things were equal the result should swing between AMD and INTEL based on what's best at the time.

I think the post was intended as good fun, If you felt insulted or upset you must think your self Average.

I personally though most people from THG were
"Smarter than the average type Bear"
"Heh BOO BOO"
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
April 3, 2007 12:37:41 AM

Quote:
What people reading this article fail to understand, that even thought the statistics of the survey are right! (Don't shoot me down until you read all of my post) It's only a mean average, based on all PC users.

One of my past jobs was a quality control Expert at Ford Australia. When working in statistics you just take numbers or results, draw up a chart, take the lowest abnormal numbers or results out and the highest abnormal numbers or results out (Most of the Readers of THG).
Then you are left with a mean average, which is always taken from the most common denominator.

If they took this survey from say THG then yes you should different result and if all thinks are equal the result should swing between AMD and INTEL based on what's best at the time.

I think the post was intended as good fun, If you felt insulted or upset you must think your self Average.

I personally though most people from THG were
"Smarter than the average type Bear"
"Heh BOO BOO"
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

Errr.. I think what the article really fails to imply, that intels marketing is better then AMD's. That is one reason why Intel has such a big piece of the market pie.
April 3, 2007 12:46:03 AM

[cough] BS [/cough]
April 3, 2007 12:47:05 AM

definately flame bait nonsense, i prefer amd but im on intel at the moment
April 3, 2007 12:51:48 AM

/me grunt

tirying ot ytpe corerctely dut useing am telIn
processsssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssor

sarry felt assleep.

/me snirk ;) 
April 3, 2007 12:55:31 AM

Its not just Marketing, it's also there size. AMD is only now becoming a large enough size to be competitive in the long term.

Why is it that USA, China and Russia are Classed as super powers? Is that there people are any smarter than any one else? No. Its because they have a large population and large amounts of resources, and lots of very big guns. 8O

I have no doubt that a large country or a large Company will always get noticed first..

Most people walk in the door and buy the flashiest and most well know brand they can see. The Average.

Smarter people, study, do research and such. Like you did for you build. Before C2D's AMD did have a better product but in most countries Intel still out sold them.
Again the Average person.

I would like to think the people on this site are NOT! average, as I personally find average people very boring. :( 

I actually like to read a bit of flaming, as long it doesn't get out of hand.

I've always had a gift of been able to see each side of an argument.
It makes life a lot more interesting than been a FANBOY or Average.
:lol:  :lol: 
April 3, 2007 12:55:36 AM

jez man get some sleep, im drinking so i expect ill be typing like that very soon
April 3, 2007 1:03:54 AM

Quote:
Its not just Marketing, it's also there size. AMD is only now becoming a large enough size to be competitive in the long term.

Why is it that USA, China and Russia are Classed as super powers? Is that there people are any smarter than any one else? No. Its because they have a large population and large amounts of resources, and lots of very big guns. 8O

I have no doubt that a large country or a large Company will always get noticed first..

Most people walk in the door and buy the flashiest and most well know brand they can see. The Average.

Smarter people, study, do research and such. Like you did for you build. Before C2D's AMD did have a better product but in most countries Intel still out sold them.
Again the Average person.

I would like to think the people on this site are NOT! average, as I personally find average people very boring. :( 

I actually like to read a bit of flaming, as long it doesn't get out of hand.

I've always had a gift of been able to see each side of an argument.
It makes life a lot more interesting than been a FANBOY or Average.
:lol:  :lol: 

:lol: 

no need to bring size into the matter, as well as different countries, and umm guns. Marketing would be a main factor. Without effective marketing, you wouldn't be able to sell your products, no matter how big the company is.

Even though AMD is expanding, still, you have IBM out there which is a big company, but yet Intel wins over Apple. You can add all those Apple users to the list of idiots I guess. :oops:  <--runs and hides from apples being thrown at him.
April 3, 2007 1:20:43 AM

Quote:
Guess who picked up on this one right away? Shakiranoob!

lolz...
i can't believe he stated that because of this survey, his conclusion of Intel's Engineers are less intelligent than AMD's is correct...

...and he made it sounds like he's the right one afterall...
a b à CPUs
April 3, 2007 1:28:05 AM

That's the thing a lot of people are failing to see as I pointed out in my first post. This study was most likely done on a broad range of PC owners, not 5,000 enthusiasts such as ourselves. The majority of these people probably don't do any research and buy what people tell them to buy, I have dealt with these people. I can tell them "buy this" and they do. They have no clue what they're buying, but as long as they hear it's running an Intel, they're happy. This is mostly due to Intel's massive marketing campaigns. I mean, has the average Joe ever seen an ad for AMD? No, but they have seen PLENTY of Intel ads. Again, this article covers 99% of computers users, you know, the type who think Ebay is a piece of software you can buy in stores, or think they need a $3,000 machine just to check their email. Not the majority of this forum's member who might spend countless hours researching parts before even buying a DVD-RW drive.

Overall, I find the article amusing. It's really about how effective marketing is on the average user, and how much they are willing to learn about the $2,000 machine they just bought.

One quick edit: I do agree the article should be titled "Intel Users Are Less Tech Savvy Than AMD Users"
April 3, 2007 1:36:43 AM

I feel I have to defend statistics, statistics are not dumb, just people who use them wrong (or just plain dishonestly).

BTW I have a VIA C3 CPU laptop does that mean I get double stupid points, also have 1 intel and 4 AMD systems

80% of people know you can get statistics which “prove” anything

You cant say since less computer literate users use intel that it implies intel users less computer literate . And a sample of 5,000, it does not say how many of each, where they are used, is it consistent between the two samples.

What does the CPU maker have to do with the ability of people to perform computing task, I don't understand, did the survey let the people pick there computer, if that is the case then its inherently bias to start with, chance are if you even know your computer is an AMD chip your not exactly a beginner

I wish someone paid me to do rubbish like this
April 3, 2007 1:48:15 AM

Yeh, but usually size means more resources and money and that is what leads to more marketing.
I know from personal experience. in 1995, I was building my first all new build, did the research and for my cost V performance I concluded that the best for my budget was ( Can't remember now, I think ether the Cyrix chip or the AMD. I think in was rated a P166) went to buy it and was talked into a P1 120 MHz CPU.
( OH no I bought an Intel chip, I'm sure it made me a bit dumber!) :lol: 

Nothing wrong with the choice but it forced me to go over budged, and I wasn't confident enough at the time to stick to my researched choice.

I offer my customers one of the best after market services around the area, but for pure sales we get out sold buy the "BIG" :lol:  companies. Size means better marketing "not" it just means more money and more marketing.
April 3, 2007 1:50:45 AM

I hope your not trying to defend what the OP statistic's are showing.

I mean, if things were reversed, with AMD having over 85+% of the market, those results should reflect the exact opposite.

Though, it would be nice to be paid for rubbish...

April 3, 2007 1:54:11 AM

ya... but in order to grow, which intel had done in the past, do you think they would have got as big as they are today without effective marketing?

I know that AMD is struggling to meet some demands at certain times, that was affected by the size of the company, but still, they never grew like intel did.
!