serious "My Computer" hang

CS986

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2005
Hey All -

I just recently moved back home from college and when I turned my computer back on the problems started. First, DEP decided it needed to kill Win32 services...over and over and over...so I killed DEP all together. Second (this was before I killed DEP) I continuously got an "svchost.exe - Application Error" as follows:

The instruction at "0x009996bc" referenced at "0x00000000". The memory could not be "written". Click OK to terminate the program. Click CANCEL to debug the program.

Clicking cancel does nothing, clicking OK brings up error reporting which is also worthless.

Some of the changes in setup include:

-- Linksys WRT54G is NOT connected
-- HP Photosmart 2610 is NOT connected via Linksys WRT54G
-- IP Address is now DHCP rather than static
-- Part of family network rather than campus network which leaves several network drives unable to connect.

The third as most annoying thing is that when trying to open "My Computer" either directly or in an open/save dialog the system hangs for 45-60 seconds during which it shows the search flashlight. Then everything seems to work fine again until the next time you attempt to open My Computer.

If anyone has any ideas at all, please post and let me know if there is a way to resolve these issues without reformatting.

Thank you for your help.

CS

sturm

Splendid
the computer still thinks its hooked up to the school network. My computer is looking for the network drives. Windows takes a long time to time-out looking for them. You need to delete the network drives from My Computer.

CS986

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2005
the computer still thinks its hooked up to the school network. My computer is looking for the network drives. Windows takes a long time to time-out looking for them. You need to delete the network drives from My Computer.

Does that also explain why VPN won't connect...it used to but it wont even open the program now.