Frequent Error on Bootup

Since MS XP Update couple months back I occasionally get the following error
msg: Generic Host Process for WIN32 Services Encountered and Needed to Close.

The error signature: szappname:svchost.exe szappver:0.0.0.0
szmodname:unknown szmodver:0.0.0.0 offset:00000000

Error Report Contents:
C:\docume~1\myfolder~1\locals~1\temp\werc1e8.dir00\svchost.exe.mdmp
C:\docume~1\myfolder~1\locals~1\temp\werc1e8.dir00\appcompat.txt

I haven't detected any operational problem. What can I do to remove this
nusiance?

Back up your registry
Try to open your registry. Do a search for the following entries
RPCsriver
bootmanager
services.exe

Delete them all
Restart your computer

"Roy S" wrote:

> Since MS XP Update couple months back I occasionally get the following error
> msg: Generic Host Process for WIN32 Services Encountered and Needed to Close.
>
> The error signature: szappname:svchost.exe szappver:0.0.0.0
> szmodname:unknown szmodver:0.0.0.0 offset:00000000
>
> Error Report Contents:
> C:\docume~1\myfolder~1\locals~1\temp\werc1e8.dir00\svchost.exe.mdmp
> C:\docume~1\myfolder~1\locals~1\temp\werc1e8.dir00\appcompat.txt
>
> I haven't detected any operational problem. What can I do to remove this
> nusiance?

Thanks Smiling face. I did find service.exe way down in chain and deleted it.
I found that XP does not have Backup Utility but apparently can achieve same
thing by doing a System Snapshot, which I did, and then Restore, if needed.
Am I correct in understanding that Restore only effects system and registry
type files but not application files? Anyway, I rebooted okay and will see if
my problem reoccures.