stom

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2005
Okay, i've installed Windows XP Service Pack 2 after debating over it for a long time, part of the reason was of all the problems i'd heard it throwing up. But anyway, for some odd reasons i went with Microsoft's recomendation and upgraded.

Whoops.

Now i have the "Stop: c0000135" and "winsrv was not found" message in a BSOD on startup. Now i've crawled the web for a solution and found that the recovery console works for many people, but sadly not for me.

I'm not offered a choice of Windows installations as expected, instead skipping straight to a command prompt of "A:" that won't allow me to selet any of the other drives on my machine (with the exception of f:, my cd drive). I'm using 3 sata drives, a 200GB WD for OS, and then a 200GB Maxtor and 400GB WD for docs.

So please... is there a way to uninstall this service pack without the recovery console? I've tried creating an xp boot disk with the intention of getting to command prompt and then launching the recovery console, but this doens't work either - i can't select any of my disks.

Any help is much appreciated, thanks

Stom

TechMaster

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2004
Stom,

The recovery console is an add on to windows XP. Therefore, if you did not install it, you do not have it.
You can try to restore your computer to an earlier time by using system restore. If this does not help, then insert your XP install CD and install the recovery consel.

Good Luck!

TechMaster

stom

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2005
Hi, thanks for the help, unfortunately...

I have the recovery console, and i can access it. The problem was it not locating my drive.

Also... the BSOD stops me from getting in to windows... so how would i use the system restore feature?

I may have solved this now by switching my drives into the other sata controller on my motherboard and seeing if the RC will discover that. If it works i plan on following microsofts help articles.

Fingers crossed this works...