YannisSpanopoulos

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
My sister had problems with her hard disk (running XP Pro) - it wouldn't boot, so I copied ALL the contents contents from her hard disk onto a folder on my hard disk (which I am running XP Pro on as well) and then formatted her disk.

However, we have lost her CD Key, and the only place it will be is in my computer where I have copied all her stuff. We obviously need it to reinstall her copy of XP on her computer.

I have tried the little crack programs online where they show you your cd key however these only end up displaying my CD key (because I boot from my copy) not hers.

Does anyone know where in her hard disk I can find her CD key?

Many thanks,

Yannis :)

TechMaster

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2004
Reinstall the OS on your sisters comp and call the fine folks in Redmond, WA and get a new key. Should be no problem.. Just make sure that you have a legitimate copy of windows. If not, then good luck finding a crack.

TechMaster.

wxt38

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
no need to do the hassle by calling customer support, they're worthless and you wouldn't get anything out of them nowadays. To solve your problem just get a program called sisoftware sandra and there's a free version which it display all the things you'll ever need plus of course the serial key for your curent version of window.

crazyhandpuppet

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
While Sandra may work, get a program called Magical Jellybean. Zero footprint, tiny file, no need to install, and is virtually instant in producing its result. You can get it free at www.magicaljellybean.com/ .