Pocket PC Versions?

June 29, 2005 9:03:01 PM

I am confused about the various version of the Pocket PC O/S.. I have a new
HP iPaq that has "Windows Mobile 2003" (or something like that), but the
"About" screen indicates it is Pocket PC Version 4.2.. I see references to
"Windows Mobile 5.0" on the Microsoft website.. is that the next version of
Pocket PC or a completely different O/S?

Thanks

Rich

More about : pocket versions

Anonymous
June 29, 2005 9:53:27 PM

what iPAQ do you have Pocket PC Version 4.2 referes to Windows Mobile 2003.

Windows Mobile 5.0 has not even been released yet.

"Richard Morey" <rwmorey71@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I am confused about the various version of the Pocket PC O/S.. I have a new
>HP iPaq that has "Windows Mobile 2003" (or something like that), but the
>"About" screen indicates it is Pocket PC Version 4.2.. I see references to
>"Windows Mobile 5.0" on the Microsoft website.. is that the next version of
>Pocket PC or a completely different O/S?
>
> Thanks
>
> Rich

Anonymous
June 30, 2005 2:03:12 AM

Hi --

I have the HP iPaq 6325 (the cell phone version for AT&T/Cingular with
camera)

Rich

"Steven Wabik" <Stevenw45@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:o 5j%239TPfFHA.352@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> what iPAQ do you have Pocket PC Version 4.2 referes to Windows Mobile
> 2003.
>
> Windows Mobile 5.0 has not even been released yet.
>
> "Richard Morey" <rwmorey71@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>I am confused about the various version of the Pocket PC O/S.. I have a
>>new HP iPaq that has "Windows Mobile 2003" (or something like that), but
>>the "About" screen indicates it is Pocket PC Version 4.2.. I see
>>references to "Windows Mobile 5.0" on the Microsoft website.. is that the
>>next version of Pocket PC or a completely different O/S?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Rich

June 30, 2005 11:04:14 AM

"Richard Morey" <rwmorey71@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I am confused about the various version of the Pocket PC O/S.. I have a new
>HP iPaq that has "Windows Mobile 2003" (or something like that), but the
>"About" screen indicates it is Pocket PC Version 4.2.. I see references to
>"Windows Mobile 5.0" on the Microsoft website.. is that the next version of
>Pocket PC or a completely different O/S?

Windows CE is the core of the Windows Mobile platform. WM2003 refers
to the overall device with a specific set of features. WM2005 is a new
release to device manufacturers, but none of the devices are one yet
or for sale. Expect to see those later this fall.
June 30, 2005 11:26:01 PM

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 17:03:01 -0400, "Richard Morey"
<rwmorey71@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I am confused about the various version of the Pocket PC O/S.. I have a new
>HP iPaq that has "Windows Mobile 2003" (or something like that), but the
>"About" screen indicates it is Pocket PC Version 4.2.. I see references to
>"Windows Mobile 5.0" on the Microsoft website.. is that the next version of
>Pocket PC or a completely different O/S?

You asked a very reasonable question. You are definitely not the first
to ask it. And I sure don't understand why the About box you found
doesn't provide the answer. Fortunately, several sites do provide
decent answers:
http://www.opennetcf.org/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=317
http://www.cewindows.net/wce/versions.htm

>Thanks