How do I change the CD drive letter?

Malcolm

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

I have a program that gets its data from a CD. It was agonizingly slow
so I copied the files to the HD and it's WAY, WAY faster. Problem: to
make the program look at the HD instead, I had to *unplug* the CD
drive from the motherboard and map the HD directory to D:.

There _must_ be a simple way to plug my CD drive back in and have it
come up as E: with my HD dir still being D:. But I don't know what
that simple way is. You used to be able to just reserve a particular
letter for the CD drive in Windows. If you still can, I don't know
how.

Can anyone tell me how? TIA.
--
Malcolm

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

Right click on My Computer, select Manage. On the following screen, click on
Disk Management.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

"Malcolm" <user@domain.invalid> wrote in message
>I have a program that gets its data from a CD. It was agonizingly slow
> so I copied the files to the HD and it's WAY, WAY faster. Problem: to
> make the program look at the HD instead, I had to *unplug* the CD
> drive from the motherboard and map the HD directory to D:.
>
> There _must_ be a simple way to plug my CD drive back in and have it
> come up as E: with my HD dir still being D:. But I don't know what
> that simple way is. You used to be able to just reserve a particular
> letter for the CD drive in Windows. If you still can, I don't know
> how.
>
> Can anyone tell me how? TIA.
> --
> Malcolm

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

You cant change the cdrom or cdrw from diskmgmt,you'll need to go
to run,type:regedit In regedit,expand:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE,software,
microsoft,windows,set-up,then open source path,then L.click on the drive,
go to edit,modify,select the letter you prefer,then close out regedit,restart
computer.

Andrew E. wrote:
> You cant change the cdrom or cdrw from diskmgmt,you'll need to go
> to run,type:regedit In regedit,expand:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE,software,
> microsoft,windows,set-up,then open source path,then L.click on the drive,
> go to edit,modify,select the letter you prefer,then close out regedit,restart
> computer.

Are you deliberately lying, or just proud of your ignorance? Of course
one can change the letter assigned to any logical drive or CD/DVD drive
from within the MMC.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

There are programs available that will allow you to put your CD's onto your
hard drive. I use Virtual CD it is an awesome program and saves tons of
time. You keep all the CD's in one folder and it will automatically insert
them as needed. Check it out here: http://www.virtualcd-online.com/
"Malcolm" <user@domain.invalid> wrote in message
> I have a program that gets its data from a CD. It was agonizingly slow
> so I copied the files to the HD and it's WAY, WAY faster. Problem: to
> make the program look at the HD instead, I had to *unplug* the CD
> drive from the motherboard and map the HD directory to D:.
>
> There _must_ be a simple way to plug my CD drive back in and have it
> come up as E: with my HD dir still being D:. But I don't know what
> that simple way is. You used to be able to just reserve a particular
> letter for the CD drive in Windows. If you still can, I don't know
> how.
>
> Can anyone tell me how? TIA.
> --
> Malcolm

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

Mark Barrett wrote:

> There are programs available that will allow you to put your CD's onto your
> hard drive. I use Virtual CD it is an awesome program and saves tons of
> time. You keep all the CD's in one folder and it will automatically insert
> them as needed. Check it out here: http://www.virtualcd-online.com/
> "Malcolm" <user@domain.invalid> wrote in message
>
>>I have a program that gets its data from a CD. It was agonizingly slow
>>so I copied the files to the HD and it's WAY, WAY faster. Problem: to
>>make the program look at the HD instead, I had to *unplug* the CD
>>drive from the motherboard and map the HD directory to D:.
>>
>>There _must_ be a simple way to plug my CD drive back in and have it
>>come up as E: with my HD dir still being D:. But I don't know what
>>that simple way is. You used to be able to just reserve a particular
>>letter for the CD drive in Windows. If you still can, I don't know
>>how.
>>
>>Can anyone tell me how? TIA.
>>--
>>Malcolm

Is it me or is this just a useless reply to the op??

XP's Disk Manager can re-letter any (but your OS's) partition.

If you are stuck on 'D:' for your CD ... get over it ... I boot XP on J:

John

Paul

Splendid
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

..com...
> You cant change the cdrom or cdrw from diskmgmt,you'll need to go

what!!! Of course you can!!! I did it yesterday...... You are
running Win XP are you.............???????

shawk

Cari (MS-MVP) wrote:
> Right click on My Computer, select Manage. On the following screen, click on
> Disk Management.

Thankyou very much for this. The problem that brought me here was
different (Briefcase thinks my sync copy is in G:\ but it was actually
on H:\) but it worked perfectly and I can now sync again.

--
It's a bit of a jump isn't it? I mean, er, chartered accountancy to lion
taming in one go.