Trick UV Lighting Disables Computer

babaghan

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
I installed a couple of UV tubes in the computer chassis, turned the system on to see if the lighting was OK, and shut it down to make minor adjustments. After the 4th startup, and after velcroing the tubes and ugly inverter in place, the system won't get to BIOS now, not even a system beep. I double checked all the cables are tight to make sure I didn't loosen anything and it still wouldn't boot up. I disconnected the UV tubes from it's power source, but still no BIOS. The motherboard, fans, and hard drives power up, but the system doesn't even get to BIOS. What did I do wrong :?:

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
those little transformers, very high voltage, burn up:

1) alway check the temp with your hand if they are cool your cool - if its hot it may burn up. if it starts to small like burnt platic get a new one asap.

2) some burn up the pcb and melt the entire assembly and could casue a short.

about 1 out of 10 does that - i use them all the time to build gaming rigs -- you need to pull the power from the transformer

i have has many completly melt but never cause any problems once they are disconnected. i have had systems die until the transformer is completely disconeected its a short.

babaghan

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
Evidently, I must have pressed against the video card :( It was somewhat tilted and may have been slightly out of it's slot. I made sure the video card was inserted properly and now the system boots up normally. Does anyone know where I can find a little guy with really small hands to work on my computer? There just isn't enough room to get in there. Regarding the info on the crappy transformers, I won't forget that. Thanks for responding, DragonSprayer!