Scrolling Bars on new HDTV Monitor

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
October 20, 2004 6:25:01 AM

I recently purchased a Sony 51" Rear-Projection HDTV Monitor
(KDP-51WS655) about 15 days ago. Since then, I've noticed more and more
often scrolling bars going across the screen. Some light, some dark.
They seem to alternate between dark and light.

Nothing I do seems to resolve the problem. Sometimes it goes away by
itself, sometimes it doesn't go away at all. I've tried changing the
input, turning the tv off and back on, nothing seems to make it better.
I'm guessing this might be something with the receiver, but the bars
even run over the 4:3 boxes on the left and right. What i'm wondering
is if this is normal for rear-projection TV's or should I contact the
store I bought it from for repairs / exchange?

My setup is as follows:

Cable, DVD, (soon-to-be) PVR, Xbox, PS2 all run into a Sony STR-DE895
receiver. Cable and DVD run using Component cables. Xbox and PVR use
SVideo and my PS2 runs using Composite. I have a component and svideo
cable running from the receiver to the TV.
October 20, 2004 7:09:27 AM

Having had a rear projection TV and jst about everything but an LCD, except
the 21" hooked up to my computer, I would say what you have is a defect, and
to return the set and get it replaced ASAP if it does with DVD, XBOX, and
all your other inputs.
"Richard" <spam@dont.email.me> wrote in message
>I recently purchased a Sony 51" Rear-Projection HDTV Monitor (KDP-51WS655)
>about 15 days ago. Since then, I've noticed more and more often scrolling
>bars going across the screen. Some light, some dark. They seem to
>alternate between dark and light.
>
> Nothing I do seems to resolve the problem. Sometimes it goes away by
> itself, sometimes it doesn't go away at all. I've tried changing the
> input, turning the tv off and back on, nothing seems to make it better.
> I'm guessing this might be something with the receiver, but the bars even
> run over the 4:3 boxes on the left and right. What i'm wondering is if
> this is normal for rear-projection TV's or should I contact the store I
> bought it from for repairs / exchange?
>
> My setup is as follows:
>
> Cable, DVD, (soon-to-be) PVR, Xbox, PS2 all run into a Sony STR-DE895
> receiver. Cable and DVD run using Component cables. Xbox and PVR use
> SVideo and my PS2 runs using Composite. I have a component and svideo
> cable running from the receiver to the TV.
October 20, 2004 7:18:29 AM

Richard,

> I've noticed more and more often scrolling bars going
> across the screen. Some light, some dark. They seem
> to alternate between dark and light.

I noticed something that sounds similar with my projector. It took a while
to figure out but the light finally came on (so to speak...). Turns out
that it was being caused by some of the light dimmers in the house. I now
have it that All My Cicuits that light dimmers are attached to are on the
opposite 'leg' of the 220 coming into the house from any equipment that's
bothered by the dimmers.

The short version of all that is - try watching tv in the dark and see how
it goes!

pt
a b C Monitor
October 20, 2004 8:23:19 AM

Talk about defects. My first HDTV wouldn't even turn on, exchanged it and the second one had some fine diagonal white lines on the screen when it was on, exchanged it yet again and this third one works fine.

It was embarrassing exchanging all these HDTV's, they probably thought I was doing something wrong.

"None" <nowhere@none.net> wrote in message news:HFkdd.312116$bp1.152152@twister.nyroc.rr.com...
> Having had a rear projection TV and jst about everything but an LCD, except
> the 21" hooked up to my computer, I would say what you have is a defect, and
> to return the set and get it replaced ASAP if it does with DVD, XBOX, and
> all your other inputs.
> "Richard" <spam@dont.email.me> wrote in message
>>I recently purchased a Sony 51" Rear-Projection HDTV Monitor (KDP-51WS655)
>>about 15 days ago. Since then, I've noticed more and more often scrolling
>>bars going across the screen. Some light, some dark. They seem to
>>alternate between dark and light.
>>
>> Nothing I do seems to resolve the problem. Sometimes it goes away by
>> itself, sometimes it doesn't go away at all. I've tried changing the
>> input, turning the tv off and back on, nothing seems to make it better.
>> I'm guessing this might be something with the receiver, but the bars even
>> run over the 4:3 boxes on the left and right. What i'm wondering is if
>> this is normal for rear-projection TV's or should I contact the store I
>> bought it from for repairs / exchange?
>>
>> My setup is as follows:
>>
>> Cable, DVD, (soon-to-be) PVR, Xbox, PS2 all run into a Sony STR-DE895
>> receiver. Cable and DVD run using Component cables. Xbox and PVR use
>> SVideo and my PS2 runs using Composite. I have a component and svideo
>> cable running from the receiver to the TV.

Anonymous
a b C Monitor
October 20, 2004 9:48:36 AM

"Richard" <spam@dont.email.me> wrote in message
> I recently purchased a Sony 51" Rear-Projection HDTV Monitor
> (KDP-51WS655) about 15 days ago. Since then, I've noticed more and more
> often scrolling bars going across the screen. Some light, some dark.
> They seem to alternate between dark and light.
>
> Nothing I do seems to resolve the problem. Sometimes it goes away by
> itself, sometimes it doesn't go away at all. I've tried changing the
> input, turning the tv off and back on, nothing seems to make it better.
> I'm guessing this might be something with the receiver, but the bars
> even run over the 4:3 boxes on the left and right. What i'm wondering
> is if this is normal for rear-projection TV's or should I contact the
> store I bought it from for repairs / exchange?
>
> My setup is as follows:
>
> Cable, DVD, (soon-to-be) PVR, Xbox, PS2 all run into a Sony STR-DE895
> receiver. Cable and DVD run using Component cables. Xbox and PVR use
> SVideo and my PS2 runs using Composite. I have a component and svideo
> cable running from the receiver to the TV.

Is the problem present on all sources? How many bars? Are they horizontal
bars moving vertically or vertical bars moving horizontally? Do you see
them in the menus or with POP engaged? Are they present in 480i, 1080i and
480p sources? Is your cable grounded properly? Is everything on the same
circuit? Any lights of fans on dimmers in operation?

There are lots of possibilities other than a defective set. If you
disconnect everything from the set and it is still present in a blank screen
or the menus, then you likely have a defect in the set.

Leonard
October 20, 2004 11:00:42 AM

"Richard" <spam@dont.email.me> wrote in message

> My setup is as follows:
>
> Cable, DVD, (soon-to-be) PVR, Xbox, PS2 all run into a Sony STR-DE895
> receiver. Cable and DVD run using Component cables. Xbox and PVR use
> SVideo and my PS2 runs using Composite. I have a component and svideo
> cable running from the receiver to the TV.

A traditional solution has been to put an isolator (RF, not DC) on the cable
feed into the cable box. This seems less a problem these days as cable
boxes have improved. A simple and cheap way to make an isolator is to get
two 75 to 300 Ohm impedance matchers and connect the 300 Ohm sides together.
Then connect the pair in series with the cable feed. Make sure that one
impedance matcher has a male coax connector and the other a female to avoid
frustration. Not the cables, yours.

Good luck, this sort of problem is usually a bugger to isolate..

Dave
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
October 20, 2004 11:00:43 AM

"harrison" <harrisonWOWfamily1@rcn.com> wrote in message

> "Richard" <spam@dont.email.me> wrote in message
> >
> > My setup is as follows:
> >
> > Cable, DVD, (soon-to-be) PVR, Xbox, PS2 all run into a Sony STR-DE895
> > receiver. Cable and DVD run using Component cables. Xbox and PVR use
> > SVideo and my PS2 runs using Composite. I have a component and svideo
> > cable running from the receiver to the TV.
>
> A traditional solution has been to put an isolator (RF, not DC) on the
cable
> feed into the cable box. This seems less a problem these days as cable
> boxes have improved. A simple and cheap way to make an isolator is to get
> two 75 to 300 Ohm impedance matchers and connect the 300 Ohm sides
together.
> Then connect the pair in series with the cable feed. Make sure that one
> impedance matcher has a male coax connector and the other a female to
avoid
> frustration. Not the cables, yours.
>
> Good luck, this sort of problem is usually a bugger to isolate..
>
> Dave

When this kind of isolation works, the cable box is likely defective or the
cable ground is defective. Either should be corrected. Isolation is both a
solution and a good diagnostic tool. When the problem can be eliminated at
the source, isolation is not a necessary solution. Sometimes, due to
equipment design or system design it is unavoidable, but usually (in
consumer applications) isolation is simply a patch on a ground loop problem
that can be solved with better system design or ground integrity.

Also, verify that back to back matching devices really isolate the grounds.
Some combinations do not.

Leonard
October 21, 2004 4:24:39 AM

pt wrote:
> Richard,
>

>>I've noticed more and more often scrolling bars going
>>across the screen. Some light, some dark. They seem
>>to alternate between dark and light.
>

> I noticed something that sounds similar with my projector. It took a while
> to figure out but the light finally came on (so to speak...). Turns out
> that it was being caused by some of the light dimmers in the house. I now
> have it that All My Cicuits that light dimmers are attached to are on the
> opposite 'leg' of the 220 coming into the house from any equipment that's
> bothered by the dimmers.
>
> The short version of all that is - try watching tv in the dark and see how
> it goes!
>
> pt

I think it might have something to do with my lights. I have to do some
more extensive testing, but I'm watching the ALCS right now with no
lights on and the picture couldn't be nicer.
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
October 21, 2004 2:37:02 PM

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 02:25:01 GMT, Richard <spam@dont.email.me> wrote:

>I recently purchased a Sony 51" Rear-Projection HDTV Monitor
>(KDP-51WS655) about 15 days ago. Since then, I've noticed more and more
>often scrolling bars going across the screen. Some light, some dark.
>They seem to alternate between dark and light.

Are you talking about a couple of 1 to 2" horizontal bars slowly
scrolling vertically? If yes.. we call them hum bars.. They are an
artifact of two much current traveling down the shield of your coax
lines.. (about .5amps for RG-6)..

>Nothing I do seems to resolve the problem. Sometimes it goes away by
>itself, sometimes it doesn't go away at all. I've tried changing the

Does the problem peak just after dinner time? I.E. 5pm to 9pm?

>input, turning the tv off and back on, nothing seems to make it better.
> I'm guessing this might be something with the receiver, but the bars
>even run over the 4:3 boxes on the left and right. What i'm wondering
>is if this is normal for rear-projection TV's or should I contact the
>store I bought it from for repairs / exchange?

Hi-def receivers/monitors have a greater tendency to display these
type artifacts.

>My setup is as follows:
>
>Cable, DVD, (soon-to-be) PVR, Xbox, PS2 all run into a Sony STR-DE895
>receiver. Cable and DVD run using Component cables. Xbox and PVR use
>SVideo and my PS2 runs using Composite. I have a component and svideo
>cable running from the receiver to the TV.

Does the problem go away, when you disconnect your cable tv Coax
from all components? Or are the bars just visible on CATV signals?

A couple of other questions.

1. Do you have an external antenna or sat dish connected in any
way?
2. Do any of the devices in your A/V system have 3 prong plugs?
(This includes any surge protectors).

3. Do questions 1 or 2 apply to any other receivers in your
house?
October 23, 2004 5:38:25 AM

Tim Keating wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 02:25:01 GMT, Richard <spam@dont.email.me> wrote:
>

>>I recently purchased a Sony 51" Rear-Projection HDTV Monitor
>>(KDP-51WS655) about 15 days ago. Since then, I've noticed more and more
>>often scrolling bars going across the screen. Some light, some dark.
>>They seem to alternate between dark and light.
>

> Are you talking about a couple of 1 to 2" horizontal bars slowly
> scrolling vertically? If yes.. we call them hum bars.. They are an
> artifact of two much current traveling down the shield of your coax
> lines.. (about .5amps for RG-6)..
>

>>Nothing I do seems to resolve the problem. Sometimes it goes away by
>>itself, sometimes it doesn't go away at all. I've tried changing the
>

> Does the problem peak just after dinner time? I.E. 5pm to 9pm?
>

>>input, turning the tv off and back on, nothing seems to make it better.
>> I'm guessing this might be something with the receiver, but the bars
>>even run over the 4:3 boxes on the left and right. What i'm wondering
>>is if this is normal for rear-projection TV's or should I contact the
>>store I bought it from for repairs / exchange?
>

> Hi-def receivers/monitors have a greater tendency to display these
> type artifacts.
>

>>My setup is as follows:
>>
>>Cable, DVD, (soon-to-be) PVR, Xbox, PS2 all run into a Sony STR-DE895
>>receiver. Cable and DVD run using Component cables. Xbox and PVR use
>>SVideo and my PS2 runs using Composite. I have a component and svideo
>>cable running from the receiver to the TV.
>

> Does the problem go away, when you disconnect your cable tv Coax
> from all components? Or are the bars just visible on CATV signals?
>
> A couple of other questions.
>
> 1. Do you have an external antenna or sat dish connected in any
> way?
> 2. Do any of the devices in your A/V system have 3 prong plugs?
> (This includes any surge protectors).
>
> 3. Do questions 1 or 2 apply to any other receivers in your
> house?

Its not just the tv input that causes the problem. It seems to be
happening on all the other inputs as well. I was thinking perhaps it
was a cable issue and maybe I should upgrade my cables.

However, to answer your questions

1.) No, I do not have any external antennas. Everything coming into my
apartment is done through cable.

2.) My PVR and Receiver both have three-prong plugs. All the others I
believe do not.

3.) I only have one receiver.
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
October 23, 2004 12:25:03 PM

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 01:38:25 GMT, Richard <spam@dont.email.me> wrote:

>Tim Keating wrote:
>> On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 02:25:01 GMT, Richard <spam@dont.email.me> wrote:
>>

>>>I recently purchased a Sony 51" Rear-Projection HDTV Monitor
>>>(KDP-51WS655) about 15 days ago. Since then, I've noticed more and more
>>>often scrolling bars going across the screen. Some light, some dark.
>>>They seem to alternate between dark and light.
>>

>> Are you talking about a couple of 1 to 2" horizontal bars slowly
>> scrolling vertically? If yes.. we call them hum bars.. They are an
>> artifact of two much current traveling down the shield of your coax
>> lines.. (about .5amps for RG-6)..
>>

>>>Nothing I do seems to resolve the problem. Sometimes it goes away by
>>>itself, sometimes it doesn't go away at all. I've tried changing the
>>

>> Does the problem peak just after dinner time? I.E. 5pm to 9pm?
>>

>>>input, turning the tv off and back on, nothing seems to make it better.
>>> I'm guessing this might be something with the receiver, but the bars
>>>even run over the 4:3 boxes on the left and right. What i'm wondering
>>>is if this is normal for rear-projection TV's or should I contact the
>>>store I bought it from for repairs / exchange?
>>

>> Hi-def receivers/monitors have a greater tendency to display these
>> type artifacts.
>>

>>>My setup is as follows:
>>>
>>>Cable, DVD, (soon-to-be) PVR, Xbox, PS2 all run into a Sony STR-DE895
>>>receiver. Cable and DVD run using Component cables. Xbox and PVR use
>>>SVideo and my PS2 runs using Composite. I have a component and svideo
>>>cable running from the receiver to the TV.
>>

>> Does the problem go away, when you disconnect your cable tv Coax
>> from all components? Or are the bars just visible on CATV signals?
>>
>> A couple of other questions.
>>
>> 1. Do you have an external antenna or sat dish connected in any
>> way?
>> 2. Do any of the devices in your A/V system have 3 prong plugs?
>> (This includes any surge protectors).
>>
>> 3. Do questions 1 or 2 apply to any other receivers in your
>> house?
>
>Its not just the tv input that causes the problem. It seems to be
>happening on all the other inputs as well. I was thinking perhaps it
>was a cable issue and maybe I should upgrade my cables.
>
>However, to answer your questions
>
>1.) No, I do not have any external antennas. Everything coming into my
>apartment is done through cable.
>
>2.) My PVR and Receiver both have three-prong plugs. All the others I
>believe do not.
>
>3.) I only have one receiver.

If you disconnect the "CATV CABLE TV" and the interference goes away
then its a ground loop problem that a "Ground Loop Isolator" will
cure.
http://www.avsupplystore.com/jenvrd1ff.html
October 26, 2004 7:26:04 AM

JimK wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 01:38:25 GMT, Richard <spam@dont.email.me> wrote:
>

>>Tim Keating wrote:

>>> Are you talking about a couple of 1 to 2" horizontal bars slowly
>>>scrolling vertically? If yes.. we call them hum bars.. They are an
>>>artifact of two much current traveling down the shield of your coax
>>>lines.. (about .5amps for RG-6)..

>>>Does the problem peak just after dinner time? I.E. 5pm to 9pm?

>>> Hi-def receivers/monitors have a greater tendency to display these
>>>type artifacts.

>>> Does the problem go away, when you disconnect your cable tv Coax
>>>from all components? Or are the bars just visible on CATV signals?
>>>
>>> A couple of other questions.
>>>
>>> 1. Do you have an external antenna or sat dish connected in any
>>>way?
>>> 2. Do any of the devices in your A/V system have 3 prong plugs?
>>> (This includes any surge protectors).
>>>
>>> 3. Do questions 1 or 2 apply to any other receivers in your
>>>house?
>>
>>Its not just the tv input that causes the problem. It seems to be
>>happening on all the other inputs as well. I was thinking perhaps it
>>was a cable issue and maybe I should upgrade my cables.
>>
>>However, to answer your questions
>>
>>1.) No, I do not have any external antennas. Everything coming into my
>>apartment is done through cable.
>>
>>2.) My PVR and Receiver both have three-prong plugs. All the others I
>>believe do not.
>>
>>3.) I only have one receiver.
>

> If you disconnect the "CATV CABLE TV" and the interference goes away
> then its a ground loop problem that a "Ground Loop Isolator" will
> cure.
> http://www.avsupplystore.com/jenvrd1ff.html

I just tried that. Watching a DVD on my DVD Player, I disconnected the
cable from the wall... the interference is still there but barely.

Are you sure its a ground loop problem? everything I've read about
ground loop problems has to do with a humming noise, but video interference.
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
October 26, 2004 7:32:36 AM

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 03:26:04 GMT, Richard <spam@dont.email.me> wrote:

>JimK wrote:

^^^^^^^^^^^ does this match your problem? ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>>>Its not just the tv input that causes the problem. It seems to be
>>>happening on all the other inputs as well. I was thinking perhaps it
>>>was a cable issue and maybe I should upgrade my cables.
>>>
>>>However, to answer your questions
>>>
>>>1.) No, I do not have any external antennas. Everything coming into my
>>>apartment is done through cable.
>>>
>>>2.) My PVR and Receiver both have three-prong plugs. All the others I
>>>believe do not.
>>>
>>>3.) I only have one receiver.
>>

>> If you disconnect the "CATV CABLE TV" and the interference goes away
>> then its a ground loop problem that a "Ground Loop Isolator" will
>> cure.
>> http://www.avsupplystore.com/jenvrd1ff.html
>
>I just tried that. Watching a DVD on my DVD Player, I disconnected the
>cable from the wall... the interference is still there but barely.

Are all your AV components plugged into the same wall outlet?
If not, then get a power strip and re-do the experiment.

>Are you sure its a ground loop problem? everything I've read about
>ground loop problems has to do with a humming noise, but video interference.

Did your symptoms match the problem described in my previous post?
(see above) If the answer is yes... then you have a ground loop
problem..
!