Raptor & Grommet: The Cage

babaghan

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
Is anyone familiar with Silenx's rubber grommets that make HDDs and optical drives reduce vibration? If they work or not is irrelevant at this point, I just can't get the darn things in! My HDD is housed in a metal cage and it's metal touching metal. There is no way I can see to cram even a human hair between the HDD and it's housing, let alone a rubber grommet. Maybe they are just designed for a different setup than mine.

babaghan

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
I posted the same question on another forum and they do go between the HDD and the cage/drive bay, just not in my chassis or any that I know of. I'm going to return these for store credit. They're useless to me. RE: the silicon rubber blocks - I've seen similar devices elsewhere. I think I'll try these or something similar. Thanks, mpilchfamily!

dagonoth

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
I tried that with some of my harddrives once, it was the biggest pain in the world to get them in. It required a lot of work, force, and a little bending of the harddrive cages(not a lot though). But I finally got them in. They didn't seem to do much actually, probably because I don't have raptors. The worst part was trying to get them out again when I needed to move my harddrives to fit a larger video card. It took more work to get them out then in, all the pressure over time had literally stuck the rubber to the harddrives and the cage. It was quite frustrating. I wouldn't recommend them.