Intel E6*50...why?????

slyck

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2007
Can anyone tell me just what is the purpose of these **50 chips? I'm seeing them referred to some places as 1333 fsb chips. Just what does the front side bus have to do with cpu speed?

CPU freq = bus speed * multiplier right?
So if these chips are being made for 1333 fsb bearlake boards(some current P965 boards already 1333 anyway) maybe these will be the same chips we are already buying.

Going from 1066 to 1333 would just mean lower multipliers are needed. Maybe these newer chips will just have lower multipliers? i.e. E6350 = E6300 but with a lower max multiplier to limit overclock.

Just sounds like something to hurt overclocking to me. Am I missing something here?

edit: 266 & 333 for real bus speeds b4 any multi (i think)

slyck

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2007
Yeah you're right!...

ok then...how bout 6420 when it arrives this month vs 6450??

i still dont see the point of these *50 chips, if comparing what i believe would be an identical 4MB cache chip in the *20 model...

any ideas?

T8RR8R

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
He means the **50's Grimmy, and they will be running at 333FSB(1333), plus they are supposed to be cheaper.

Since Grimmy didn't address the FSB issue, I will give it shot. Anytime you increase the front side bus, you are increasing the speed of communication between all of the components of the entire system. So anytime you increase the FSB you're actually making the entire system faster not just the CPU. You are some what correct by assuming the multiplier would have to be reduced, but it's not necessary. There is more to it all but, this is a start and it's basically all that really makes a difference for right now.

Here's a link of some interesting info about the **50's, I don't know if it's legit information but it's something to look at. http://www.cp65.com/

To answer your question of why...I dunno, maybe cuz they can.

T8RR8R

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
The extra memory on the chip isn't going to do that much for you really. BUT a higher FSB will, so in my opinion it might be smart to wait it out for the 1333FSB chips, or buy what you're gonna buy knowing there will always be something better down the road. I usually just get whatever a month or 2 after it comes out, just to see if it's good or bad, and to see if it's really worth it. Also a little waiting might save you alot of $$$

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
:oops: . o O (Well that is why I asked.)

The naming of the chips kinda suck, since you can get confused on a particular product.

I guess what I really thought the E*50 where the quads.

:lol: . o O (Guess not, my bad)

So hope you understand my misunderstanding... so I stand corrected.

At least we helped this guys on some answers. :D

slyck

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2007
nice to save case, maybe i will research a bit more then.. if i want to upgrade this fall then maybe id still grab a cheap e4300 or e4400 just OC the thing to death.(since I'm limping along with a 2.53 P4, with 512 MB RDRAM and AGP with ti4600). could grab another chip later this year when next round of price cuts comes along. good times coming for upgrading 8)

T8RR8R

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
Basically any C2D under $250 is a good buy, considering my e6400 is running faster than an e6700 that's twice the price. Plus my FSB being higher do to overclocking means that not only my CPU is faster but my entire system as well. Some people will say that OC'ing will cause things to ware out faster...yeah that's true, but by the time it does ware out you want it anymore anyway. For example my old 530J P4 was stock at 3.0Ghz but I overclocked that thing to 4.0Ghz, on air I might add, and that thing is still ticking away just fine 4 years later.(except too slow for todays standards). When buying a processor I really look for what ones have the higher FSB, and then balance the price/multiplier. No point in getting the cheapest thing when the one that's a little faster is only $20 more.