Looking to buy built systems-anyone know of a good company?

jamesrwright

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2007
I decided to go with a built core duo system instead of buying one from a big box retailer. I am just having trouble sorting down where I should buy it from-I want to buy online. I can't seem to find any local shops that can get the prices I can get online...anyone have any suggestions for a store that sells built systems online and is reasonable?

dagonoth

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Do you know anyone that builds them? Often times they are the best bet for getting a good price. All my friends just talk to me and I build them a good computer for a little over cost and they get free support from me.

Orion63

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
You can try mwave and newegg. You could also build a barebones system, buy a few other parts and put it together yourself. I think each offer complete boxes also.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
I decided to go with a built core duo system instead of buying one from a big box retailer. I am just having trouble sorting down where I should buy it from-I want to buy online. I can't seem to find any local shops that can get the prices I can get online...anyone have any suggestions for a store that sells built systems online and is reasonable?

I like abs.com They have good prices and great customization. I know sometimes I don't want to build.

gigman

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2007
ya, abs mwave and newegg are all good...... if you want a site thats easy to use/navigate go with newegg....... but if you want slighty better prices and a competly un-user friendly site go with mwave

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
What about you buy all the parts including the case,cpu,videocard,hard drive,motherboard,case,dvd rw drive, and any accesories you want and then go to a trustful computer store (those you find in the streets) and give them the part and let them build it for you?

Its probably gonna cost $30-40 for them to build it for you.

I did it once, and got a really nice result. Very very nice, the case was clean every cable was tight and you could see there was a good airflow. Would do it again but I have enough knowledge now :)

mundungus

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2007
These Guys built my P4 System 3 years ago and did a great job for the price. The have tons of options and shipping was cheap. I installed the Memory, Windows and Second Hard Drive myself. I've since built my own C2D system but I didn't fell confident enough at the time. Did I mention that their prices were sweet?

http://pcinfinity.net

You will have to choose most components al la carte, so research (like lurking around here) will help whomever you choose.

dung

nvalhalla

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
What about you buy all the parts including the case,cpu,videocard,hard drive,motherboard,case,dvd rw drive, and any accesories you want and then go to a trustful computer store (those you find in the streets) and give them the part and let them build it for you?

I did it once, and got a really nice result. Very very nice, the case was clean every cable was tight and you could see there was a good airflow. Would do it again but I have enough knowledge now :)

$30-$40?! The computer shop in my town charges a $50 bench fee to LOOK at a PC...

Newf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
I agree with Baron, ABS Computers.

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006

$30-$40?! The computer shop in my town charges a $50 bench fee to LOOK at a PC...

It is usually $30 to $40 depending on how many stuff you gonna put in there, you know like extra dvd rom drives and cables makes it go to $40.

I had some neons and extra fans that I wanted to put so they said $5 extra so I had the job done for $45 and didnt regret it.

sailer

Splendid
I bought a computer from Cyberpower a year and a half ago. It was a good price and its worked ok. Some people have objected to them, but many objections I've seen were little things, like a wire falling off something during shipping. Their warrenty service was good the one time I had to send it back. They didn't even object to the fact that I had changed the video card and added a hard drive. They just got it working good and its run well ever since.

bfellow

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2006
I bought a computer from Cyberpower a year and a half ago. It was a good price and its worked ok. Some people have objected to them, but many objections I've seen were little things, like a wire falling off something during shipping. Their warrenty service was good the one time I had to send it back. They didn't even object to the fact that I had changed the video card and added a hard drive. They just got it working good and its run well ever since.

I also recently purchased a Cyberpower and got no problems with it. They are significantly less expensive than the rest.

bliq

Distinguished
why? why not build?
I buy power is one
directron builds pc's

Just build one and do the learning curve. or consider a mac. If you are going to shell out large you may as well do falcon or mac.

what is the prebuilt allure anyway?one way or another youll have to learn about a pc.

The allure is in warranties and support. Also sometimes better engineering, but that's not an issue in a whitebox build.

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
I dont understand the warranty argument. All parts come with individual warranties. As long as you can troubleshoot the problem you can get a replacment part under warranty. And support? Isnt that one of the main reasons this forum is around?

sailer

Splendid
dell ,,,,support,,,,,,support :?

Yeah I dont see it.

Because its on the other side of the world, in India, given by someone who doesn't quite understand English (well, American) and wonders why you can have a home computer while he's still saving up to buy a bicycle. I think I got far better support from Cyberpower, and I got to speak to someone in California.

bliq

Distinguished
Well, for someone as soophisticated as a lot of people here, then yes, dell support isn't always going to be helpful.

However, for a lot of people, it is.

And finally, if the reason the OP is buying prebuilt from dell for a business, business class support is a whole 'nuther animal from consumer support. They're actually very good. Because you pay a lot for it, more than consumer support.

The big three make no money of the consumer machines due to competition and the profit to headaches factor for selling to consumers is pretty low.

It's all about the servers man... That's where they apply their resources. It's only good business.

Valerarren

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
If you are looking at www.resellerratings.com

http://www.kc-computers.com/

http://www.pugetsystems.com/

both seem to score quite highly.