  • Home Theatre
Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
October 20, 2004 6:42:58 AM

Being new to HDTV, I have DTV and the picture is stunning for the HDTV
channels (all 6 of them). Problem is, a lot of the local channels that
advertise HDTV (Fox especially for Sports) are not available on HDTV in my
region.
Now I understand you can recieve the HDTV signal via air.
I went to Circuit City this week where I bought my Hughes HDTV DTV reciever,
and they tell me that I need to buy another receiver (~$300) to decode the
air broadcasts, and that a regular antenna will work as well. Is this all
true and the best way to go? Thanks.

More about : hdtv air broadcasts

Anonymous
October 20, 2004 6:42:59 AM

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 02:42:58 GMT, "None" <nowhere@none.net> wrote:

>Being new to HDTV, I have DTV and the picture is stunning for the HDTV
>channels (all 6 of them). Problem is, a lot of the local channels that
>advertise HDTV (Fox especially for Sports) are not available on HDTV in my
>region.
>Now I understand you can recieve the HDTV signal via air.
>I went to Circuit City this week where I bought my Hughes HDTV DTV reciever,
>and they tell me that I need to buy another receiver (~$300) to decode the
>air broadcasts, and that a regular antenna will work as well. Is this all
>true and the best way to go? Thanks.

I think you will find a place to hook your antenna into the back of
your Hughes.
Anonymous
October 20, 2004 6:43:00 AM

<the_professor@atbi.com> wrote in message
On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 02:42:58 GMT, "None" <nowhere@none.net> wrote:

>Being new to HDTV, I have DTV and the picture is stunning for the HDTV
>channels (all 6 of them). Problem is, a lot of the local channels that
>advertise HDTV (Fox especially for Sports) are not available on HDTV in
>my
>region.
>Now I understand you can recieve the HDTV signal via air.
>I went to Circuit City this week where I bought my Hughes HDTV DTV
>reciever,
>and they tell me that I need to buy another receiver (~$300) to decode
>the
>air broadcasts, and that a regular antenna will work as well. Is this
>all
>true and the best way to go? Thanks.

I think you will find a place to hook your antenna into the back of
your Hughes.

------
Depends on what type of DTV receiver you have. I know they mention local
HDTV channels with OTA antenna on their web site.

Bill
Related resources
October 20, 2004 8:07:11 AM

So my Hughes DTV receiver will decode the air signal with a regular antenna?
"Bill Sharpe" <billsharpe@nsadelphia.net> wrote in message

> <the_professor@atbi.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 02:42:58 GMT, "None" <nowhere@none.net> wrote:
>
>>Being new to HDTV, I have DTV and the picture is stunning for the HDTV
>>channels (all 6 of them). Problem is, a lot of the local channels that
>>advertise HDTV (Fox especially for Sports) are not available on HDTV in
>>my
>>region.
>>Now I understand you can recieve the HDTV signal via air.
>>I went to Circuit City this week where I bought my Hughes HDTV DTV
>>reciever,
>>and they tell me that I need to buy another receiver (~$300) to decode
>>the
>>air broadcasts, and that a regular antenna will work as well. Is this
>>all
>>true and the best way to go? Thanks.
>>

> I think you will find a place to hook your antenna into the back of
> your Hughes.
>
> ------
> Depends on what type of DTV receiver you have. I know they mention local
> HDTV channels with OTA antenna on their web site.
>
> Bill

Anonymous
October 20, 2004 8:45:43 AM

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 04:07:11 GMT, "None" <nowhere@none.net> wrote:

>So my Hughes DTV receiver will decode the air signal with a regular antenna?
>"Bill Sharpe" <billsharpe@nsadelphia.net> wrote in message
>>
>> <the_professor@atbi.com> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 02:42:58 GMT, "None" <nowhere@none.net> wrote:
>>
>>>Being new to HDTV, I have DTV and the picture is stunning for the HDTV
>>>channels (all 6 of them). Problem is, a lot of the local channels that
>>>advertise HDTV (Fox especially for Sports) are not available on HDTV in
>>>my
>>>region.
>>>Now I understand you can recieve the HDTV signal via air.
>>>I went to Circuit City this week where I bought my Hughes HDTV DTV
>>>reciever,
>>>and they tell me that I need to buy another receiver (~$300) to decode
>>>the
>>>air broadcasts, and that a regular antenna will work as well. Is this
>>>all
>>>true and the best way to go? Thanks.
>>>

>> I think you will find a place to hook your antenna into the back of
>> your Hughes.
>>
>> ------
>> Depends on what type of DTV receiver you have. I know they mention local
>> HDTV channels with OTA antenna on their web site.
>>
>> Bill

Bought the SamSung SIR-TS360 because it has inputs for OTA, Cable and
Satellite. Works just fine for OTA with rabbit ears. (San Francsico
Bay Area)
October 20, 2004 8:48:58 AM

Now when you said rabbit ears I got rabbit ears.
You mean I may be able to pick up HDTV broadcasts with rabbit ears?
Recommend a set that may work the best if true.
"Diver" <Diver@Home.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 04:07:11 GMT, "None" <nowhere@none.net> wrote:
>
>>So my Hughes DTV receiver will decode the air signal with a regular
>>antenna?
>>"Bill Sharpe" <billsharpe@nsadelphia.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> <the_professor@atbi.com> wrote in message

>>> I think you will find a place to hook your antenna into the back of
>>> your Hughes.
>>>
>>> ------
>>> Depends on what type of DTV receiver you have. I know they mention local
>>> HDTV channels with OTA antenna on their web site.
>>>
>>> Bill
>>>

> Bought the SamSung SIR-TS360 because it has inputs for OTA, Cable and
> Satellite. Works just fine for OTA with rabbit ears. (San Francsico
> Bay Area)
Anonymous
October 20, 2004 8:48:59 AM

None wrote:

> Now when you said rabbit ears I got rabbit ears.
> You mean I may be able to pick up HDTV broadcasts with rabbit ears?
> Recommend a set that may work the best if true.

The question is does your Hughes HDTV DTV receiver have an ATSC tuner
or not? ATSC = digital OTA tuner to pick up digital TV stations. If so,
then check www.antennaweb.org for a list of digital stations in your
area and connect an antenna. If not, then you will have to get a
stand-alone ATSC tuner which can be had for $200 or less if you shop
around.
October 20, 2004 9:01:05 AM

In article <Pvldd.17635$l07.4137@twister.nyroc.rr.com> "None" <nowhere@none.net> writes:
>So my Hughes DTV receiver will decode the air signal with a regular antenna?

Here is an ad for what is probably it: http://www.htmarket.com/huhdre.html

Yes, if you hook it up correctly. See the instruction manual for details.

Alan
October 20, 2004 4:29:17 PM

the_professor@atbi.com wrote:

>>Being new to HDTV, I have DTV and the picture is stunning for the HDTV
>>channels (all 6 of them). Problem is, a lot of the local channels that
>>advertise HDTV (Fox especially for Sports) are not available on HDTV in my
>>region.

>I think you will find a place to hook your antenna into the back of
>your Hughes.

I'm not sure what "not available in my region" means here. The standard way
that DTV does this *is* to install an antenna to pick up local HDTV channels,
and, as the prof notes, this antenna connects to the DTV box and the local
programming is integrated nicely into your DTV program guide. I don't think
DTV is carrying any local HDTV feeds up to the satellites.

If for some reason your DTV box doesn't support this, I'd lobby them for an
upgrade (tell them you are thinking of moving to Cable and they'll do
anything).

JGM
I'm JGM, and I approved this message.
October 20, 2004 8:43:14 PM

So what does the instruction manual that came with your reciever say?

"None" <nowhere@none.net> wrote in message
> Being new to HDTV, I have DTV and the picture is stunning for the HDTV
> channels (all 6 of them). Problem is, a lot of the local channels that
> advertise HDTV (Fox especially for Sports) are not available on HDTV in my
> region.
> Now I understand you can recieve the HDTV signal via air.
> I went to Circuit City this week where I bought my Hughes HDTV DTV
reciever,
> and they tell me that I need to buy another receiver (~$300) to decode the
> air broadcasts, and that a regular antenna will work as well. Is this all
> true and the best way to go? Thanks.

Anonymous
October 20, 2004 8:43:15 PM

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 04:48:58 GMT, "None" <nowhere@none.net> wrote:

>Now when you said rabbit ears I got rabbit ears.
>You mean I may be able to pick up HDTV broadcasts with rabbit ears?
>Recommend a set that may work the best if true.
>"Diver" <Diver@Home.com> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 04:07:11 GMT, "None" <nowhere@none.net> wrote:
>>
>>>So my Hughes DTV receiver will decode the air signal with a regular
>>>antenna?
>>>"Bill Sharpe" <billsharpe@nsadelphia.net> wrote in message

>> Bought the SamSung SIR-TS360 because it has inputs for OTA, Cable and
>> Satellite. Works just fine for OTA with rabbit ears. (San Francsico
>> Bay Area)

In my Market I get FOX, CBS, NBC, KGO and PBS HDTV all from a pair of
rabbit ears plugged into my SamSung SIR-TS360. The broadcasts on
these channels are digital but do not have to be high definition, but
they usually are. My monitor is a panosonic 32inch CT-32HC43. I had
Comcast but dumped them when their HD receiver didn't seem to include
OTA digital. Also have a Toshiba DVD/Tivo combination but it doesn't
record High Def so I use it very little. I've been looking for a
bigger monitor but can't find a better picture than mine. I saw a
36inch Sony but it wasn't showing a high def signal so I can't say if
it would be any better ($1700 at my local cheap electronics store, and
I don't think $1700 for an additional 4inches diagonal is worth it).

I've got a three CPU complex network with one platform running a $500
Graphics card but the card is built for gamming, not HDTV. I'd like
to connect the PC to the SamSung receiver and record/playback High Def
but I can't seem to find the right graphics capture card nor any SDK
(Sofware Developers Kit) to support one. My recommendation is that
you go to your local electronics stores and view their pictures. Make
sure that they are showing High Def signals and also make sure that
there's lots of motion in their broadcast. Watch out for pixelation
around the movement for the Plasma/Lcd models.

Lots of work to get the right mix but if you keep up the search your
in for a stunning picture.

IMHO
October 21, 2004 12:54:15 AM

Well I do have an OTA connector on the back of my receiver, just bought an
amplified indoor antenna for starters, and am going to see if it works.
"JGM" <jgmclean0@aol.com> wrote in message
> the_professor@atbi.com wrote:
>
>>>Being new to HDTV, I have DTV and the picture is stunning for the HDTV
>>>channels (all 6 of them). Problem is, a lot of the local channels that
>>>advertise HDTV (Fox especially for Sports) are not available on HDTV in
>>>my
>>>region.
>
>>I think you will find a place to hook your antenna into the back of
>>your Hughes.
>
> I'm not sure what "not available in my region" means here. The standard
> way
> that DTV does this *is* to install an antenna to pick up local HDTV
> channels,
> and, as the prof notes, this antenna connects to the DTV box and the local
> programming is integrated nicely into your DTV program guide. I don't
> think
> DTV is carrying any local HDTV feeds up to the satellites.
>
> If for some reason your DTV box doesn't support this, I'd lobby them for
> an
> upgrade (tell them you are thinking of moving to Cable and they'll do
> anything).
>
> JGM
> I'm JGM, and I approved this message.
October 21, 2004 1:41:15 AM

Well OK, thanks for your help everyone.
Using a small amplified indoor antenna, my receiver does pick up the digital
antenna signal. I get channel 21 here which is PBS. They have 21-1, 21-2
etc.
But I don't get any of the other digital channels.
Reason being is I looked up the info at antennaweb.org, only the PBS signal
is captured by a small multi direcitonal signal.
All of the other signals in the area require a medium to large
mulitdirection and FOX even needs amplification.
Now a guy at radio shack tells me that I can buy a $40 outdoor antenna and
put it in the attic, and shouldn't have any problem. True or false? Anyone
have a feel for that, or a recommended antenna to get?
> Well I do have an OTA connector on the back of my receiver, just bought an
> amplified indoor antenna for starters, and am going to see if it works.
> "JGM" <jgmclean0@aol.com> wrote in message

>>>I think you will find a place to hook your antenna into the back of
>>>your Hughes.
>>
>> I'm not sure what "not available in my region" means here. The standard
>> way
>> that DTV does this *is* to install an antenna to pick up local HDTV
>> channels,
>> and, as the prof notes, this antenna connects to the DTV box and the
>> local
>> programming is integrated nicely into your DTV program guide. I don't
>> think
>> DTV is carrying any local HDTV feeds up to the satellites.
>>
>> If for some reason your DTV box doesn't support this, I'd lobby them
>> for an
>> upgrade (tell them you are thinking of moving to Cable and they'll do
>> anything).
>>
>> JGM
>> I'm JGM, and I approved this message.

Anonymous
October 21, 2004 8:35:31 AM

> Its been my assumption that the picture breaking up is not the antenna
> but a poor signal. This happens more with FOX than any other
> broadcaster. Monday Night Football games on CBS are rock solid.

I agree. I have FOX in HD over cable and the signal has jitter and
other weird happenings all the time.

NBC, ABC, HDNet, INHD, TNT and PBS all are great. FOX and ESPN HD
have problems even over cable.
Anonymous
October 21, 2004 12:24:31 PM

"Jim McCartan" <cmccart1@nycap.rr.com> wrote in message
> > Its been my assumption that the picture breaking up is not the antenna
> > but a poor signal. This happens more with FOX than any other
> > broadcaster. Monday Night Football games on CBS are rock solid.
>
> I agree. I have FOX in HD over cable and the signal has jitter and
> other weird happenings all the time.
>
> NBC, ABC, HDNet, INHD, TNT and PBS all are great. FOX and ESPN HD
> have problems even over cable.

Could this problem perhaps occur because FOX is broadcasting twice as much
information (bandwidth) as the other networks. They don't limit to 720p.
With that bandwidth requirement they have no reserve for error correction.

INHD, PBS and HDnet are broadcasting higher bandwidth but are not LIVE.
They can be recorded and broadcast at a later time.
Anonymous
October 21, 2004 12:34:28 PM

I would not be afraid of a radio shack antenna. I took one down (big
$99 combo on my roof) and put up a $200 winegard top of the line combo
to get better UHF. It was NO better then the radio shack antenna. I then
got a winegard pre-amp and replaced the radio shack pre-amp. This did
help (maybe 25% more signal)on both UHF and VHF. I even got another DTV
channel that I could not lock onto before. Also see what others in your
area are using,
BTW I would stay away from terk as I have heard many bad things from
terk antenna owners.

None wrote:
> Well OK, thanks for your help everyone.
> Using a small amplified indoor antenna, my receiver does pick up the digital
> antenna signal. I get channel 21 here which is PBS. They have 21-1, 21-2
> etc.
> But I don't get any of the other digital channels.
> Reason being is I looked up the info at antennaweb.org, only the PBS signal
> is captured by a small multi direcitonal signal.
> All of the other signals in the area require a medium to large
> mulitdirection and FOX even needs amplification.
> Now a guy at radio shack tells me that I can buy a $40 outdoor antenna and
> put it in the attic, and shouldn't have any problem. True or false? Anyone
> have a feel for that, or a recommended antenna to get?
October 21, 2004 11:31:44 PM

"None" <nowhere@none.net> wrote in

> Being new to HDTV, I have DTV and the picture is stunning for the
> HDTV channels (all 6 of them). Problem is, a lot of the local
> channels that advertise HDTV (Fox especially for Sports) are not
> available on HDTV in my region.
> Now I understand you can recieve the HDTV signal via air.
> I went to Circuit City this week where I bought my Hughes HDTV DTV
> reciever, and they tell me that I need to buy another receiver
> (~$300) to decode the air broadcasts, and that a regular antenna
> will work as well. Is this all true and the best way to go? Thanks.

NO! You do NOT need another receiver. All Directv HD receivers that I
know of have OTA tuner. Just hook it up to an antenna.
Anonymous
October 22, 2004 11:33:59 AM

Diver@Home.com (Diver) wrote in message news:<41780a32.125480328@news.sf.sbcglobal.net>...
> On 21 Oct 2004 10:59:11 -0700, t_pascal@my-deja.com (T. Pascal) wrote:
> >In fact, CBS and NBC are both broadcast in HD with the HD package on
> >DirecTV. Look at channels 81, 82, 83, 84 corresponding to the SD
> >broadcasts on 381, 382, 383, 384. I watch NBC eastern channels early,
>
> Whenever I select DirectTv's CBS/NBC HD, I get a blank screen and a
> message to call DirectTv. I figured they wanted more money. Any
> ideas?

Just reach into your pocket book and finance the extra $10.99 per
month to watch it. Otherwise, don't. Once again, if you're a big fan
of free government services: try lining up for cheese; go stand in
line for free food stamps; and go wait for an eternity in a clinic for
free condoms.
Anonymous
October 22, 2004 8:25:12 PM

> Its been my assumption that the picture breaking up is not the antenna
> but a poor signal. This happens more with FOX than any other
> broadcaster. Monday Night Football games on CBS are rock solid.

Monday Night Football on CBS, when did they make the change from ABC?
Anonymous
October 23, 2004 12:05:11 AM

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 16:25:12 GMT, "kw5kw"
<qwerty.kw5kw@swbell.net.qwerty> wrote:

>> Its been my assumption that the picture breaking up is not the antenna
>> but a poor signal. This happens more with FOX than any other
>> broadcaster. Monday Night Football games on CBS are rock solid.
>>
>Monday Night Football on CBS, when did they make the change from ABC?

Its been my assumption that the picture breaking up is not the antenna
but a poor signal. This happens more with FOX than any other
broadcaster. Monday Night Football games AND CBS are rock solid.

shesh
Anonymous
October 25, 2004 7:29:19 PM

"Diver" <Diver@Home.com> wrote in message

> Whenever I select DirectTv's CBS/NBC HD, I get a blank screen and a
> message to call DirectTv. I figured they wanted more money. Any
> ideas?

Did you try calling them? It doesn't cost anything to ask.

Some cities have network Owned and Operated stations, and in general, they
will let you watch the HD feed from NY or LA. You may also be able to
receive them if you are unable to receive OTA signals due to your distance
from the transmitter. The latter may require a waiver from the local
station.

They only want more money for the HD channels like HDnet, Discovery HD, etc.

Brad Houser
!