Sign in with
Your question

Router or Hub

Last response: in Networking
February 7, 2007 2:28:19 AM

It has been about 6 years since I messed around with trying to share an internet connection with two computers. My girlfriend just bought my old computer off of me and wants to use my dsl connection so she can use the internet too. I don't know which one I should buy, a router or hub. It would just be two computers sharing the connection. I don't really want to have to do a lot to get it to work, just plug and play if possible. We both have windows XP though her's is still on SP1. The distance between computers will be about 14 ft. She wants to spend as little as possible on whichever one we need since she is getting her own place soon and will not need it after that. I am half considering telling her to just buy a long ass network cord ( we will need one anyway) and we will share the connection from my modem one at a time but I wanted to check here first for advice cause some hubs I am looking at are less than 20$ and the cheapest routers are around 30$.

More about : router hub

February 7, 2007 11:47:56 AM

What the the make and model number of your DSL modem?
February 7, 2007 9:48:40 PM

I most all cases you want a router. But some modem have routers builtin. So a switch will be all that is needed.

You do not want a HUB.
Related resources
February 9, 2007 5:18:47 AM

I have basically the same question. I have two computers (old system and new system) and I'd like to connect both computers to my DSL line so that I can be online with both computers at the same time. Is this possible?

When it comes to networking, I'm completely ignorant. Could someone offer help in kindergarten terms for my sake please? :D 
February 9, 2007 11:27:10 AM

yes you can just buy yourself a router now it comes in wireless also if you dont like the wires. :wink:
February 9, 2007 5:29:07 PM

Quote:
I have basically the same question. I have two computers (old system and new system) and I'd like to connect both computers to my DSL line so that I can be online with both computers at the same time. Is this possible?

When it comes to networking, I'm completely ignorant. Could someone offer help in kindergarten terms for my sake please? :D 
My response is the same as my response above. What is the make and model of your DSL modem? Many DSL modems have built-in DCHP servers, so a router is not necessary to connect multiple computers. All you need is a switch. Save you some bucks and makes your system simpler, and possibly faster.

As Blue said, hubs are obsolete (unless you are still using 10Base-T equipment... wait, that, too, is obsolete!) :wink:
February 12, 2007 11:23:38 PM

Good advice is being given so far... check to see if your DSL modem has a DHCP server. If it does, check to see if it also has at least 2 Ethernet ports too (these are called RJ45 connecters - these are a bit bigger than a standard modular telephone connector in the US).

If not (this is my bet), I strongly recommend that you buy a router. Many routers include four 10/100 ethernet ports so you won't need to buy a separate switch, just plug both computers into the router (since they are so close to each other).

Plug the DSL modem into the router, plug your computers into the router with Ethernet cables and configure the router as per its directions. Having a router is a good idea and provides a measure of protection against crap trying to infect your machine. I think it's a bad idea, to connect a computer directly up to the internet (that is, straight to the modem).
!