Windows XP Registry

What & where are the registry files in XP? in 98 they were System.dat &
User.dat located in Windows folder. I can get into registry by running
regedit but curious if a specific file is still used for working data and for
backup. would like some clarification on this subject.
6 answers Last reply
More about windows registry

    Hi,

    The registry works very different in WinXP, but you'll find the files
    (default, sam, security, software, and system) under
    C:\Windows\system32\config. There is also a backup set created and housed in
    C:\Windows\repair, which you can use to restore the previous registry from
    the Recovery Console.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    Roy S wrote:
    > What & where are the registry files in XP? in 98 they were System.dat &
    > User.dat located in Windows folder. I can get into registry by running
    > regedit but curious if a specific file is still used for working data and for
    > backup. would like some clarification on this subject.

    The registry can be found in %Windir%\System32\Config\. Unless you're
    an exceptionally advanced user (or like reinstalling the OS), leave
    these files alone.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    One NTUSER.DAT for each user on the machine, some templates and repair.
    C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator
    C:\Documents and Settings\Default User
    C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService
    C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService
    C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here\NTUSER.DAT
    C:\WINDOWS\repair
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\systemprofile

    All hives are stored in %systemroot%\SYSTEM32\CONFIG. Except
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER. That's stored in %homepath%.
    C:\Documents and Settings\Name Here.

    The major hives and their files are as follows:

    Hive File BackupFile
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE SOFTWARE SOFTWARE.LOG
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SECURITY SECURITY SECURITY.LOG
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM SYSTEM SYSTEM.LOG
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SAM SAM SAM.LOG
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER NTUSER.DAT ntuser.dat.LOG
    HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT DEFAULT DEFAULT.LOG

    Description of the Windows 2000 Registry
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit/en-us/regentry/AboutReg.asp

    Registry structure
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/library/ServerHelp/28e3337c-70ff-41e1-86ef-2581350712a9.mspx

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:73848242-7588-4656-BEFD-29FCA17AFE7B@microsoft.com,
    Roy S <RoyS@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > What & where are the registry files in XP? in 98 they were System.dat &
    > User.dat located in Windows folder. I can get into registry by running
    > regedit but curious if a specific file is still used for working data and
    > for backup. would like some clarification on this subject.

    Rick: What & where is the "Recovery Console?" Does the "Restore" feature do
    the same thing as far as restoring registry to earlier config?

    Roy S wrote:

    > What & where are the registry files in XP? in 98 they were System.dat &
    > User.dat located in Windows folder. I can get into registry by running
    > regedit but curious if a specific file is still used for working data and for
    > backup. would like some clarification on this subject.

    Key Files

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SAM - Sam, Sam.log, Sam.sav
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Security - Security, Security.log, Security.sav
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software - Software, Software.log, Software.sav
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System - System, System.alt, System.log, System.sav
    HKEY_USERS\DEFAULT - Default, Default.log, Default.sav
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER - Ntuser.dat, Ntuser.dat.log
    HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG - System, System.alt, System.log, System.sav,
    Ntuser.dat, Ntuser.dat.log

    One should look for that files in "%windir%\system32\config\" and
    %userprofile%.

    --
    Regards
    Arkadiusz 'Black Fox' Artyszuk

    Roy S wrote:
    > Rick: What & where is the "Recovery Console?" Does the "Restore" feature do
    > the same thing as far as restoring registry to earlier config?

    Description of the Windows XP Recovery Console (Q314058)
    http://support.microsoft.com/directory/article.asp?ID=kb;en-us;Q314058

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you: