Should I buy Vista for my new computer or use Windows 7 Beta?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xydin

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
Hi,

I am building a new system and I was wondering if I should buy Windows Vista x64, or go with Windows 7 Beta's and RC's until Windows 7's release.

If needed my system specs are:

Phenom II 940
OCZ Reaper 4gb 1066MHz
GIGABYTE GA-MA790GP-UD4H (790GX chipset)
WD Caviar Black 1TB
Samsung x22 DVD Burner w/ Lightscribe
Sapphire Radeon HD 4870 1GB
OCZ 550w Fatal1ty PSU

Thanks in advance for any help :)

tommylikewingy

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2007
I highly recommend using Windows 7. I've installed a few different builds, and only had one problem (networking problems in build 7057 which has since been fixed). Download RC1 when it is released publicly on May 5th.

There are alot of things I like about Windows 7 that I have noticed on my system.

-Faster boot time
-Fast install time...only took about 20 minutes for a full install
-The new quick launch icons and jumplists
-Excellent driver support...it actually found drivers for all of my devices through windows update...when I installed Vista for the first time, I had to install alot of drivers on my own
-Improved system tray which allows you to see only what you want to see and not have 20 icons filling up your system tray

I haven't done any gaming with it yet, so I can't tell you how that is, but the latest Catalyst drivers support Windows 7.

xydin

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
Thank you very much for the information, on May 5th how would I download it, well rather where? And then do I just burn it to a DVD or install it some other way? Could you explain how to get it, or do you have a link to somewhere that explains it? Thanks. ^^

Just so you know... you'll have to reload that system when you purchase Win 7. There's usually no upgrade path from a RC to a RTM or final retail. Don't know if that would be a concern for you or not... but I thought it worth mentioning. Some people hate reloading their computers more often than absolutely necessary.

xydin

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
Thanks for the info Zoron, it doesn't bother me though ^^. I can back up all my data on flash drives, I just have music and pictures really, the other stuff generally isn't important, and for some reason I enjoy setting up my system ;x (but only if it's necessary)

kep55

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Unless I misread the Microsoft Win7 site, the Beta will expire on August 1, 2009.

mi1ez

Splendid

Windows 7 is great for gaming! Just so you know...

xydin

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009

Haha, I was wondering about that too, but I just figured that I wouldn't burden the community with more questions and would just find out myself xD

sirgrotius

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2006

I was wondering that. So can I assume NVIDIA's graphics cards are supported by Windows 7 (the latest ones ...e.g., 275, 285)?

Status
Not open for further replies.