VPN Tunnels

Ododzilla

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2003
*I have 3 computers,A,B,and C at 3 different location. All of them has broadband internet access.

*I have a 'VPN connection' created in Computer A to connect Computer B's IP
AND
a 'incoming connection' created in Computer B to accept the VPN connection from Computer A.

*I then again have a 'VPN connection' created in Computer B to connect Computer C's IP
AND
a 'incoming connection' created in Computer C to accept the VPN connection from Computer B.

*Basically I have a VPN tunnel between A and B, and another tunnel between B and C.

With Above configuration. would computer A be able to access the files and printer in Computer C or C to A in a way of Small home network without creating a direct tunnel between Computer A and C???

TKS

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2003
Depends on what operating system you are running. If windoze, you can enable file and printer sharing on all of the secure comps and you'll be able to share between them. However, if you are running at least 1 linux machine, you can enable a samba fileserver and MOUNT all of the computers as network drives. This will eliminate the need for a VPN network. VPN networks are generally reserved for access from an outside source...for instance if you want to access the network from your work at your residence. Hence the VPN port is open from the outside and you're able to 'log in' and work. However, I recommend that you use samba if you have a linux server OR enable file and printer sharing with windoze (then map network drives) and then you'll be set.

----------
<b>It is always brave to say what everyone thinks. </b> <i>Georges Duhamel</i>

TKS