UPDATE!!! ATI R600, X2900XTX - I'M BREAKING MY NDA NOW!

Opterondo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
Just kidding I missed AF but I did spend an hour on metacrawler.com and found out some stuff.

Eats alot of power, much more than the 8800GTX.

Best benchie information I could find show it a whoopoping 200pts higher than an 8800GTX in 3DMARK2006. (Like 3% fyi)

AMDTI makes most of their money selling the gimped defecto chips in the lower models; this is the reason for the delays to accumulate gimped chips to sell along the flagship at launch. (Cause G80 was a powerful suprise also I guess)

And drumroll .. I predict from the information I have researched:

The press launch will be end of April 2007 (yea! detailed benchies)

With product availability at the end of May 2007 (yea! oh maybe not it's a Canadian lifelike 8800GTX replica)

I've been waiting for four months and don't see any reason to wait any longer. I am purchasing the superior solution, the heavyweight of modern graphics processing, the XFX 8800GTS320.

I'm sure AMDTI will have a similar model in 3 months for $200 more if you want to wait.

slashzapper

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
AWESOME 8O WOW ...i am not going to flame you i'll leave that for the experts :roll:

Just one suggestion great choice except get one from EVGA - awesome performance i have the superclocked version .

:D love it . Also best post for a flame war yet :lol:

Man the defences , to arms men :lol:

Opterondo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
I think AMD is fine and is charged with saving ATI from their shenanigans. Or else it'll be the ATI comedy troupe from Canada next year. Like the 3Dfx comedy troupe I own $1700 shares of or did I mean I still have the certificate. I definately smell a fish in 2008 if AMD don't regulate, YO!

Opterondo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
AWESOME 8O WOW ...i am not going to flame you i'll leave that for the experts :roll:

Just one suggestion great choice except get one from EVGA - awesome performance i have the superclocked version .

Great glad you likie; the result of 3600 seconds of grueling dialup research in Opera to bring you the scoop. Thats what it's all abooot

slashzapper

Distinguished
May 3, 2006

Great glad you likie; the result of 3600 seconds of grueling dialup research in Opera to bring you the scoop. Thats what it's all abooot

I salute you :lol: ... :trophy:

randomizer

Champion
Just make the text a little bigger for those of us with poor eyesight :roll:

Raise the drawbridge! Man the battlements!

flametriangle-3.gif

neocristi

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2006
Just kidding I missed AF but I did spend an hour on metacrawler.com and found out some stuff.

Eats alot of power, much more than the 8800GTX.

Best benchie information I could find show it a whoopoping 200pts higher than an 8800GTX in 3DMARK2006. (Like 3% fyi)

AMDTI makes most of their money selling the gimped defecto chips in the lower models; this is the reason for the delays to accumulate gimped chips to sell along the flagship at launch. (Cause G80 was a powerful suprise also I guess)

And drumroll .. I predict from the information I have researched:

The press launch will be end of April 2007 (yea! detailed benchies)

With product availability at the end of May 2007 (yea! oh maybe not it's a Canadian lifelike 8800GTX replica)

I've been waiting for four months and don't see any reason to wait any longer. I am purchasing the superior solution, the heavyweight of modern graphics processing, the XFX 8800GTS320.

I'm sure AMDTI will have a similar model in 3 months for $200 more if you want to wait.

let's all just wait and see what AMD will give us next, ok?

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
OK, it was supposed to launch last December.... Then it was January... Then it was March..... Last time I checked my calendar, its April 03, 2007.

Can anyone spell vapourware, boys and girls?

OK, I hear rumours that it is likely in May...

Pardon my sceptisism... But at this point I will not hold my breath.

And 240 watts?

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
Dragon head 2, (retail, 19.5 ", whatever that is in CM....) was listed in TT as needing 240. The Draonohead OEM was, I do believe, 280. But its all vapourware..... And vapour can't use too many watts, can it? (Leaving Howard and Rudd out of it, of course!)

Armanox

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2007
Well any 8800 GTS is good enough. All the overclocked versions have the same cooler like the stock 8800, so u can download nview and overclock by yourself.

Only difference is that u have the guarantee for the overcl. version with overcklock enabled. Everything else is same.

I recommend it to everyone, have recently bought one, definitly a very good card.

pauldh

Illustrious
I won't comment on the rest of your rant; not worth it. But to this I say, the heavyweight is the 8800GTX and don't confuse it with the 320MB 8800GTS. Check out my Oblivion outdoor benchmark results in which I found that the 8800GTS didn't offer all too much more performance than a X1950XT Turbo. Paired with an FX-55 and 2GB ram, here are the results of a stck speed 320MB GTS vs a stock clocked His X1950XT 256MB ice Q Turbo.

Oblivion Outdoor Foliage Run: 1680x1050 4xAA/16xAF (all in game settings maxed but no self shadows, no grass shadows, and shadow filtering low)

Fraps - MIN/MAX/AVE

8800GTS
Frames, Time (ms), Min, Max, Avg
5457, 205438, 14, 51, 26.563

X1950XT
Frames, Time (ms), Min, Max, Avg
4562, 205021, 9, 35, 22.251

oblivionbenchxi8.jpg

The 320MB GTS is a nice card for the money, but Hardly a heavyweight!!! And I'm guesiing withing the next 2-3 months it will be quite a few notches down the totem pole like a 7800GT after X1900's and GF7900's launched.

stemnin

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
Looks more like the gts320 is middleweight, the x1950xt lightweight, and the gtx.. super heavyweight that can only compete against...

ARM

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2004
Dragon head 2, (retail, 19.5 ", whatever that is in CM....) was listed in TT as needing 240. The Draonohead OEM was, I do believe, 280. But its all vapourware..... And vapour can't use too many watts, can it? (Leaving Howard and Rudd out of it, of course!)

Did you just pull 19.5" out of your ass? That musta hurt.

The retail is 9" and the OEM 11.5", or around that.

Did you honestly believe that anyone would release a 19" card?

Dr_asik

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
Pauldh, your results are very different from those of [H]enthusiast, but apparently that's because they are using an X6800, the fastest processor there is. So it seems greedy Oblivion is not satisfied with mere extra GPU power.

Reminds me of the 300W G80 card;

http://www.hardocp.com/news.html?news=MjE1NTksLCxobmV3cywsLDE=

At this rate if the G80 was 300W and the R600 is 270W does that mean that the R600 will be less power hungry than the G80? Wow, impressive! :twisted:

Perhaps waiting for the actual hardware to arrive before talking about power consumption would be a wise idea, especially since no one knows whick Belle ATi is finally going to bring to the launch party/ball.

As for who's seen the HSF assembley, it's been no secret for a while, even the retail model showed it's stripes... err... flames at CeBit.

So... OEM as big as the GF7GX2 and retail smaller than the GTX and about the same size as the GTS.

I don't know of anyone who'd worry about that in a retail product, heck they'd likely sell their case and rebuild if the performance was worth it to them.

xaat_kil

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
You'll need a bigger font so the OP can see it. Please dumb it down too-that post seems far too reasonable with not enough conjecture or FUD. Darn it, Ape, you've been around here long enough to realize you gotta post a whole buncha crap in big fonts to get attention, then have your message be about something completely unrelated to the heading of the thread, and make sure you have no facts to back it up. You're lettin' us all down, man.

No1sFanboy

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
I don't understand all the fuss re. the long OEM card. Having the fan mounted in front of the card drawing air cool intake air from the front of the case could be a better solution,(that is how the long card appeared in the pictures anyhow).

In reply to OP. If you have truly been waiting four months for r600 why give up now? Your timing could be terrible. I've had a g80 for close to four months and have/will have no regrets. Having said that I wouldn't buy one today if I had already waited for 4 months. I would just have to find out first what AMD's response is after all this time.

pauldh

Illustrious
Pauldh, your results are very different from those of [H]enthusiast, but apparently that's because they are using an X6800, the fastest processor there is. So it seems greedy Oblivion is not satisfied with mere extra GPU power.
Yeah, That was my very same initial reaction. Of course I am comparing apples to apples not their goofy lets turn off grass settings. Who with a freakin X1950XT would ever play Oblivion without grass. :roll: I basically chose my test settings because that is what I hoped to be able to play Oblivion at once I installled the GTS. And part of my expectation was based on their results. I was not surprised the X1950XT struggled at those settings as they were above what I had been playing at, but was very surprised that the 8800GTS wasn't spanking the X1950XT in the demanding later part of my run.

The other difference besides CPU is that they were using a super-clocked 8800GTS and a stock clocked X1950XT. I have the opposite with the X1950XT Turbo and a reference clocked 8800GTS. But I would not think that is not going to make up for the huge difference in our results. I mean take a couple fps from my XT and add 3-5 for the GTS. Granted, my benchmark might be more demanding than theirs, but with settings pretty close to theirs, I am getting alot lower fps out of the GTS. Could be they don't test the most demading spots, or could very well be because their cpu totally pawns mine.

Looking at how the core 2 duo was able to stretch a lead over the FX-62 even with just a lousy (in Oblivion) 7900GTX in this review of theirs, it show Oblivion, or at least their benchmark of Oblivion (wherever that may be in the game), is quite CPU/system limited. And Obviously the 8800GTS has a ton more Oblivion power than the 7900GTX, so that could be the difference.

EDIT: I should add another possibility; I am running some Oblivion high res texture mods which while looking better might be too much for the 320MB and 256MB of VRAM at this resolution. I ran the same mods at 12x10 with the X1950XT but with slightly lower in game settings, but at 16x10 and higher details, maybe I need more VRAM than either card has. But that again would back up my reason for posting my results, that the 320MB GTS is not the heavyweight the OP makes it out to be.

TRENDING THREADS