raid sensors/temps and smart details ( like speedfan)

dt

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2004
well i have a p5b duluxe mobo and it is telling me that one of my drives is about to die and having a smart error. I would like to see whats actually wrong with the drive because a "smart error" doesn't tell me much expecially since i am using raid 5. I tried to use speedfan but it doesn't show raid arrays. anyone have an idea on what would show me all the info on what the error is and temperatures of the raid drives?

dt

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2004
Your manufacturer should have some diag. tools available. For instance, seagate's seatools.

the only tool intel gave me was a caution sign saying s.m.a.r.t is seeing something wrong with this.

I will try out seagate sea tools.

update: seatools does not see raid volumes.

belvdr

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Your manufacturer should have some diag. tools available. For instance, seagate's seatools.

the only tool intel gave me was a caution sign saying s.m.a.r.t is seeing something wrong with this.

You need to use a diagnostic utility for the array controller. Anything else will just see the logical volumes, as you found out. For temperature, that would also be a vendor utility for the enclosure.

A SMART error means the hard disk is reporting back to the controller that failure is eminent. If it were me, I'd get it replaced.

dt

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2004

You need to use a diagnostic utility for the array controller. Anything else will just see the logical volumes, as you found out. For temperature, that would also be a vendor utility for the enclosure.

A SMART error means the hard disk is reporting back to the controller that failure is eminent. If it were me, I'd get it replaced.

yeah, i know what the smart error means but i just want the information ( whats actually wrong with it )

Try Hitachi Drive Fitness Test:

http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/technolo/dft/dftnew.htm

i will try this out.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
WARNING:
If you have just one drive and it's making unusual ticking sounds or you get a SMART error on boot, turn off your computer and don't use it at all until you're ready to attempt making a copy of important files (i.e. family photos you have no copies of).

A couple of notes for those who might not know:

SMART errors are not always a SURE sign of hard disk failure. A hard disk can sometimes run for some time with a SMART error, but replacement is still VERY highly recommended. You can choose to turn SMART off in most BIOS's today, although it's not typically a good idea. Still; if you're broke, know about your bad HDD, are tired of the error warnings on boot, and don't any have important data saved on your computer that you mind losing...

Western Digital has Datalife tools as well. All the big HDD makers have a utility to look at hard drive S.M.A.R.T. status. Many SMART errors are warranted. The drive doesn't actually have to stop working completely in order to get a warranty replacement, but check the warranty to make sure your SMART error is covered by the warranty. Some manufacturers will send you a replacement disk with a hold on a cash amount in your bank account or on your credit card which they will refund if they recieve the bad drive from you within a given time. Just make sure you can live without the cash (and have it in your account if using a checkcard) during that time. WD surprised me a little on this and I got charged overdraft. :-(

BTW, this ought to be a STICKY. :p

dt

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2004
WARNING:
If you have just one drive and it's making unusual ticking sounds or you get a SMART error on boot, turn off your computer and don't use it at all until you're ready to attempt making a copy of important files (i.e. family photos you have no copies of).

I dont have any unusual ticking. when i place an os on my other hdd i will split the raid into ide and then check it with speedfan.

dt

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2004
That wasn't specifically for you...it was for anyone, as it said. Split your raid into IDE? What are you talking about?

well on the p5b duluxe you can split your raid in ide ( aka seperate drives but is called ide... but thats another subject ) then place my os on my other drive which is an ide drive ( an actual ide drive ) and check whats wrong with that specific drive .