halbhh

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
This great xbit labs article is useful for those who haven't already read extensively (and that's a lot of people here!), especially as there's a lot of nice info in this one article: nice charts and upcoming price/performance ratio.

This article is recommended if you aren't up to speed knowing exactly which AM2 X2 processors are of the same performance (I use within +/-5%) of which C2duo processors. Some don't realize the mid range C2duos have real competition! Some people already know this. But it's got very nice graphs too.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/dualcore-roundup_8.html

Finally, C2duos overclock much better, and current MBs will accept quad core upgrades, which is quite nice, since you have to pay for a new Windows license for a new MB now, so the cost of a new motherboard isn't so trivial, actually!

AM2 on the other hand has an even nicer upgrade path IMO, since you get the excitment of drop-in upgrade cpus coming of a new architecture expected to be rather nice. Combine this with a very nice entry price now for X2 4600 for instance.

Both upgrade paths for both chip makers have limits, so eventually most of us will buy new motherboards. It's just a question of when and how often, and that's a money question.

halbhh

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
There is now parity on the price/performance curve.... Kudo's to AMD for doing it.... how long they can sustain it is another question.

Well, to a large extent, they have to maintain it, mostly. Of course there will always be tricky questions as to what exactly is performance parity in server systems, for instance, but neither company can depart too far from the other in overall price/performance for more than a few weeks!

Did you read the "Fab & R&D Costs..." link? That was interesting to me, rather! Even TI surprising everyone with their plans. Perhaps this will put a different light on 45nm for AMD too.

monroe

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2004
In those charts ...Where is the (65W) 4600+ ???

I am planning to buy this for a computer (it sells for $150 CAD) since it is the priced lower than a 4000+ here in Canada....

Is there something wrong with the 4600+???

halbhh

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
In those charts ...Where is the (65W) 4600+ ???

I am planning to buy this for a computer (it sells for $150 CAD) since it is the priced lower than a 4000+ here in Canada....

Is there something wrong with the 4600+???

I'd love to have a 65W 4600!

Jeeze, I'm kinda envious already.....

I've tried not to think much about it, tried to be patient. After all, my x2 4200 is actually more chip than I can use yet (when I'm busy it averages 30% utilization)..... But that will change someday, and then I'll be shopping. Of course, I'll be going quad then.

AMD is being agressive on their price. But if you need to see something more, just read the user reviews of the chip you want at Newegg.com I like to see 4.5 or 5 stars on every component I buy, and sometimes you can get a nice tip, like about fan noise, overclocking detail, etc.

monroe

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2004
Thanks for the tips guys...BTW a nice board here with tons of info, and many people with good experience....keep up the good work!

halbhh

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
I have been saying this for a couple weeks ,its nice to see that someone has joined in on the observation. :wink:

I think our comments are ignored by some, who instead just repeat out of date information, but hey....what can you do?

8)

Periander

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2007
So basically come April 22 AMD is not going to have anything that can match a $224 Intel CPU. Is this supposed to be encouraging for AMD? It looks disastrous to me. What are AMD ASPs going to look like when the majority of their sales are single core and their dual cores are selling for these prices?

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
Like toms, they failed to include the E6300. They also failed to include both the X24200 and 4600, which, after the recent price drops, are currently very stong values.

Sadly, 939 owners are not enjoying anywhere near the same value as their AM2 bretheren.

Most interestingly, and something to PO the horde, was the hint in the conclusion that a possibility exists of pricing cooperation between Intel and AMD

We cannot accuse AMD and Intel of the absence of mutual coordination

r0ck

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2006
They included the E6320, priced simlarily but with 4MB instead of 2MB. 7 chips for Intel and 9 for AMD. More on either would've been overkill I'd say.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
They included the E6320, priced simlarily but with 4MB instead of 2MB. 7 chips for Intel and 9 for AMD. More on either would've been overkill I'd say.

The should have included both the extreme low ends of Intel and AMD as well as the top ends, with a linear (either price or perfromance) cross spread of midrange.

halbhh

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
Like toms, they failed to include the E6300. They also failed to include both the X24200 and 4600, which, after the recent price drops, are currently very stong values.

Sadly, 939 owners are not enjoying anywhere near the same value as their AM2 bretheren.

Most interestingly, and something to PO the horde, was the hint in the conclusion that a possibility exists of pricing cooperation between Intel and AMD

We cannot accuse AMD and Intel of the absence of mutual coordination

Yeah, some of the best values on both sides have often been missing, like the e6300 (pre-e4300) on THG for 2 months or more it seemed. Dead on that the x2 4600 is one of the best values. Odd omissions that reduce the quality of the data.