Closed

XP Pro Activation

I had a problem and lost my motherboard, CPU. My copy of XP had been
activated on this old board. I will be replacing and upgrading to A new
Motherboard, CPU, Power Supply, and Ram, etc. My Question, will I have a
problem when I go to Activate my copy of XP Pro?

Richard
6 answers Last reply
More about activation

    jackfrost wrote:
    > I had a problem and lost my motherboard, CPU. My copy of XP had been
    > activated on this old board. I will be replacing and upgrading to A new
    > Motherboard, CPU, Power Supply, and Ram, etc. My Question, will I have a
    > problem when I go to Activate my copy of XP Pro?
    >
    > Richard

    Normally, and assuming a retail license (many OEM installations are
    not transferable to a new motherboard - check yours before starting),
    unless the new motherboard is virtually identical (same chipset, same
    IDE controllers, same BIOS version, etc.) to the one on which the WinXP
    installation was originally performed, you'll need to perform a repair
    (a.k.a. in-place upgrade) installation, at the very least:

    The "why" is quite simple, really, and has nothing to do with
    licensing issues, per se; it's a purely technical matter, at this point.
    You've pulled the proverbial hardware rug out from under the OS. (If
    you don't like -- or get -- the rug analogy, think of it as picking up a
    Cape Cod style home and then setting it down onto a Ranch style
    foundation. It just isn't going to fit.) WinXP, like Win2K before it,
    is not nearly as "promiscuous" as Win9x when it comes to accepting any
    old hardware configuration you throw at it. On installation it
    "tailors" itself to the specific hardware found. This is one of the
    reasons that the entire WinNT/2K/XP OS family is so much more stable
    than the Win9x group.

    important data before starting.

    This will also probably require re-activation, unless you have a
    Volume Licensed version of WinXP Pro installed. If it's been more than
    120 days since you last activated that specific Product Key, you'll most
    likely be able to activate via the Internet without problem. If it's
    been less, you might have to make a 5 minute phone call.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    On Sat, 9 Apr 2005 10:49:02 -0700, jackfrost wrote:

    > I had a problem and lost my motherboard, CPU. My copy of XP had been
    > activated on this old board. I will be replacing and upgrading to A new
    > Motherboard, CPU, Power Supply, and Ram, etc. My Question, will I have a
    > problem when I go to Activate my copy of XP Pro?

    Most likely no. How long has it been since you last activated. If it has
    been more than four months then activation will likely occur automatically
    over the internet. If it does not activate automatically, choose to
    activate by phone instead. Your situation is not unique and is perfectly
    within your license. Activation over the phone will be fairly quick, and
    successful.
    --
    Tom Porterfield
    MS-MVP Windows

    jackfrost <jackfrost@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I had a problem and lost my motherboard, CPU. My copy of XP had been
    >activated on this old board. I will be replacing and upgrading to A new
    >Motherboard, CPU, Power Supply, and Ram, etc. My Question, will I have a
    >problem when I go to Activate my copy of XP Pro?
    >
    >Richard

    If it is a retail version then there is no problem with doing this.

    If it is a generic OEM version (CD has a Microsoft label with no
    computer company name) then there should be no problem.

    If it is a "BIOS locked" OEM version such as is used by most major
    manufacturers then there could be a problem. Microsoft has changed
    the activation rules for these versions and they will no longer
    activate over the Internet. Instead you have to do a telephone
    activation and the requirements are more stringent that normally used
    for telephone activations. Note that "BIOS locked" OEM versions are
    self activating so long as the motherboard BIOS is the correct version
    for that computer manufacturer.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm
  5. You can perhaps have a look at the following link because it helped me solve unforeseen problem with windows XP repair install: http://computersurgery.blogspot.com/2012/01/windows-xp-activation-not-working.html
  6. This topic has been closed by Area51reopened

CPUs Motherboards Windows XP