GUIDE to making a LAN

SpeedGeek

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2002
I can handle networks pretty well, but I now have a project infront of me that will require me to hook up more than 6 computers in an office.
My problem is i want to do a nice clean job, mount all the cables on the walls, make them lead to little white boxes so they could be plugged in like a REAL OFFICE NETWORK! :)

Do any of you guys know of a guide that explains how to do that easily?
What equipment I need? what it's called? where do I buy it?
how do I cut the cables? how do i attach them to the boxes?

All that!

Much Appreciated!

Darth_Indy

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2007
I am consistently impressed with the quality of answers in these forums. That is a great site.

I would add that you should go with Cat5e, this is for 1G Ethernet and it's very common to see 1G in desktops (Intel added 1G to their chipset starting with ICH8).

If you REALLY want to future proof I'd add a Cat6a (augmented Cat6) for 10G Ethernet (if you know where you want to put a file server). BUT, I don't expect to see much in the way of 10G copper until late this year or in 2008. Also, I don't think it will be economical (for me anyway) until 2009 or 2010 so it may not be worth the extra expense.

Good luck!

Buzzons

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2005
you will have to purchase some trunking (the white stuff that you screw into the walls that holds the cable)

http://www.bizrate.co.uk/electricalsupplies/products__keyword--trunking.html

and you will also need the correct RJ45 ports for the kind of cable you are using (solidcore/twisted pair) - go with solid core to be fair.

also, you will need the back and front plates for the RF45 ports to be held in.

oh and a drill and cable tester :)