ASUS P4B-LX BIOS x RAM MEMORY - PLEASE HELP

RobTrenton

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2007
I have a Sony PCV-RX560 with 512MB...
OK it's an old Pentium 4 1.7 GHz that comes with mobo ASUS P4B-LX rev. 1.04 chipset I845 bios Award Modular v6.0

I'm trying to figure out why the hell Sony states on this that ram memory is expandable to 512MB while ASUS website states that P4B-LX would accept up 2GB (1GB per slot).

Memory advisor scanner from Crucial for instance also states that I have a PCV-RX560 with maximum 512MB.

My question is what is the main factor that causes such discrepancy ? what could prevent this mobo P4B-LX to recognize up to 2GB as stated by Asus ?

This old PC works with PC133 memory type which is not that cheap So I can't make experiments.

Thanks in advance for any help ...

Roy C

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
I also have a Sony Vaio PCV-RX560 and here is my experience with it -

Without paying much attetion to stated memory limit, I pulled a 512MB PC133 stick out of another computer (custom build w/ a fried P4 CPU) and installed it into my PCV-RX560 just to see if it would POST. Well, not only did it see both the 512MB stick and the 256MB stick it came with, but I was able to get it up to 1GB (2x 512MB). As far as going to 2GB, I don't know if it would work, but if they were wrong about the 512MB limit who knows?

Also, this Machine has been running with the same 1.7ghz P4 (i845 chipset) from the time Sony first released this model... I wanted to try learning a bit about overclocking with this machine, but realized quickly that it can't be done with the out-of-box BIOS. Does anyone know of an "update" that would allow me to OC?