Need advice on Non SLI AM2 board

BigBuckinChicken

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2006
For those who lack time, but have a reccommendation, please skip the intro and get to my question below..**

Hi everyone, I dont post much, but I do try to read what I can. I know that this place is full of hard core builders that have been through the ringer, and their trials and tribulations are well documented, and if i could just take the time to search I would find what I need. Problem is time, I'm very scarce on time right now so please bear with me.

Im looking to build an Athlon x2 4600 machine, putting a decent 1950 (XT or pro? not sure). The only real motherboard I did any research at all on was the one non SLI mobo that I was aware of Asus M2N-E. I know im taking you back a year in technology, but Im too poor for core duo.

the M2N-E seems like a decent board, but appears to have memory voltage restrictions, either requiring running memory at less than optimal speeds, or buying some really expensive memory.

**so, without further delay, the question: What are some decent Non-SLI am2 motherboards. I can research the list myself, I just need model numbers please.

Thank you all for your assistance, and my deepest apologies if this same question has been asked 100000000000 times, I havent been able to read through stuff, but im trying to catch up when i can.

BigBuckinChicken

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2006
Price cuts are in effect...unless you are saying that Core Duo will be dropping as well...then I might hold off. It is these price cuts spurring me into action, as my last build was an Athlon 1900+ (when 2100+ was the top of the line...I think)...so its been a while. That old beast is still working for me, but it's definately on it's last legs. Fortunately I only play WoW, which doesnt require much horsepower :).

BigBuckinChicken

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2006
I dont want the overhead, or to pay for something I wont use. If you are saying that an SLI board is the way to go, then ok, but I like my systems lean ...the more excess stuff, the greater the possibility of stuff going wrong.

In any case please please please Model Numbers :) I dont want to argue the point of SLI verses non SLI, if theres a great SLI board with a decent pricetag, I'm willing to go that route.

Thanks again everyone. Thanatos, for some reason I associate that name with a bunny...any idea why?

BigBuckinChicken

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2006
Thanks everyone, especially Ajfink, as this is what I really needed. I could hold out longer and see where prices go, or I could get what I want at a price I can afford, and have it now :). Its tough.

InteliotInside

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
Are you sure that you can't afford a:
Core 2 Duo E4300
Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3
EVGA GeForce 7600GT

?

Huge overclocking headroom on the processor, one of the toughest motherboards out there and a step-up program on that EVGA card, when you have the money difference between the 7600GT and 8600GTS.

Torment30

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2006
For AMD how about a

ASROCK AM2 AliveXFire-ESATA2 Crossfire, current SB but older 1600 (RD480) NB or maybe a

Biostar AM2 TForce 550 or Biostar AM2 TForce 570U

One thing about the biostars though, I bought one for my intel system and it had only 1 SATA cable!!! Rubbish, ASROCK has about 4

I have to say though an Intel E4300 seems the way to go at the moment

motanu_zapacit

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2006
well if you want ati graphics but you're not interested in a crosshair solution in the future you should go for a nforce 550 or 570 . i would recommend msi k9n series( something like a neo-f).i've built a lot of systems with these mobos and offer good performance
and stability for a medium am2 solution;never had problems with them.try avoiding sli boards if you're going for ati graphics and the platinum and diamond editions ( to expensive IMO ). also if you consider asus m2n-e is a good choice but watch out for m2n with nforce 430 or 500 ... had a lot of problems with them ( and that's about 4 out 10 nf430 boards :( ) in combination with 3200+ athlon64 . good luck

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130050

chief5286

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
Biostar Tforce 550 is a decent board by most accounts. Decent OC capability, though if I'm not mistaken, no printer port.

As for the 4300 being the best solution at the moment, I'm not sure I agree with that. Yea, there's great OC potential, with most people seeming to get to 2.8-3.0 Ghz (that's the average I'd say, it seems those with the 6600 are are the ones getting higher). However, you can build a solid AM2 system based on a 3600+ that will most likely OC to 2.6-2.8 Ghz for around $260 (including 2 gigs of ddr2 800 ram). Intel can't touch that price/performance at the moment. It would cost around $410 for the 4300, DS3 and 2 Gigs of ddr2 800 ram. The equation might change in a couple of weeks, but $150 is a lot to spend for the marginal increase in performance of an OCd 4300 vs a OCd 3600+.

Now, if you were considering an X2 4600+ against the 4300 and you intended to OC, it becomes a tougher question IMHO. Same if you don't intend to OC.

BigBuckinChicken

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2006
Thanks everyone for all of your input. Im really on the fence now as to what to do, I was never dead set on anything, it was just that the x2 4600 seemed to have a really nice price now. I really dont overclock. I'm no expert on the subject, and dont want to risk frying my stuff.

Personally I dislike Intel, but their chips do what I like to do better...especially with Video encoding. If the prices are dropping on them I might build an intel core duo system, and the 4300 Intel chip seems to perform around the same as the AMD 4600 chip I am looking at. I dont have particular brand loyalties, I was just really happy that I could build a dirt cheap system that kicked ass (when I built my Athlon 1900+ system) and cost me about as much as my last intel processor alone (which was a P2 450 when it was top of the line, $799 box kit ). For graphics cards, I like Nvidia, but my last card burning out left a bad taste in my mouth. I have a crappy ATI card (was a spare) that I run now, and have had no problems with it (other than its lack of features and having to keep detail settings rather low). I picked the ATI 1950 XT because it was one of the "best buy" cards listed in Tom's.

Again I just wanted to say thanks, I realize that I need to hold out a bit and see what is what before making any rash decisions...you all have given me some great tips and components to research, thank you all,and have a fantastic day!!