Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Let the Comcast box or the Sony do the converting?

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
Anonymous
October 20, 2004 7:47:44 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Hello all,

I have being delivered the 70" Sony XBR, and I am wondering whether
there is a rule of thumb as to the best way to handle the image
signal.

Specifically, the Comcast box (6200) has several options as to the
output format...480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i.

The TV itself obviously has to convert whatever comes in to its native
format, which is something greater than 720p, and less than 1080i.

Should I have the box do as little converting as possible, and let the
Sony handle all of the conversions? Does it matter? Is it simply a
matter of trying everything to see how it looks?

What's been your experience?

I'll be connecting with DVI cable if that matters...

Thanks in advance,


BDWood
October 21, 2004 1:05:03 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

>I have being delivered the 70" Sony XBR, and I am wondering whether
>there is a rule of thumb as to the best way to handle the image
>signal.
>
>Specifically, the Comcast box (6200) has several options as to the
>output format...480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i.
>
>The TV itself obviously has to convert whatever comes in to its native
>format, which is something greater than 720p, and less than 1080i.
>
>Should I have the box do as little converting as possible, and let the
>Sony handle all of the conversions? Does it matter? Is it simply a
>matter of trying everything to see how it looks?
--------------
You'll hear varying opinions on this. Try setting the box to pass the
native signal, see how it looks, then set the box to pass 1080i, and
see how it looks. Pick whichever you like better. Remember to view
different sources - true HD, 720p, and 480i.

There's no rule - it's a matter of what looks best to you.
Anonymous
October 21, 2004 9:16:49 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

I don't know about using DVI. But for regular analog SD programs, the
comcast box does poorly compared to the SONY antenna input port. I
use my comcast box ONLY for digital channels including some upper
channels and HD channels. I just split the coaxial cable, one enters
the comcast box for digital channels, one enters the TV via the analog
antenna port.

You need to compare them yourself. In my case, the SONY is better.

BDWood <woodb@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<u6gdn0poda2vchc9cub7stdiirrl2g5vjl@4ax.com>...
> Hello all,
>
> I have being delivered the 70" Sony XBR, and I am wondering whether
> there is a rule of thumb as to the best way to handle the image
> signal.
>
> Specifically, the Comcast box (6200) has several options as to the
> output format...480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i.
>
> The TV itself obviously has to convert whatever comes in to its native
> format, which is something greater than 720p, and less than 1080i.
>
> Should I have the box do as little converting as possible, and let the
> Sony handle all of the conversions? Does it matter? Is it simply a
> matter of trying everything to see how it looks?
>
> What's been your experience?
>
> I'll be connecting with DVI cable if that matters...
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
>
> BDWood
Related resources
October 22, 2004 2:45:09 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

When it came viewing the component and DVI output from DVI players set to
wide screen output, the web site's I viewed all reported that the Sony set
did a better job of conversion to its "native" format, without going though
the extra steps by having the DVD player convert it into progressive scan
first.

Richard.
Anonymous
October 22, 2004 9:55:17 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"Richard" <rfeirste at nycap.rr.com> wrote in message
news:10ni77mjpo8s62c@corp.supernews.com...
>
> When it came viewing the component and DVI output from DVI players set to
> wide screen output, the web site's I viewed all reported that the Sony set
> did a better job of conversion to its "native" format, without going
though
> the extra steps by having the DVD player convert it into progressive scan
> first.

That's interesting. So, I should try setting my DVD player to feed "16:9
and 480i", rather than 16:9 and 480p" and let Sony handle the conversion to
its native resolution of 788p? Hmm. Have to try that.

mack
austin
Anonymous
October 22, 2004 10:10:21 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

The comcast box has an option for 4x3 content, I set 480i as the output.


"Mack McKinnon" <MckinnonRemoveThis@tvadmanDeleteThisAsWell.com> wrote in message news:<9Qbed.37900$rY1.2782@fe2.texas.rr.com>...
> "Richard" <rfeirste at nycap.rr.com> wrote in message
> news:10ni77mjpo8s62c@corp.supernews.com...
> >
> > When it came viewing the component and DVI output from DVI players set to
> > wide screen output, the web site's I viewed all reported that the Sony set
> > did a better job of conversion to its "native" format, without going
> though
> > the extra steps by having the DVD player convert it into progressive scan
> > first.
>
> That's interesting. So, I should try setting my DVD player to feed "16:9
> and 480i", rather than 16:9 and 480p" and let Sony handle the conversion to
> its native resolution of 788p? Hmm. Have to try that.
>
> mack
> austin
!