Installng SP2 - how do I log in as Administrator ?

I am preparing to install SP2 on XP Home.
I have read on one of the MVP websites that prior to installing SP2 one
should log on as "Administrator".
Now this may be a silly question, but how do I log on as "Administrator"?
I am the only user on this computer. When I log on I get one choice,
which appears to be "Owner". I know that "Owner" is not the same as
"Administrator" because there are separate folders for each in
"Documents & Settings".

How do I log on as "Administrator"?
--
Remove the "Delany" to reply.
6 answers Last reply

    To log on as Administartor in XP Home you will have to start in Safe Mode.
    Seeing as how you want to install SP2 I'm not sure if starting in Safe Mode
    is the best way to do it. When you log on as Owner or yourself - is one of
    them also listed as administartor?

    Babel17delany wrote:
    > I am preparing to install SP2 on XP Home.
    > I have read on one of the MVP websites that prior to installing SP2 one
    > should log on as "Administrator".
    > Now this may be a silly question, but how do I log on as "Administrator"?
    > I am the only user on this computer. When I log on I get one choice,
    > which appears to be "Owner". I know that "Owner" is not the same as
    > "Administrator" because there are separate folders for each in
    > "Documents & Settings".
    >
    > How do I log on as "Administrator"?

    By design, the only way to log into the Administrator account of WinXP
    Home is to reboot into Safe Mode.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    No, I imagine that I would not want to install SP2 in Safe Mode. I
    guess that the advice on the website applies only to XP Pro, although it
    did not say so.

    When I log on as Owner, it is not listed as administrator.

    I guess my next question is: is there any reason why one should log in
    as administrator, as opposed to owner, when installing SP2?

    --
    Remove the "Delany" to reply.

    Go to Control Panel -> User Account. Next to the icon for the
    Owner account does it say Computer Administrator? If so then you
    can go ahead and install SP2. If not, start the computer in Safe
    Mode, log on with the Administrator account and change the Owner
    account from Limited to Computer Administrator. You can always
    change it back when you're done with the update.

    Here are a couple of web sites you might want to check out before
    installing SP2:

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/sp2_whattoknow.mspx

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=windowsxpsp2

    Nepatsfan
    "Babel17delany" <Babel17delany@optonline.net> wrote in message
    >I am preparing to install SP2 on XP Home.
    > I have read on one of the MVP websites that prior to installing
    > SP2 one should log on as "Administrator".
    > Now this may be a silly question, but how do I log on as
    > "Administrator"?
    > I am the only user on this computer. When I log on I get one
    > choice, which appears to be "Owner". I know that "Owner" is
    > not the same as "Administrator" because there are separate
    > folders for each in "Documents & Settings".
    >
    > How do I log on as "Administrator"?
    > --
    > Remove the "Delany" to reply.

    Yes. The "Owner" icon says: Owner
    Computer Administrator
    Password Protected

    The second icon says: Guest
    Guest account is off

    Thanks!

    I'll also check the websites you included.

    --
    Remove the "Delany" to reply.

    If you're the only user and the "owner" you already should be starting the
    PC and it starts windows with full admin rights.
    "Babel17delany" <Babel17delany@optonline.net> wrote in message
    >I am preparing to install SP2 on XP Home.
    > I have read on one of the MVP websites that prior to installing SP2 one
    > should log on as "Administrator".
    > Now this may be a silly question, but how do I log on as "Administrator"?
    > I am the only user on this computer. When I log on I get one choice,
    > which appears to be "Owner". I know that "Owner" is not the same as
    > "Administrator" because there are separate folders for each in "Documents
    > & Settings".
    >
    > How do I log on as "Administrator"?
    > --
    > Remove the "Delany" to reply.