sackynut

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
Hi all! Well I have a bit of a question and possibly a problem.
Lets see:

Well my PSU was failing on me, so I went out and bought a brand new one. a 650watt. I usually know what I am doing, and once I hooked up the PSU i decided "hey! why dont I flip the 'stupid' switch on and overclock like a madman now that I have a new better PSU".

so I started OCing. it didnt really pass boot that much , but once (with my HT at 1200mhz) I passed boot. I logged in and i got a error message that said something like "one or more of the files contaning the registry is deleted or corrupted" and within about 2 seconds my computer rebooted itself and I decided to go back down to stock settings. My computer SEEMS to bee fine since, and I havent received that error since either.

But im wondering, why/how does OCing mess up the registry?

and

since I have not gotten that message anymore does it mean my registry is back to normal?

I really do not want to reformat again...

dmroeder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
Your registry might have never been messed up. OC'ing can cause all kinds of strange stuff to happen. If it's not giving your trouble now, don't worry about it.

bugme1

Distinguished
May 22, 2006
now i dont know much about this, but my guess is it read the registry too fast and skipped a couple lines. but thats just a hunch.