First build problems -- possible solution?

For anyone interested, this is the complete story on my problems with this build: http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=228614&highlight=

Latest update:
I just swapped in a video card I picked up at Best Buy for cheap and the system fired up. The screen flashed a few sets of data and now says "Disk boot failure" which I assume to mean that there is no boot disk since the system is just the mobo, GPU, CPU, and RAM on top of a cardboard box.

The card I picked up at Best Buy is a 7300 GS. The card I originally had was a 8800 GTS 320MB. In light of recent developments, do you think it is 100% the 8800GTS that is the problem? I will be packing up the old card and RMA it to newegg, but I want to make sure there isn't another possible problem.
5 answers Last reply
More about first build problems solution
  1. That's what I would conclude, based on what you've posted. Go for the RMA.
  2. im going with mondoman on this one, RMA
  3. You keep saying that you are not getting any beep codes. Does your case have a speaker? If it doesn't you won't get beep codes. You can purchase a case speaker replacement at www.bestbyteinc.com. It doesn't require a case speaker to operate and attaches to the front panel where the speaker connnection connects.
  4. What is the exact model of your PSU. The 7300 would draw less power and might work on a marginal power supply.
  5. Quote:
    You keep saying that you are not getting any beep codes. Does your case have a speaker? If it doesn't you won't get beep codes. You can purchase a case speaker replacement at www.bestbyteinc.com. It doesn't require a case speaker to operate and attaches to the front panel where the speaker connnection connects.

I installed a speaker on the motherboard when I was having that problem.

@alcattle

I have a Corsair 520w PSU. I have already sent the GPU to newegg for a replacement. I was concerned the 7300 was working on what could still be a faulty PSU so I picked another one (PSU) up at Best But and no dice on that one either. Is it possible I got two faulty PSUs? Yeah, but I figured unlikely.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Build Systems