Sign in with
Your question

First build problems -- possible solution?

Last response: in Systems
April 3, 2007 6:43:06 PM

For anyone interested, this is the complete story on my problems with this build: http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&...

Latest update:
I just swapped in a video card I picked up at Best Buy for cheap and the system fired up. The screen flashed a few sets of data and now says "Disk boot failure" which I assume to mean that there is no boot disk since the system is just the mobo, GPU, CPU, and RAM on top of a cardboard box.

The card I picked up at Best Buy is a 7300 GS. The card I originally had was a 8800 GTS 320MB. In light of recent developments, do you think it is 100% the 8800GTS that is the problem? I will be packing up the old card and RMA it to newegg, but I want to make sure there isn't another possible problem.
April 3, 2007 7:14:20 PM

That's what I would conclude, based on what you've posted. Go for the RMA.
April 3, 2007 11:07:34 PM

im going with mondoman on this one, RMA
Related resources
April 9, 2007 7:24:55 AM

You keep saying that you are not getting any beep codes. Does your case have a speaker? If it doesn't you won't get beep codes. You can purchase a case speaker replacement at www.bestbyteinc.com. It doesn't require a case speaker to operate and attaches to the front panel where the speaker connnection connects.
April 9, 2007 7:40:01 AM

What is the exact model of your PSU. The 7300 would draw less power and might work on a marginal power supply.
April 12, 2007 4:45:21 PM

Quote:
You keep saying that you are not getting any beep codes. Does your case have a speaker? If it doesn't you won't get beep codes. You can purchase a case speaker replacement at www.bestbyteinc.com. It doesn't require a case speaker to operate and attaches to the front panel where the speaker connnection connects.

I installed a speaker on the motherboard when I was having that problem.

@alcattle

I have a Corsair 520w PSU. I have already sent the GPU to newegg for a replacement. I was concerned the 7300 was working on what could still be a faulty PSU so I picked another one (PSU) up at Best But and no dice on that one either. Is it possible I got two faulty PSUs? Yeah, but I figured unlikely.
!