Driver / OS Download Order

Friggin-noob

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
Doing my first build Friday, (with the components in the sig), for a gaming / light internet rig, but I've got yet ANOTHER potentially obvious question: what's the order for the driver / OS installation?

This might end up being answered once I go feet-wet, and assumes no problems with the build, insh'Allah. But right now I'm looking at disks for Windows XP, the DS3 and the VGA, plus whatever latest online dls and local provider modem I've got onhand.

I've RTFM, but it seems to be a little odd that I'd need to load WXP to load the VGA driver so I could see what I'm doing when I load WXP.

Thanks for any help!

billsone

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2006
Doing my first build Friday, (with the components in the sig), for a gaming / light internet rig, but I've got yet ANOTHER potentially obvious question: what's the order for the driver / OS installation?

This might end up being answered once I go feet-wet, and assumes no problems with the build, insh'Allah. But right now I'm looking at disks for Windows XP, the DS3 and the VGA, plus whatever latest online dls and local provider modem I've got onhand.

I've RTFM, but it seems to be a little odd that I'd need to load WXP to load the VGA driver so I could see what I'm doing when I load WXP.

Thanks for any help!

I think you are asking the procedure for installing the OS and drivers for a new build? A simple instruction would be to go into BIOS and select the DVD/CD drive as the first boot device, save and exit BIOS. Place the Windows XP disk in the DVD/CD tray and boot to the Windows CD. Follow the instructions and load xp OS onto your HD. Next you would want to place your MB driver CD and load all the system drivers including the chipset drivers from that CD. You could load the a driver for your nvidia video card next. Next you would want to load the necessary drivers to get online. Finally get all the updates for your newly installed Windows XP OS. Also, check your MB website for any additional updated drivers you system may use.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
A lot of the mobo driver CDs have an option to Auto load or what ever they call it. If not, I always install the chipset driver first. While time consuming, reboot when asked rather than install all the drivers and then reboot.