Configuring Internet Explorer for use with wireless LAN

June 30, 2005 10:51:56 PM

Dear all,

My roommate has an Apple Airport Express for his Powerbook (sorry...).
I'd like to use this for internet access. However, I can't seem to get
Internet explorer to use the Wifi adapter. It keeps asking for a modem
device and a telephone number...

Could someone explain to me how I can get IE to understand that it has
to use the Wifi connection?

PDA: Fujitsu-Siemens Loox 720
Windows Mobile 2003 SE
Airport Express is visible and accessable.

Thanks a lot,
Gert
Anonymous
June 30, 2005 10:51:57 PM

Gert,

Am I correct in assuming that this Airport Express is a WiFi card for the
Powerbook? And you are wanting to Ad-Hoc network to it via your Pocket PC
device to access the internet?

If that is the case, make sure that the WiFi card is in Ad-hoc mode then
have your P/PC use it as the Access Point. I'm not 100% sure this will
work.

Regards,

--
Clinton Fitch
Senior Editor / Owner

"Gert Wiersema" <gj_junior@donder.op> wrote in message
> Dear all,
>
> My roommate has an Apple Airport Express for his Powerbook (sorry...).
> I'd like to use this for internet access. However, I can't seem to get
> Internet explorer to use the Wifi adapter. It keeps asking for a modem
> device and a telephone number...
>
> Could someone explain to me how I can get IE to understand that it has
> to use the Wifi connection?
>
> PDA: Fujitsu-Siemens Loox 720
> Windows Mobile 2003 SE
> Airport Express is visible and accessable.
>
> Thanks a lot,
> Gert

Anonymous
July 2, 2005 6:23:49 PM

> Am I correct in assuming that this Airport Express is a WiFi card
> for the Powerbook? And you are wanting to Ad-Hoc network to
> it via your Pocket PC device to access the internet?

No. The Airport is an access point. He has a wlan card in his
Powerbook. The Airport can host up to 10 connections and we already
configured the pocketPC to see the Airport (E2C makes a connection and
it's visible in the "taskbar" on the ppc: "The internet, Wlan, perfect
reception").

The problem is getting IE, Outlook and MSN to use that connection. In
settings, you always bump into selecting a modem etc... and the wlan
connection (up and running) cannot be selected...

Help!
Gert

--
This is an automatic signature of MesNews.
Site : http://www.mesnews.net

Gert,

Okay, what Pocket PC are you using? Does it have built-in WiFi or are you
using an expansion card?

Also, are you getting any connection at all?

Make sure that the security settings on the P/PC and the AP are the same for
starters. Also make sure that the AP has support for 802.11b enabled.

Regards,

--
Clinton Fitch
Senior Editor / Owner

"Gert Wiersema" <gj_junior@nee.nee> wrote in message
>> Am I correct in assuming that this Airport Express is a WiFi card
>> for the Powerbook? And you are wanting to Ad-Hoc network to
>> it via your Pocket PC device to access the internet?
>
> No. The Airport is an access point. He has a wlan card in his Powerbook.
> The Airport can host up to 10 connections and we already configured the
> pocketPC to see the Airport (E2C makes a connection and it's visible in
> the "taskbar" on the ppc: "The internet, Wlan, perfect reception").
>
> The problem is getting IE, Outlook and MSN to use that connection. In
> settings, you always bump into selecting a modem etc... and the wlan
> connection (up and running) cannot be selected...
>
> Help!
> Gert
>
> --
> This is an automatic signature of MesNews.
> Site : http://www.mesnews.net

Anonymous
July 4, 2005 6:20:22 AM

> Okay, what Pocket PC are you using?

Fujitsu-Siemens Loox 720.

> Does it have built-in WiFi or are you
> using an expansion card?

On-board.

> Also, are you getting any connection at all?

Yes.

The "Connectmobility E2C" software enables you to easily connect to a
Wlan network. This works. I have this icon in the "taskbar" which tells
me I have a connection to "the internet" through the Airport (excellent
reception).

From within the E2C software you can open Internet Explorer (and MSN
etc.). Nevertheless the message keeps popping up that the page cannot
be found...

It seems that IE just does not understand that it has to use the Wlan
connection to access the internet...

Gert

--
This is an automatic signature of MesNews.
Site : http://www.mesnews.net
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 6:20:23 AM

sounds like you are not achieving a complete connection... number of
things that could be going on... try the troubleshooting steps at

http://BevHoward.com/NetWk.htm

and report back with the results of the vxUtil and the ping tests.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 7:48:29 PM

> and report back with the results of the vxUtil and the ping tests.

Running the Info function I get:

Current IP:
My_PDA
169.etcetera... (looks ok)

In Adapters there's the Loox built-in Wlan adapter:

IP Address: 169.same.as.above
Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0
Def gateway: 0.0.0.0
Primary DNS: -
Sec DNS: -
Primary WINS: -
Sec Wins: -
DHCP: 255.255.255.255
Lease: today blahblah
Expires: Idem as obtained?

Pinging does not work. Strange enough the first ping does (for example
192.168.0.1, which should be the router), but then it fails
(192.168.0.1 as well).

I still can see the antenna icon in the "systray" and when I click on
it, it tells me I have a connection with the Airport and an IP address.

Arghh!
Gert

--
This is an automatic signature of MesNews.
Site : http://www.mesnews.net
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 7:49:08 PM

On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 15:48:29 +0200, "Gert Wiersema"
<gj_junior@nee.nee> wrote:

>> and report back with the results of the vxUtil and the ping tests.
>
>Running the Info function I get:
>
>Current IP:
> My_PDA
> 169.etcetera... (looks ok)

IP addresses (no need to hide this one) starting with 169.x.x.x are
addresses which mean "No DHCP server was found" : The IP address
remains at 169.x.x.x until your PDA is assigned an IP by the router,
at which point it will probably be a 192.168.x.x address instead.

>In Adapters there's the Loox built-in Wlan adapter:
>IP Address: 169.same.as.above
>Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0
>Def gateway: 0.0.0.0

No gateway = no internet

No DNS = no lookup of names for websites like http://www.google.com
instead of http://66.249.87.99 (DNS does the 'friendly name' lookups)

>Primary WINS: -
>Sec Wins: -
>DHCP: 255.255.255.255
>Lease: today blahblah
>Expires: Idem as obtained?
>

>Pinging does not work. Strange enough the first ping does (for example
>192.168.0.1, which should be the router), but then it fails
>(192.168.0.1 as well).

Can't explain that. Could be a bug in the ping software, cause you
can't reach 192.168.0.1 (from 169.x.x.x with a subnet 255.255.0.0 ;-))

>I still can see the antenna icon in the "systray" and when I click on

It's possible to be 'connected' to the access point without ever
getting an IP address. All's happened is the AP is letting you see its
'beacon' to let you know it's there.

>it, it tells me I have a connection with the Airport and an IP address.

Your DHCP server ain't working otherwise you'd have a gateway, valid
IP address and most likely DNS servers listed. The problem is on the
Airport - can anything else connect ?

Cheers - Neil
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 7:49:09 PM

to sum up Neil's email, the tests show you do not have a complete
connection to the network.

Basically, from your results post, your ppc is not being assigned an ip
address by whatever is serving dhcp... and the reason for that could run
from no connection, bad wep to the dhcp not recognizing the ppc as a
valid connection.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 7:49:10 PM

Look at the general troubleshooting help on this page...

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/WM2003/WirelessCo...

....including help setting up your Connection Manager for "Work"...

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

benefit of all of us...
rights...

message news:upsZzxMgFHA.3428@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> to sum up Neil's email, the tests show you do not have a complete
> connection to the network.
>
> Basically, from your results post, your ppc is not being assigned an ip
> address by whatever is serving dhcp... and the reason for that could run
> from no connection, bad wep to the dhcp not recognizing the ppc as a valid
> connection.

July 5, 2005 8:38:36 PM

<< cut >>

Guys, all of you,

Thanks for the help. It looks like I'll have to find out what this
Airport thing needs from the PDA (and vice versa) to get a connection
up and running. I'll ask the owner to help me out.

I now know that the IP address must be something like 192.168.0.n and
there MUST be gateway and DNS server adresses. Ok.

And what about using Wifi on school/office (if available)? Which
settings are the most likely?

With E2C software I can set these values:

Authentication:
- Open
- Shared

Encryption:
- None
- WEP

I understand that with WEP encryption, you'll need key(s) which you'll
have to obtain from someone. So a public Wifi network would be set to
none. Is that correct?

TCP/IP settings would be server assigned.
Servers (DNS/WINS) as well.

And should I enable "this network connects to the internet"? (let me
guess: yes?)

Thanks again!
Gert

--