only one SIM works

Last response: in Network Providers
December 29, 2004 10:07:31 AM

I have two Cingular SIMs, *both* allow me to access to Internet ( GPRS
) and phone ( of course ).

I have two PDAs : Siemen SX66 and Nokia 6620.

When I put SIM-A on either device, I can use my notebook to connect to
the PDA via bluetooth to access the Internet

When I put SIM-B on either device, I can not establish the internet
connection with the same configurarion I used above.

And when I use SIM-B, sometimes the dialup network dialog ( on the
notebook ) returns the phone line is busy, sometimes it does connect
but only for 1-2 seconds, and sometimes it hangs at the message
"Registering your computer to the network".

I use the following "well-known" parms : WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM,
CINGULAR1, and *99# for user,passwd, and phone.
Any advice is greatly appreciated,

Vu

More about : sim works

Anonymous
December 29, 2004 9:04:17 PM

In <1104332851.391943.90770@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com> on 29 Dec 2004
07:07:31 -0800, "dt1649651@yahoo.com" <dt1649651@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I have two Cingular SIMs, *both* allow me to access to Internet ( GPRS
>) and phone ( of course ).
>
>I have two PDAs : Siemen SX66 and Nokia 6620.
>
>When I put SIM-A on either device, I can use my notebook to connect to
>the PDA via bluetooth to access the Internet
>
>When I put SIM-B on either device, I can not establish the internet
>connection with the same configurarion I used above.
>
>And when I use SIM-B, sometimes the dialup network dialog ( on the
>notebook ) returns the phone line is busy, sometimes it does connect
>but only for 1-2 seconds, and sometimes it hangs at the message
>"Registering your computer to the network".
>
>I use the following "well-known" parms : WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM,
>CINGULAR1, and *99# for user,passwd, and phone.
>Any advice is greatly appreciated,

Call Customer Care, and have all available updates "pushed" to SIM-B.
Also, check to see if one is 32K and the other is 64K.

December 29, 2004 10:15:59 PM

John Navas wrote:

> In <1104332851.391943.90770@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com> on 29 Dec
2004
> 07:07:31 -0800, "dt1649651@yahoo.com" <dt1649651@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >I have two Cingular SIMs, *both* allow me to access to Internet (
GPRS
> >) and phone ( of course ).
> >
> >I have two PDAs : Siemen SX66 and Nokia 6620.
> >
> >When I put SIM-A on either device, I can use my notebook to connect
> >the PDA via bluetooth to access the Internet
> >
> >When I put SIM-B on either device, I can not establish the internet
> >connection with the same configurarion I used above.
> >
> >And when I use SIM-B, sometimes the dialup network dialog ( on the
> >notebook ) returns the phone line is busy, sometimes it does connect
> >but only for 1-2 seconds, and sometimes it hangs at the message
> >"Registering your computer to the network".
> >
> >I use the following "well-known" parms : WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM,
> >CINGULAR1, and *99# for user,passwd, and phone.
> >Any advice is greatly appreciated,
>
> Call Customer Care, and have all available updates "pushed" to SIM-B.
> Also, check to see if one is 32K and the other is 64K.

John, thanks a lot for the hint. Yes, SIM-B ( that has problem ) is
32K, and the other 64K.

I called Cingular support. The first time the techsup told me he pushed
the updates to my SIM. After I reboot my PDA I still have the same
problem.

I called Cingular the 2nd time. This time I did mention has the mark
32K on it. They asked me to bring the SIM to a Cingular local store to
exchange the 64K Sim.

Does it mean that if I have the Sim 32K then I have to change it ?
And if I have a SIM64K with mentioned problems then I just need to have
the updates ?

Thanks again, John.

Vu
Related resources
December 30, 2004 12:35:31 PM

dt1649651@yahoo.com wrote:

> John Navas wrote:
>
>>[POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
>>
>>In <1104332851.391943.90770@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com> on 29 Dec
>
> 2004
>
>>07:07:31 -0800, "dt1649651@yahoo.com" <dt1649651@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>

>>>I have two Cingular SIMs, *both* allow me to access to Internet (
>
> GPRS
>
>>>) and phone ( of course ).
>>>
>>>I have two PDAs : Siemen SX66 and Nokia 6620.
>>>
>>>When I put SIM-A on either device, I can use my notebook to connect

>>>the PDA via bluetooth to access the Internet
>>>
>>>When I put SIM-B on either device, I can not establish the internet
>>>connection with the same configurarion I used above.
>>>
>>>And when I use SIM-B, sometimes the dialup network dialog ( on the
>>>notebook ) returns the phone line is busy, sometimes it does connect
>>>but only for 1-2 seconds, and sometimes it hangs at the message
>>>"Registering your computer to the network".
>>>
>>>I use the following "well-known" parms : WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM,
>>>CINGULAR1, and *99# for user,passwd, and phone.
>>>Any advice is greatly appreciated,
>>
>>Call Customer Care, and have all available updates "pushed" to SIM-B.
>>Also, check to see if one is 32K and the other is 64K.
>>

> John, thanks a lot for the hint. Yes, SIM-B ( that has problem ) is
> 32K, and the other 64K.
>
> I called Cingular support. The first time the techsup told me he pushed
> the updates to my SIM. After I reboot my PDA I still have the same
> problem.
>
> I called Cingular the 2nd time. This time I did mention has the mark
> 32K on it. They asked me to bring the SIM to a Cingular local store to
> exchange the 64K Sim.
>
> Does it mean that if I have the Sim 32K then I have to change it ?
> And if I have a SIM64K with mentioned problems then I just need to have
> the updates ?
>
> Thanks again, John.
>
> Vu

I'm not John nor do I pretend to be, but it seems to me that even if a
new profile is pushed to the 32k SIM, the lack of SIM capacity means it
still won't have the capability to actually use the new profile, ergo,
problem remains with the 32k SIM.

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'

> dt1649651@yahoo.com wrote:
>

> > I called Cingular the 2nd time. This time I did mention has the mark
> > 32K on it. They asked me to bring the SIM to a Cingular local store to
> > exchange the 64K Sim.

Did they tell you they'll charge you $20 for a 64K sim?
December 30, 2004 9:04:58 PM

Jack Zwick wrote:

>>dt1649651@yahoo.com wrote:
>>

>>>I called Cingular the 2nd time. This time I did mention has the mark
>>>32K on it. They asked me to bring the SIM to a Cingular local store to
>>>exchange the 64K Sim.
>

> Did they tell you they'll charge you $20 for a 64K sim?

They didn't charge me a dime for either SIM. It's called the nice face
discount.

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'

"Jer" <gdunn@airmail.ten> wrote in message
| Jack Zwick wrote:

| > Did they tell you they'll charge you $20 for a 64K sim?
|

| They didn't charge me a dime for either SIM. It's called the nice face
| discount.

I exchanged my wife's old Bellsouth 16k sim for a 32k sim about a year ago
so she could get GPRS access. It wouldn't work with the 16k SIM. We weren't
charged for it either. I am now getting two new phones, and both are being
shipped with 64k SIMs also. No charge for the 2 V551s or the SIMs. Of course
the latter is a little different situation.
Anonymous
December 30, 2004 11:36:31 PM

Jer wrote:
> Jack Zwick wrote:

> > Did they tell you they'll charge you $20 for a 64K sim?
>

> They didn't charge me a dime for either SIM. It's called the nice
face
> discount.

This afternoon I went to a local Cingular store, told them the story
and they gave me the 64k SIM without charge ( infact, the receipt shows
+$24 and then credit $24 ) . When I asked if they need to push the
latest updates to this new SIM, the technician looked confused. I think
I have to call the 1-800 number and ask them to push the updates.

Vu
Anonymous
December 31, 2004 12:15:26 AM

"Hierophant" <nospam@duh.net> wrote in message

> "Jer" <gdunn@airmail.ten> wrote in message

> | > Did they tell you they'll charge you $20 for a 64K sim?
> |

> | They didn't charge me a dime for either SIM. It's called the nice face
> | discount.
> |

> I exchanged my wife's old Bellsouth 16k sim for a 32k sim about a year ago
> so she could get GPRS access. It wouldn't work with the 16k SIM. We
weren't
> charged for it either. I am now getting two new phones, and both are being
> shipped with 64k SIMs also. No charge for the 2 V551s or the SIMs. Of
course
> the latter is a little different situation.

It's all in the approach.

Be polite and mention that CS said you may need a new SIM. Explain the
problem. If all else fails drop a hint that you'll be looking to upgrade or
add-a-line soon. We are paid by commission. :-)

If someone comes into the store and proceeds to tell me they've been a
customer since the 40's, has a million phones, with the million dollar per
year family plan and demands something....I charge 'em.

--
SS
December 31, 2004 1:19:20 AM

Shaolin Superfly wrote:

> "Hierophant" <nospam@duh.net> wrote in message
>
>>"Jer" <gdunn@airmail.ten> wrote in message

>>| They didn't charge me a dime for either SIM. It's called the nice face
>>| discount.
>>|

>>I exchanged my wife's old Bellsouth 16k sim for a 32k sim about a year ago
>>so she could get GPRS access. It wouldn't work with the 16k SIM. We
>
> weren't
>
>>charged for it either. I am now getting two new phones, and both are being
>>shipped with 64k SIMs also. No charge for the 2 V551s or the SIMs. Of
>
> course
>
>>the latter is a little different situation.
>

> It's all in the approach.
>
> Be polite and mention that CS said you may need a new SIM. Explain the
> problem. If all else fails drop a hint that you'll be looking to upgrade or
> add-a-line soon. We are paid by commission. :-)
>
> If someone comes into the store and proceeds to tell me they've been a
> customer since the 40's, has a million phones, with the million dollar per
> year family plan and demands something....I charge 'em.
>
> --
> SS

Engage the wayback machine, set time scale for 1971, detail location for
department store credit dept. On any particular day, Mr. Big Tough
Person storms in slinging spit proclaiming his wallet is bigger than
mine and his kid is smarter than mine and his dick is bigger than
mine... got the picture? Okay, figger this Mr. Richer Smarter Big Dick
Person... ching ching. NEXT?! And people wonder why I get the nice
face discount. Any questions?

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'

Today I called Cingular several times, and the outcome seems to go some
other direction.

First of all, my SIM is 64K. Then it has been updated. I could see the
popup message on the PDA saying SIM updated and ask me to power off/on.

After powring on and off ( I took the battery out and put it back ).
Still have same problem.

I called Cingular again, and this time they told me that I have to have
"data package" in order to be able to connect from laptop to phone to
access Internet. This is really the differnece between my two SIMs: one
has Wireless Internet Express and the other has data service.

I think if I have Wireless Internet Express then the phone can access
Internet (1) and then the laptop can use this phone as gateway to get
to the Internet (2).
I know (1) is correct because I can access Internet from the phone
itself.
How about (2) ?
According to Cingular, I can not have (2) even if my phone can access
Internet.

I am looking forward to having your advice,
Thanks, and HAPPY NEW YEAR !!!!

Vu
Anonymous
January 1, 2005 5:45:27 AM

In <1104542656.527509.242040@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com> on 31 Dec 2004
17:24:16 -0800, "dt1649651@yahoo.com" <dt1649651@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I called Cingular again, and this time they told me that I have to have
>"data package" in order to be able to connect from laptop to phone to
>access Internet. This is really the differnece between my two SIMs: one
>has Wireless Internet Express and the other has data service.

Huh? Wireless Internet Express is data service.

>I think if I have Wireless Internet Express

Or a MEdia package.

>then the phone can access
>Internet (1) and then the laptop can use this phone as gateway to get
>to the Internet (2).

The phone looks like a modem to the laptop, not a gateway.

>I know (1) is correct because I can access Internet from the phone
>itself.
>How about (2) ?
>According to Cingular, I can not have (2) even if my phone can access
>Internet.

If the phone can access the Internet (e.g., email), not just WAP, then the
laptop can use it to access the Internet too.

January 3, 2005 9:35:28 AM

John Navas wrote:

[...]
> If the phone can access the Internet (e.g., email), not just WAP,
then the
> laptop can use it to access the Internet too.

Yes, my phone and SIM can. I can access my corporate emails thru IMAP4.
I even do not use the builtin MediaNet settings. I created a connection
with well-known parms as mentioned in my original post, and no problem.

What else can I do ?
It took me two years for this problem :-) ( since 2004 to 2005 ).

Vu
Anonymous
January 3, 2005 2:30:44 PM

[POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular; PLEASE REPLY THERE]

In <1104762928.914325.39880@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
"dt1649651@yahoo.com" <dt1649651@yahoo.com> wrote:

>John Navas wrote:
>>
>[...]
>> If the phone can access the Internet (e.g., email), not just WAP,
>then the
>> laptop can use it to access the Internet too.
>
>Yes, my phone and SIM can. I can access my corporate emails thru IMAP4.
>I even do not use the builtin MediaNet settings. I created a connection
>with well-known parms as mentioned in my original post, and no problem.
>
>What else can I do ?
>It took me two years for this problem :-) ( since 2004 to 2005 ).

If you have a MEdia package, rather than Wireless Internet Express, then use
the MEdia settings (as configured in the phone).

--
Best regards,
John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/&gt;

John, thanks for the reply.

I finally figure out what the problem is.

- SIM-A has a package called PD-connect with 5Mb. ( In fact, I am not
sure what package this SIM has and Cingular Customer Care gave me that
name. When the bill comes I will know exactly what it is. ). For this
SIM, either the default MEdia Net ( on a SX66 ) or a customed
connection with WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM ( on both SX66 and a Nokia 6620 )
works with the bluetooth from my notebook., And on my notebook, I use
the WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM also.

- SIM-B ( that had problems before ) has Wireless Internet Excess with
isp.cingular. This SIM works with both wap.cingular and isp.cingular
by itself. But with bluetooth connection from notebook, the Internet
connection was dropped. and I accidentally found the problem when I
accidentally connected *by the phone* to Internet with isp.cingular and
disconnected it. *After that* the bluetooth connection went well. Ahah,
this means there is some settings on the modem that the phone sets
correctly but the Dialup from the notebook does not. A quick seach on
Google shows me the string at+cgdcont=1,"ip","apn". Replacing apn with
isp.cingular, then my bluetooth connection works immediately with the
phone.
Thanks, John, for bearing with me, and for your helpful web page.

Vu
!