Sign in with
Your question

problem with attachments!!

Last response: in Networking
December 28, 2003 7:06:44 PM

In the last couple of days I have received e-mails with word attachments from 2 sources,each using a different ISP.
When I try to open them via Outlook Express, I get the message "OE removed access to the following unsafe attachemnts in your mail"even though i know them to be safe.
When I try to open them via mail2web, I am told that it does not recognise the originating programme even though it is clear it is Word.
But zipped attachments will open in Outlook Express!!
On the other hand if I forward the e-mails with the individual attachments to my AOL address,I can open them using the same Pc.
My configuration is:Amd Athlon Xp 2000x,mmx,3d now,~1.7 Ghz,480 Ram.,Norton Antivirus and Norton Personal Firewall both enabled,SpeedTouch Adsl Modem.
I hope u can help me!!!!
Thanks

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by andy75 on 12/28/03 04:11 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

More about : problem attachments

December 28, 2003 9:11:55 PM

In OE, under Options and then the Security Tab in the Virus Protection Section near the top of the window, there is a check box for "Do not allow attachments to be opened that could potentially be a virus".

I dont know about the rest of your symptoms, but i got similar messages from OE when I had that box checked, and tried to access attachments.
December 29, 2003 9:37:17 AM

Thankyou!
That worked, but now I've got another question:
When I know the souce of an attachment I've got no problems opening it but if I'm not sure what happens? Does my Norton Antivirus scan things automatically when I open it or do I have to save the attachment first and then scan it manually? how?
Thanks, andy
Related resources
January 1, 2004 10:43:43 AM

Please please answer this last question for me I really want to know if I'm safe.... Thankyou!
January 2, 2004 11:50:04 AM

better do it manually after saving it....usually 99% of the time u'll know if it's a genuine attachment or some junk....provided that u read the name of the attachment and where it came from
!