Slow send to menu

bigbadwolf

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
My send to menu is extremely slow and can take up to 30secs to load, while at the same time managing to slow down the rest of my system to a great extent.
I have no idea what could have caused this problem, and everything else runs very smoothly.

I have only these items on send to menu -

compressed folder
desktop
mail recipient
my documents
floppy A
local disk C
dvd-drive D
local disk E

I cant see how any of these could cause a problem, I do have an image drive by Alcohol 120%, labeled G, but it has been there a long time and this problem is only recent.

If anybody has an idea what could have caused this and how to fix it, I would appreciate it.

ScottyHutch

Distinguished
May 12, 2006
Sorry I don't have an exact answer for you, but I know I've seen this porblem on systems with alot of bloatware running. have you tried some general system clean up such as:

All Programs->Accessories->system Tools->Disk Clean up

Setting the performance option for best performance, Control Panel->System Properties->Advanced Tab

I would also run a program called AdAware (I think) it scans your drive and removes AdWare.

Also, how much RAM do you have installed?

stiffy

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2006
I was able to remedy this by removing a network destination folder - anything remote will cause this problem.

Nigel Brooks

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2011
yes, a network reference causes this. Just create a 'Network' folder in the SendTo folder and put all remote places in there. Then when you do a Right-Click|Send To, you only see the top level items, plus a pop-up for the Network stuff (if you click on it, then it is slow at this point only).

Nigel