Sign in with
Your question

My cpu is 44C when i have great cooling ( i think )

Last response: in Overclocking
April 4, 2007 2:11:10 AM

these are my temps

i have

p180b antec case
2gb coursair 6400
p5b duluxe mobo
e6400 with a zalman hsf

i was wondering what should i do to get the temps lower because this is horrible. I haven't even overclocked my computer yet. I have not did the 100% tests on the cpu so thats basically temps on idle - 10% load on e6400 ( which is 5% on each cpu )

More about : cpu 44c great cooling

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 4, 2007 2:54:41 AM

dt, it is not possible to advise you without complete information. Please test your system, then post the results and variables as shown in the Core 2 Duo Temperature Guide.

Hope this helps,

Comp 8)
April 4, 2007 3:32:17 AM

yeah.. it is hot.

tjunction - 85C

core 1 - 52

core 2 - 51

Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 4, 2007 4:07:10 AM

Quote:
yeah.. it is hot.

No.. it is not.

dt, Core Temp's "Tjunction 85c" field is merely a display of Intel's Tj max specification (shutdown temp), which is information only, is not an active temperature reading, and is not intended to change. Once again, please provide complete information, as shown in the Guide twice:

Quote:
Background

...when expressing Idle & Load test results, it's also necessary to define the variables such as:

Tcase = Idle & Load
Tjunction = Idle & Load, Hottest Core

Ambient = Room Temp
Chipset = Model
C2D = Model
CPU Cooler = Model
Frequency = CPU Clock
Load = Test Program
Motherboard = Model
Vcore = CPU Voltage

Quote:
Results

Tcase (Motherboard Utilities) = 30c Idle, 50c Load (SpeedFan: CPU or Temp X)
Tjunction (TAT) Hottest Core = 45c Idle, 65c Load (SpeedFan: Core 0 / Core 1)

Variables

Ambient = 22c
Chipset = 975X
C2D = E6600
CPU Cooler= AC Freezer 7 Pro
Frequency = 3.6 Ghz
Load = TAT @ 100% 10 minutes
Motherboard = Asus P5W DH
Vcore = 1.45

It is not possible to provide an accurate temperature analysis without complete information.

Comp 8)
April 4, 2007 5:47:43 AM

i was going to ask for his voltage.

But you forget when you bump the voltage on these C2D chips from stock to 1.4V your TDP went from 65W -> 121W something you guys should concider.

That means the heat output generated has nearly doubled.

Dont compare your temps with people on medium/high end water even with a tuniq. You'll lose badly, expecially since water has a bigger edge at higher temps above ambient.
April 4, 2007 7:04:03 AM

aigomorla, Speedfan 4.32 reports his VCore as 1.30V and he said he hasn't even overclocked the system yet. Definitely there is something else going on here. Core Temps reports he's running his E6400 at stock speed 2.13GHz on the Zalman HSF (which one? even with a worst Zalman 7700 Al it can not be that high).
dt, are you sure you have the Zalman HSF seated right? I'd remove the Zalman and take a closer look around one more time. You don't get those temps in idle at stock speed, not even with the Intel HSF. Didn't you forget to apply some AS5 on the heat sink? Just asking, I don't think you have. Leave the case open with the sytem running and watch the temps after 15-20 minutes. How are the temps then?
April 4, 2007 8:29:44 AM

I'd suggest checking the thermal compound and reseating the hsf as well. Also, I was wondering if you'd tried turning the fan speed regulation off in the bios - and if your zalman has the fan regulator that comes with 9700 - try not to use that. ie. make sure it's running full speed.
April 4, 2007 9:22:35 AM

Quote:
aigomorla, Speedfan 4.32 reports his VCore as 1.30V and he said he hasn't even overclocked the system yet. Definitely there is something else going on here. Core Temps reports he's running his E6400 at stock speed 2.13GHz on the Zalman HSF (which one? even with a worst Zalman 7700 Al it can not be that high).
dt, are you sure you have the Zalman HSF seated right? I'd remove the Zalman and take a closer look around one more time. You don't get those temps in idle at stock speed, not even with the Intel HSF. Didn't you forget to apply some AS5 on the heat sink? Just asking, I don't think you have. Leave the case open with the sytem running and watch the temps after 15-20 minutes. How are the temps then?

okey i completely missed his voltage on speedfan. I figured it would be another typical high oc thread. I appologize. Now i have 2 theorys.

It seems you got there a B revsion CPU according to CoreTemp. These off bat run a little hotter then normal C2D chips. if you google it, you'll get tons of hits.

Now another issue is you have a E6400. Im guessing thats a fairly old E6300. Dont get me wrong, the B revsion is an awesome chip, so you got yourself a nice ocer. Anyhow, b4 i drift off, the old E6300/6400 had absolutely horrible non flat IHS. On anandtech we would get ~3-4 posts per day reporting this issue.

Now the easiest way to see how non flat, or how flat your cpu is, take a razor and put the edge against the top. Any visible light means your IHS is not flat. You now have 2 choices if your IHS isnt flat.

1. you can submit an RMA to intel. <would be a waste of a good B revision chip tho>
2. you can lap your IHS to make it flat. Im figuring you ran all your rest, and its just a heat issue your machine is unstable.

You should becareful about option 2. You will void your warrenty. But then again, you already voided it by not using the stock hsf as per intels warrenty guidlines.
April 4, 2007 10:56:09 AM

I thought you were going to leave this forum after the water cooling incident earlier?
April 4, 2007 11:38:59 AM

Quote:

You should becareful about option 2. You will void your warrenty. But then again, you already voided it by not using the stock hsf as per intels warrenty guidlines.

yeah... but who is gonna tell intel that when they are going to rma something? not me.

this is how my computer temps look when i just booted it up as played around for about 20 mins.

Quote:
i was going to ask for his voltage.

But you forget when you bump the voltage on these C2D chips from stock to 1.4V your TDP went from 65W -> 121W something you guys should concider.

That means the heat output generated has nearly doubled.

Dont compare your temps with people on medium/high end water even with a tuniq. You'll lose badly, expecially since water has a bigger edge at higher temps above ambient.

what does the W suppose to be on my e6400?
April 4, 2007 11:59:05 AM

.....er yeah...these kinda posts...
44C that is by no means hot.

core2duos overclock quite a bit without a vcore increase, so we can say the stock voltage is high.
If you are that worried lower your voltage. That will lower the temps.
April 4, 2007 12:37:51 PM

This is morning temperatures. My ambient at night is = 32C to 34C with fan on ( my ceiling fan :)  )

Results:

Ambient = 23C
Chipset = 975X
C2D = E6400
CPU Cooler = CNPS7000A-Cu
Frequency = 2.13 GHZ
Load = TAT @ 100% 10 minutes
Motherboard = Asus p5b duluxe wifi edition
Vcore = 1.30
C1E / EIST = Disabled
CPU Fan = Manual, 100%
Computer Case Fans = Manual 100%
Primary Test = TAT @ 100% 10 Minutes

Tcase (SpeedFan: CPU) = 38c Idle, 52c Load

Tjunction (TAT) Hottest Core = 43c Idle, 59c Load (SpeedFan: Core 0 /

Core 1)
April 4, 2007 1:25:12 PM

Is there a guide for temps using an X2? Yesterday I set up my HTPC with a 3600+. I've tried out speedfan, but primarily I use lm-sensors in ubuntu. Both seem to report the same load temperature - in the 40s, but the sensor isn't labeled well.

When I was configuring lm-sensors, it detected the k8 chip sensors (or at least a set of sensors starting with the characters "k8". An example output is as follows:

[code:1:1bb5163ffb]scott@scott-htpc:~$ sensors
k8temp-pci-00c3
Adapter: PCI adapter
Core0 Temp:
+25°C
Core0 Temp:
+29°C
Core1 Temp:
+23°C
Core1 Temp:
+22°C

it8716-isa-0228
Adapter: ISA adapter
VCore: +1.20 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +4.08 V)
VDDR: +3.22 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +4.08 V)
+3.3V: +0.00 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +4.08 V) ALARM
+5V: +4.95 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +6.85 V)
+12V: +11.97 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +16.32 V)
in5: +0.00 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +4.08 V) ALARM
in6: +0.00 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +4.08 V) ALARM
5VSB: +4.89 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +6.85 V)
VBat: +3.18 V
fan1: 1369 RPM (min = 0 RPM)
fan2: 0 RPM (min = 0 RPM)
fan3: 0 RPM (min = 0 RPM)
temp1: +40°C (low = -1°C, high = +127°C) sensor = diode
temp2: +40°C (low = -1°C, high = +127°C) sensor = thermistor
temp3: +25°C (low = -1°C, high = +127°C) sensor = thermistor
vid: +1.550 V[/code:1:1bb5163ffb]

The above output is after running Folding@Home for 12 hours, so it is very much my load temperatures. I don't find the temperatures under "k8temp-pci-00c3" believable, and under "it8716-isa-0228" items "temp2" and "temp3" never seem to change (the thermistor ones). I think "temp1" might be my CPU temp as detected by the motherboard, so I suppose this would be my case temp and certainly not core temp.

I've got the chip in a HTPC case, so there isn't fantastic airflow, but I do have a Zalman CNPS8000 cooler, with the fan speed turned all the way down. I find "temp1" to be unbelievably low considering the constant CPU loading and the cramped quarters of the case. The CPU is a LOT more energy efficient than the one it's replacing, but I had to underclock my PD820 by 15% just to keep load temps manageable in the same case.

So I'm wondering if there is some trick to the X2 temperature measurement, where I should expect Tcase to be several degrees higher than reported (and Tcore(s) to again be several degrees higher than the true Tcase). Given how cool this chip is (or may be) running, I'm tempted to begin overclocking it right away.

Note: when I open my computer case immediately after shutdown, I can touch the CPU HSF and it's barely warm.
April 4, 2007 2:01:36 PM

Quote:

Results:

Ambient = 23C

I do not see any problem there
April 4, 2007 4:50:54 PM

Quote:
I thought you were going to leave this forum after the water cooling incident earlier?

im in the middle of helping 3 people on this forum. After they've completed there stuff, i am leaving.

Honestly, it seems this forum is too overloaded with koolance junkies, and other people who live on giving wrong advice.

This i just annoys me. So instead of insiting flames in my theads, i decided to go back to my home forums, where my knowledge is more apreciated.

And yes on that forum i did pwn that fool who started to flame me. And im sure that op is going WTF have i lost after linking him those 2 last posts that totally show i was correct.

Anyhow op, i highly suggest you try that razor technique i explained. It worked wel on anandtech, and also cleared a lot of non flat ihs questions. Im highly leaning twords you not having a flat ihs if your getting those temps at a stock setting with a cps9500. your idles should be in the mid 20's and loads near or at 40's if i remember correctly.
April 4, 2007 5:00:08 PM

Quote:

Results:

Ambient = 23C

I do not see any problem there

i just cleaned my e6400 and the fan with some alcohol and placed some of my as4 on it and its lowered about 2 -4 c. I guess the first time I didnt add enough or something.
April 5, 2007 6:11:43 AM

Quote:
just cleaned my e6400 and the fan with some alcohol and placed some of my as4 on it and its lowered about 2 -4 c. I guess the first time I didnt add enough or something.

Now, 38C idle and 52C load temps look much much better than previously 52C idle (and may be 70+C load?) And that's 14C difference, not 2-4C. I guess you made some mistakes the first time, eh? Everybody does from time to time. Anyway, congrats to you, dt. Cooling problem resolved.
April 5, 2007 7:13:40 AM

I have a miniR/120 water cooling system for my cpu and it still runs at 43c-46c when under load.No worries about that temp on air.

Dahak

AMD X2-4400+@2.6 TOLEDO
EVGA NF4 SLI MB
2X EVGA 7950GT KO IN SLI
4X 512MB CRUCIAL BALLISTIX DDR500
WD300GIG HD/SAMSUNG 250GIG HD
ACER 22IN WIDESCREEN LCD 1600X1200
THERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER 850WATT PSU
COOLERMASTER MINI R120
3DMARK05 13,471
April 6, 2007 12:56:30 AM

Quote:
just cleaned my e6400 and the fan with some alcohol and placed some of my as4 on it and its lowered about 2 -4 c. I guess the first time I didnt add enough or something.

Now, 38C idle and 52C load temps look much much better than previously 52C idle (and may be 70+C load?) And that's 14C difference, not 2-4C. I guess you made some mistakes the first time, eh? Everybody does from time to time. Anyway, congrats to you, dt. Cooling problem resolved.

i overclocked my cpu and now i get 52 c idle and 71c load @ 3.20 ghz on e6400 c2d. the cpu ( speed fan ) stays at 35c

regular temps without being overclocked is 38c and 52ish load. problem is fixed but i wish i could do better with that cooling. the cpu ( speedfan) stays at 44c
April 6, 2007 1:33:24 AM

I thought I had heat issues so I decided to lap both my E4300 and my Scythe Ninja. Turned out my heat issue was a non issue. But thats another story. Although I really didnt need to Im glad I did. Both my CPU and my heatsink looked like this:

After lapping to a mere 600grit(3 stages. 200, 400, and 600) and using ceramique I dropped like 8C.
April 6, 2007 2:59:00 AM

Quote:
mere 600grit(3 stages. 200, 400, and 600) and using ceramique I dropped like 8C.

wow, you got skills. i have no idea what that all means but i do see the picutre and the hs is not even at all.

lapping means : "shaving" some of the heat sink stuff off and recoating it with the copper on it and placing it back on the cpu for cooler temps?
!