vidukcom

Distinguished
May 29, 2006
Hi...

I just bought a new motherboard which is Asus P5GD2-X.

The problem occured when I tried to install it with Windows XP Professional CD. It seemed that my SATA Hdd could not be found...

I cannot find any SATA driver for it in the CD or in ASUS website..

Can anybody please help ?
Really appreciate.. Thanks...

dmroeder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
You couldn't seet the HDD in Windows correct? Have you checked to see if you could see it in the BIOS?

You shouldn't have to have a driver for it.

I'm guessing that it needs to be formatted. Go into the control panel and open up the administrative tools. Now double click on computer management. Look at the tree on the right and you will see disk management... click on that. If your BIOS can see the drive, you will see it in there. You probably need to format it, which can be done from there.

vidukcom

Distinguished
May 29, 2006
Hi there...

I can see my HDD in BIOS.. But I have not finished installed my Windows XP yet.. My HDD is blank right now..

When I boot through Windows XP CD and install, it failed when try to search for the hard drive...

Any help ?

Thanks..

dmroeder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
Ah, I see. Windows is not installed yet.

Have you tried connecting it to other ports yet? Maybe the cable?

I would also format it with the utility that came with your hard drive if the above doesn't work. If you didn't get a disc with your HDD, go to the manufacturers website and download the utilies there.

vidukcom

Distinguished
May 29, 2006
The strange thing is it can be deteced in BIOS.. I have also formatted it using other third party tool and it succeeded.. But when I install Windows, it failed.. Don't know why..

I tried to find the SATA driver in ASUS website but can't find one..

Have you or anyone ever go through this experience ?

Regards

dmroeder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
I can't say that I've experienced the same problem. You do not need a driver for SATA because It's built in to your motherboard. Did you try to install it on a single drive instead of your array?

vidukcom

Distinguished
May 29, 2006
Hi there...

Yes, the SATA connector is built in with my motherboard.
What do you mean by installing to a single drive instead of an array ?

I use only one drive and don't set any RAID for it.

After I boot from Windows XP CD and run the install, it will finally failed with a message "Unknown Hard Error....". I've never experienced this error before when I use Paralel HDD.

This is really confusing..

Regards.

dmroeder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
I'm sorry vid, I must have gotten you confused with another poster. Someone was having a similar problem with their RAID array. I'm running out of ideas for your situation. I guess try different ports and maybe a different cable. I would think they are fine since you were able to format them though.

At what point does the install fail?

vidukcom

Distinguished
May 29, 2006
So sorry to confuse you too.. This problem stressed me a lot too..

The install process stopped in the beginning. After the installation proses have loaded the initial file.. and then it said, "Setup is starting Windows", it will hang and show message "Unknown Hard Error... ". It even have not started the Windows installation I mean..

I don't use any RAID.. I use only a SATA HDD... Have try another port and still the same..

Regards.