Problems Switching Users

Hello, this feature worked fine until a few days ago. We have 3 users on
this computer. We used to be able to switch users without having to log
off, but now for some reason we can't switch users. Every time we select
"switch user" we end up back at the log in page & the only user who can log
on is the user that was originally logged on to the system. In order to
change users we have to log off to allow a new user to log on.

Does anyone have an idea how this could have happened? Or even better how
to fix it.

Thanks.
6 answers Last reply
More about problems switching users

    Hi,

    Control Panel/Users applet, click on "change the way users logon and
    logoff". See if Fast User Switching (FUS) is enabled. If not, enable it. If
    it is grayed out, that means that something you changed on the system
    recently is not compatible with it. This could include some software and
    networking protocols. You must also have the Welcome screen logon enabled to
    use FUS.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "GreyWulf" <greywullf@canada.com> wrote in message
    > Hello, this feature worked fine until a few days ago. We have 3 users on
    > this computer. We used to be able to switch users without having to log
    > off, but now for some reason we can't switch users. Every time we select
    > "switch user" we end up back at the log in page & the only user who can
    > log on is the user that was originally logged on to the system. In order
    > to change users we have to log off to allow a new user to log on.
    >
    > Does anyone have an idea how this could have happened? Or even better how
    > to fix it.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Hi Rick, thanks for your response. I checked the settings in the Control
    Panel/Users applet & everything was configured correctly. When you
    mentioned installing something new, I recently upgraded the keyboard from a
    Logitech model to a Microsoft Natural Keyboard, I also installed the
    software for the keyboard. Thanks

    > Hi,
    >
    > Control Panel/Users applet, click on "change the way users logon and
    > logoff". See if Fast User Switching (FUS) is enabled. If not, enable it.
    > If it is grayed out, that means that something you changed on the system
    > recently is not compatible with it. This could include some software and
    > networking protocols. You must also have the Welcome screen logon enabled
    > to use FUS.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "GreyWulf" <greywullf@canada.com> wrote in message
    >> Hello, this feature worked fine until a few days ago. We have 3 users on
    >> this computer. We used to be able to switch users without having to log
    >> off, but now for some reason we can't switch users. Every time we select
    >> "switch user" we end up back at the log in page & the only user who can
    >> log on is the user that was originally logged on to the system. In order
    >> to change users we have to log off to allow a new user to log on.
    >>
    >> Does anyone have an idea how this could have happened? Or even better
    >> how to fix it.
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    Hi,

    Well, I wouldn't think the keyboard switch was the problem, but it's
    possible. I would uninstall the software to see what happens. The keyboard
    will still work, you just wouldn't have the multimedia functions.

    --

    > Hi Rick, thanks for your response. I checked the settings in the Control
    > Panel/Users applet & everything was configured correctly. When you
    > mentioned installing something new, I recently upgraded the keyboard from
    > a Logitech model to a Microsoft Natural Keyboard, I also installed the
    > software for the keyboard. Thanks

    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Control Panel/Users applet, click on "change the way users logon and
    >> logoff". See if Fast User Switching (FUS) is enabled. If not, enable it.
    >> If it is grayed out, that means that something you changed on the system
    >> recently is not compatible with it. This could include some software and
    >> networking protocols. You must also have the Welcome screen logon enabled
    >> to use FUS.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> "GreyWulf" <greywullf@canada.com> wrote in message
    >>> Hello, this feature worked fine until a few days ago. We have 3 users
    >>> on this computer. We used to be able to switch users without having to
    >>> log off, but now for some reason we can't switch users. Every time we
    >>> select "switch user" we end up back at the log in page & the only user
    >>> who can log on is the user that was originally logged on to the system.
    >>> In order to change users we have to log off to allow a new user to log
    >>> on.
    >>>
    >>> Does anyone have an idea how this could have happened? Or even better
    >>> how to fix it.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.

    Hi, I think it may be a video driver problem. I had the same problem after
    a windows update... The update found a "newer and ? Better" video driver for
    my system. I foolishly allowed the update...

    Anyhow, after the updated video driver we could no longer use the quick
    switching, Rolling back the driver wouldn't work, so I un installed my video
    card and started over with a fresh install it works fine now... but I'm
    running a real old driver and don't dare to update again.

    Rina

    "GreyWulf" <greywullf@canada.com> wrote in message
    > Hi Rick, thanks for your response. I checked the settings in the Control
    > Panel/Users applet & everything was configured correctly. When you
    > mentioned installing something new, I recently upgraded the keyboard from
    > a Logitech model to a Microsoft Natural Keyboard, I also installed the
    > software for the keyboard. Thanks

    Rina, thanks for your post, now that you mention it I also automatically
    updated the video driver recently - I had forgotten about it, so I will
    uninstall the newer driver & install the older version. Thanks

    "Rina" <Grammy_Geek@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > Hi, I think it may be a video driver problem. I had the same problem
    > after a windows update... The update found a "newer and ? Better" video
    > driver for my system. I foolishly allowed the update...
    >
    > Anyhow, after the updated video driver we could no longer use the quick
    > switching, Rolling back the driver wouldn't work, so I un installed my
    > video card and started over with a fresh install it works fine now... but
    > I'm running a real old driver and don't dare to update again.
    >
    > Rina
    >

    > "GreyWulf" <greywullf@canada.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi Rick, thanks for your response. I checked the settings in the Control
    >> Panel/Users applet & everything was configured correctly. When you
    >> mentioned installing something new, I recently upgraded the keyboard from
    >> a Logitech model to a Microsoft Natural Keyboard, I also installed the
    >> software for the keyboard. Thanks

    Hi Rina, it was the video driver, once I removed the newer driver and
    installed the older driver it now works fine. Thanks

    > Rina, thanks for your post, now that you mention it I also automatically
    > updated the video driver recently - I had forgotten about it, so I will
    > uninstall the newer driver & install the older version. Thanks
    >

    > "Rina" <Grammy_Geek@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >> Hi, I think it may be a video driver problem. I had the same problem
    >> after a windows update... The update found a "newer and ? Better" video
    >> driver for my system. I foolishly allowed the update...
    >>
    >> Anyhow, after the updated video driver we could no longer use the quick
    >> switching, Rolling back the driver wouldn't work, so I un installed my
    >> video card and started over with a fresh install it works fine now... but
    >> I'm running a real old driver and don't dare to update again.
    >>
    >> Rina
    >>

    >> "GreyWulf" <greywullf@canada.com> wrote in message
    >>> Hi Rick, thanks for your response. I checked the settings in the
    >>> Control Panel/Users applet & everything was configured correctly. When
    >>> you mentioned installing something new, I recently upgraded the keyboard
    >>> from a Logitech model to a Microsoft Natural Keyboard, I also installed
    >>> the software for the keyboard. Thanks

Switch Microsoft Windows XP