is 7200 rpm to slow for gaming?

bitter

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2006
i ad an argument with a friend of mine so the question is this: is a 7200 rpm hdd a bottleneck for gaming and if so can a 10000 rpm hdd give enough performance? i know a raptor is better than a normal hdd but i think that a raid array or maibe even a single 7200 rpm drive can provide enough juice to play everything out there.

mr00000

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2006
Really I'd go as far as saying that a 4200 or 5400 rpm drive isn't too slow for gaming. A single 7200 rpm drive is more than adequate for any gaming.

A lot of people put 2 Raptors in RAID 0 because its e-peen. Some people need it. Other people just like to blow their cash.

I run 2 7200 rpm drives and make use of it. I game a good bit, but if gaming is all I was doing I wouldn't have gotten a raid.

locky28

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
HDD performance should not effect your Frames Per Second (FPS) in any way. The only effect the HDD's performance will have on gaming is level loading times.

The exception is if your graphics card does not have enough vram and textures have to be swapped off the hdd/ram all the time. However with the amount of memory todays cards have this isn't really a big issue.

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
HDD performance should not effect your Frames Per Second (FPS) in any way. The only effect the HDD's performance will have on gaming is level loading times.

The exception is if your graphics card does not have enough vram and textures have to be swapped off the hdd/ram all the time. However with the amount of memory todays cards have this isn't really a big issue.

You said it yourself, it does affect games, when it comes to low memory specs. Not only with low video memory, but sometimes game memory as well (main system). Hence, the answer to his question would be, of course a faster drive would help (negligible difference) but it would be so much wiser to invest that money getting extra RAM and/or a better video card that your question almost makes no sense!

bitter

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2006
so basically all sums to this: it's wiser to buy a decent 200-300 Gb 7200 rpm hdd witch will give you a lot more storage and spend the extra bucks on a better video card or cpu than to go for a raptor. am i right?

monst0r

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2007
definetly, for gaming, spend the extra cash on a video card..that will be the largest bottleneck in gaming MOST of the time

4745454b

Titan
Unless you have a tiny epenis. I laughed at a coworker who bought 2 6600s for SLI. Yes, two 6600s, not even 6600GTs. "But SLI is faster then normal cards" he likes to tell me, but I remind him that I can play games with higher settings with my x1800XT then he can. I think I spent about $10 more then he did.

If you need to compenate for something, get the AID0/raptor. (or if you have the $$$ to burn.) If you are building just a normal gaming rig, be happy with the 7200rpm drive and the 8800GTS/X

sailer

Splendid
For gaming, if you have a good video card and enough ram, a 7200 RPM drive should be adequate, and your're right, if the need for speed is there a couple 7200 Rpm drives in Raid can match a Raptor.

That said, I did buy a Raptor for my new computer, but I use it for business as well as gaming and I decided I wanted faster load times without using Raid. I'll still have a 7200 RPM drive for a second data disc, though.