Digital connection from PC to HDTV monitor

Last response: in Home Theatre
a b C Monitor
October 22, 2004 12:18:46 AM

Forgive me if this has already been discussed--I just discovered this
newsgroup.

I play a lot of videos (generally in AVI format) from my PC to my
current SD TV, using the S-Video output from an ATI Radeon videocard.
The quality is not what I want. I've been thinking about buying an HDTV
monitor, hoping that I could make a digital connection from the PC (via
the videocard's DVI output) to the monitor. However, I came across a
comment on a website
(http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/DVI_monitor_cables.h...) that this
is "not as easy as you might think". Is that true? Do people do this
routinely? I want to get a direct-view CRT monitor, because I believe
it will give the best image quality for the price I can afford (circa
$2K), and I have plenty of space for a large, deep box. The monitor
(TV, actually) that I'm thinking about getting is the Sony KD-34XBR960,
which is widescreen and has an HDMI input (I'm assuming that I can
using a DVI to HDMI converter cable). Anyone have experience connecting
this TV to a PC? I've also thought about using that TV's Firewire input
for the task, but I'm not sure if there's a video player program that
will output to Firewire.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Tom
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
October 30, 2004 9:37:51 AM

Liquid, could you e-mail me with the specific steps you took to get your TV
working as a PC monitor? I also have the Sony KV30HS420 and have it hooked
up to my Radeon 9800 Pro with a DVI-to-HDMI cable. I've been trying to use
Powerstrip but all I can get working is 1280x720p, which is unusable
because there's way too much overscan. The online guides have been no
help. I'd like to see my entire desktop and play games at high-res. Any
assistance you can provide would be GREATLY appreciated.
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
October 30, 2004 5:49:58 PM

Sorry I meant dan not liquid.
a b C Monitor
November 1, 2004 9:43:37 AM

I haven't yet received the DVI-HDMI cable I ordered, so I don't know
yet how sucessful I'll be (your experience is a bit discouraging to
hear...). And, my Sony HDTV is just being delivered today. However,
I'll save your message and let you know if my luck is any better than
yours.

I'm concerned about the overscan issue too, because I watch a lot of
shows with subtitles and they sometimes got chopped off using my
current SDTV-to-PC setup.

In article
<52339ddb34f43d36a4e0118551d30d99@localhost.talkaboutvideo.com>,
draxythe <draxythe@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Liquid, could you e-mail me with the specific steps you took to get your TV
> working as a PC monitor? I also have the Sony KV30HS420 and have it hooked
> up to my Radeon 9800 Pro with a DVI-to-HDMI cable. I've been trying to use
> Powerstrip but all I can get working is 1280x720p, which is unusable
> because there's way too much overscan. The online guides have been no
> help. I'd like to see my entire desktop and play games at high-res. Any
> assistance you can provide would be GREATLY appreciated.
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
November 6, 2004 8:16:08 PM

I'm also using a DVI-to-HDMI cable for my KV27HS420, I'm assuming the
timings would be similar for the 30" model. I'm also having overscan
problems -- I'll keep fiddling with powerstrip, but anything you guys find
out would be greatly appreciated
!