GiVing a second life !?

darkaiwa

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
Hi I Would like to give a second life to my old computer. It's a AMD K6 2XT/500 processor; 100MHz external, 500MHz internal, with technology3DNow!, on a V75M Motherboard, with 184Mb ram. I would like to know if i can do like a LAN storage server, but on a Gigabytes connection? What i plan was to buy a PCI 32bits Gigabytes Ethernet card and a SATA controller PCI card. The thing I want to know is, if it will work and, if i will have a great performance even if its an old comp. Thanks for your help ! :)

Iceblue

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
First, it is gigabits, not gigabytes! There is an 8x difference between the two! 1 gigabyte = 8 gigabit. We aren't quite there with ethernet, yet! :wink:

I wouldn't waste my money adding SATA to a 500MHz PC. You could try it as a NAS by using it as is (presumably, that means something like 100ATA hard drive controller, 100Mbps NIC, Windows 98SE) and setting it up with its hard drive shared on your network and see how it performs. If it can't max out a 100Mbps ethernet (where "max out" means something reaching 70Mbps or so), adding gigabit NIC won't improve things.

If you are just looking for a project for the fun of it, go ahead. I'd probably go with Linux and ditch windows as a next step before I bought any new hardware for this old beast. And if I was going to add hardware, I'd add memory first.

But no matter what, you won't end of with a screamer by any stretch.