50% CPU Usage on Idle, Advice Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

IcY18

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
I just got a new computer from HP, it's running Windows XP Media Center and is an Athlon X2 4200+ with 2 GB of RAM, right now as seen in the screenshot there are over 60 processes using 50% of my CPU, just while idle...i literaly just got the computer 3 days ago, so i haven't installed any random programs and i am annoyed that all these processes are running

taskmanager.jpg

so does anyone know how i can limit the processes or turn off the ones i dont really need...anyhelp will be appreciated, Thanks

dmroeder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
Start - Run - type "msconfig". Go over to the startup tab and start unchecking boxes. 60 Process is a lot. I think mine at home has half that.

Check your startup folder to and delete what you don't want in there.

IcY18

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
yeah msconfig i remember now, i understand that this disables any startup things but i know when i look at it later i am not going to know what half the stuff is...any advice on certain programs that i can disable without having a negative effect on my computer

uwdaveh

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2006
First look over our bottom right corner, there should be tons of program that doesn't need start-ups. Seek through the options to disable them from start-up. I suggest you uninstall that Norton junk on your computer, it's a huge resource hog and sucks anyway. Best alternative is sygate personal firewall and avast antivirus free edition. As with other programs, since I don't know how important it is to your pc, I suggest you go to "all programs" in the start menu and try out each program. If you find you don't need any, uninstall them right away. This way your system can start-up faster and saves a lot of hard drive space as well. One last tip, any process entitled "system" you should leave them alone, unless you really know what you're doing.

vada

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2010
i got the same problem... im using wp HE sp3 i have a core 2 duo at 1.8 ghz 4 gb of ram nvidea gtx 460... and im running constantly at... 40-50 % idle ..this is such____ i am soo annoyed by it itz lagging down all my games... does any one know wqatz the prob..

vada

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2010
i got the same problem... im using wp HE sp3 i have a core 2 duo at 1.8 ghz 4 gb of ram nvidea gtx 460... and im running constantly at... 40-50 % idle ..this is such____ i am soo annoyed by it itz lagging down all my games... does any one know wqatz the prob..

Status
Not open for further replies.