Strangest Windows problem ever! PLEASE HELP!

dwalden

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
Ok. About 6 months ago, my computer started doing some crazy Windows behavior.

1. I cannot move any of the desktop icons.
2. I cannot drag and drop any files, but copy and paste works.
3. I cannot mouse click in between different programs many times and often have to use Alt-Tab to get around windows.

Since this has shown up, I reformatted and installed Windows at least 10 times. I've run numerous virus and spyware programs and found the system to be clean. I even tried a different Windows XP install disc. All drivers and Windows updates are current.

So, I assumed this had to be something hardware related so I dealt with it for a while and this week I finally built a new system. My new system has all new components except hard drive, memory and peripherals like mouse and keyboard. I went to format and install and I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM!!!

I thought after spending $1500 this would be behind me!

Does anyone have any idea what this could be?

dmroeder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
Wow, that's a nice rig! And a really strange problem. It sounds software related, but you've pretty much eliminated that.

Does the problem go away when you re-install and then come back after a period of time? Or is it always there no matter what?

You could test your ram with Memtest86.

I'm sure WD has some diagnostic tools on their website that you could test your HDD with.

Everything sounds like it's related to your mouse doesn't it? It may be a stretch, but have you tried using a different one. You never know.

Post back any results, I'm kind of curious about this one.

dwalden

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
Thanks, it would be a nice rig if it worked.

I've re-formatted and installed Windows a number of times now. Sometimes it shows up immediately after the first bootup into XP. Sometimes it popps up later on while I'm doing updates and setting stuff up.

I'll try a memtest and see what happens. Funny you mention the mouse. I was just looking on Logitech's website for issues with the G5 Laser. I know it's a long shot, but I'm running out of ideas.

dwalden

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
I went home for lunch and istalled a different version of Windows I aquired and changed out my Laser mouse to an old PS/2 one. SO FAR it's working. I'll have to give it more time to be sure.

Undoubtedly... the mouse.

That would have been the first thing I would have tried. If Windows is not locked up and you can navigate just fine with the keyboard... the mouse is the first thing to suspect... especially with the issues you mention using it.

You may have spent $1500 for nothing... when simply replacing the mouse would have fixed your problem.

raging_redneck

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2002
I heavily recommend that you flash your bios if you have not done it already.
And I also recommend that you set up your bios in default mode then see if that works.

Gees

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
Are you using the latest mouse updates, if so try using an earlier version of logitech mouse, that's if you are using it. Usually microsoft likes to kinda use drivers that are not sutiable for the hardware you are using.

I would wait with flashing bios if you are not fimiliar with the how to's. It seems that this doesn't always happen at the exact same moment.

Try changing back the mouse, and see what happens.

If it is a wireless mouse make sure that there are not any conflict with other devices and that the reader is placed where it cannot interfere with monitor or speakers, and other magnets.

Other than that with the info i know, i can't really say much.

Try using the mouse on another comp as well.

hope any of this helps.