duron heatsink on a sempron

elralfaro

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2007
hi

i just recently bought a socket a amd sempron 2600+ as im going to upgrade the cpu on my current pc which is a duron, is it ok to use the heatsink fan thats being used for the duron on the sempron?
would the sempron stay cool with the duron heatsink?

PaCanc

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2006
I think the best thing is to try it.
See if it stays cool enough.
Just put new thermal paste, as someone before me said. (after cleaning the old one from the bottom of the heatsink, of course)

motanu_zapacit

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2006
you should not risk
the k7 were quite hot procs . maybe you could tell me what kind of a cooler do you have...durons were sold as tray so the cooler could be a good performer even for the 2600+ sempron. but , to be honest i don't recommend you using the old cooler. try finding a "new" one :D something with a copper core at least. i have a 1600+ athlon xp and a titan d5tb cooler with a aluminum heatsink and two case fans and the proc is in the 45-50 deg celsius area so... you should expect more from a 2600+... well at least it's not a barton core :twisted:

Dade_0182

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
The K7's were hot because of the arch. I've run a 2500+ BARTON with my old 1100+ Duron's heatsink. Had no problems. Have you tried this or something similar?

Mondoman

Splendid
Just make sure your MB supports the new CPU. I remember that on my old system, I was limited on upgrades, since the MB wouldn't support the newer socket A CPUs.

elralfaro

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2007
i have a aluminium heatsink but its a no name, i think it would be best to use a new heatsink cause i dont think my current one would be able to cope with the sempron everest tells me its running at around 4561 to 4688 rpm, my motherboard does support the sempron 2600+.
since im in australia and heatsinks for socket a's are becoming a rarity not much on ebay, i did find a thermaltake volcano 9 would that do the trick for the sempron?