Help with Xine

dmroeder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
First off, I'm pretty new to Linux. I am running Suse 10.1 right now and I used Mandrake 10.1 for a little while.

I downloaded xine-lib-1.1.1.tar.gz and xine-ui-0.99.4.tar.gz. I put them in a folder that I created (/home/dustin/downloads/xine). I opened a terminal and extracted the lib. Then I navagated to the extracted folder and typed "./configure". Then it comes up with an error

"No acceptable C compiler found in $PATH. See 'config.log' for more details"

The log doesn't provide me with anything that I understand.

What am I missing?

Thanks

linux_0

Splendid
Never mind, I figured it out. I'm an idiot.

I went into Yast and installed gcc. I should have done a little more looking before i posted

No you're not, it's a common problem.

You may have to install some additional libraries and tools as well.

:-D

dmroeder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
Yeah, that was the problem that I was having. After I started paying attention to what it was telling me, I figured it out. It was just getting frustrating.

linux_0

Splendid
Yeah, that was the problem that I was having. After I started paying attention to what it was telling me, I figured it out. It was just getting frustrating.

This is one of the reasons why I normally install everything on most of my installs.

dmroeder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
Live and learn.

I do have a couple of more questions about this. To install Xine, I started with the lib first. I extracted it from the Konsole and then went into the folder and typed ./configure, then make and finally make install. Then I did the same for the xine-ui. Is that the right way to do it.

Where does it install to? Was I supposed to specify where? I just put them in a folder (/home/dustin/Downloads/xine) and worked with them there.

Now for the dumb question... How do I run the app.

Did I mention that I'm new? :oops:

linux_0

Splendid
Live and learn.

I do have a couple of more questions about this. To install Xine, I started with the lib first. I extracted it from the Konsole and then went into the folder and typed ./configure, then make and finally make install. Then I did the same for the xine-ui. Is that the right way to do it.

Where does it install to? Was I supposed to specify where? I just put them in a folder (/home/dustin/Downloads/xine) and worked with them there.

Now for the dumb question... How do I run the app.

Did I mention that I'm new? :oops:

Probably got installed somewhere under /usr/local/

[code:1:310724346a]
find /usr/local/ -iname "*xine*"
[/code:1:310724346a]

You might want to YaST or compile MPlayer as well

http://www.mplayerhq.hu/